Type keyword(s) to search

Summer Games vs. Winter Games

• Start Topic

One more question, because many of us are experiencing P.O.L.D. (Post-Olympic Let-Down):

Summer Games OR Winter Games, which do you prefer and why? 

Discuss!

Winter. Honestly because it just seems more intimate.  There aren't as many events, so I feel I can catch everything. 98% of it, you can tune in and you know what's going on. It also doesn't feel as showy if this makes sense?  And can't lie. Canada is more dominant haha. but I will always love Summer too

• Like 4
  • Love 1

To me, it depends on the individual Olympics.  Some of them just come off so well which such a great vibe you can't help but love them.  Others just don't seem to be to pull off that vibe, so they just aren't as enjoyable.

• Like 1

I've always been a Winter Olympics Stan because the first games I vividly remember viewing all of was Lillehammer 94.  I pretty much watched all of Nagano and SLC but didn't view too much of Atlanta or Sydney.  Not for lack of interest, during Atlanta 13yo me spent her summer time outside and by Sydney I was a senior in high school, damn you homework.

Athens, on the other hand, I was home from school, not working at the time and I watched ALL the coverage.  By Athens I fully loved the summer Olympics.  

In the end Winter still has the edge mainly for figure skating and skiing. It's always a nice surprise when we actually medal in an unusual event since we rarely top the medal count.  We're coming for you Biathlon!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

To me, it depends on the individual Olympics.  Some of them just come off so well which such a great vibe you can't help but love them.  Others just don't seem to be to pull off that vibe, so they just aren't as enjoyable.

I totally agree with you on this. Some Games are just very special, and Paris 2024 definitely goes into that category.

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

Winter. Honestly because it just seems more intimate.  There aren't as many events, so I feel I can catch everything. 98% of it, you can tune in and you know what's going on. It also doesn't feel as showy if this makes sense? 

I feel the same way. I love the Summer Games but they also feel so unwieldy because if they sheer number of events. The Winter Games are way more manhandled as you say, it's easier to watch it all. I also appreciate that the Winter Games force US networks to show us more of other countries because the USA dies not dominate the Winter Games, though in saying that I also miss so many of the smaller countries and countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Pacific because the Winter Games are more 'rich country Games', sonthey lack the diversity TBH. Shit, now I'm torn!

• Like 1

As an avid skier, ski instructor, snow-lover and figure skating fan, I'm biased towards the Winter Games. 

With that said, I love the spirit of the Olympics Games in general and I feel like it was really prominent for the Paris Games. The enthusiasm, the team spirit, athletes supporting each other... I could feel that through the screen! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Winter. My first games was the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano. It lead to a Figure Skating obsession. I got Tara and Michelle posters for my birthday that year. 

• Love 1

Summer for me, because as much as I love figure skating, the summer sports seem more familiar and accessible to me. Plus my beloved SWIMMING!

Also, it's harder to see the Hotties when they are bundled up in parkas. 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I think I prefer the Summer Olympics because there are so many events to watch.  Even though we (Canada) do much better in the Winter Olympics, I find the Summer just more fun. 

I really enjoyed watching these olympics; even though we had some real heartbreaking moments we also had some wonderful moments too.

• Love 1