Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

TV Rusty Sabich is very unlikeable. He comes across as emotionally unbalanced, reckless and pu$$y-whipped. It doesn’t help that am not a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal and his craft. 😣

Ruth Negga is not the right fit to play Barbara Sabich. The actress struggles to emote and she appears to be annoyed most of the time. The teen actors who play the Sabich siblings are a little bit more engaging than their TV mom but they’re just fillers. Movie Barbara is an underdeveloped character. Hopefully TV Barbara won’t be the same.

Renate Reinsve as Carolyn Polhemus doesn’t leave much impression in these 2 episodes. It’s a thankless character anyway.

There’s no Sandy Stern in this series and Det. Dan Lipranzer has been replaced by the monotonous Det. Alana Rodriguez. 😏

Tommy Molto and Nico ‘Delay’ Guardia are just your typical one-note, cartoonish TV villains.

Dr. Liz Rush seems way too emotional and inconsiderate to be a psychiatrist. Why is she taking Barbara’s side? It’s not her job to do so.

Bill Camp makes a compelling Raymond Horgan. This is the only thing that I like in this series.

With unlikeable protagonist and antagonists, it’s been a dreadful two episodes for me. Am out.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

TV Rusty Sabich is very unlikeable. He comes across as emotionally unbalanced, reckless and pu$$y-whipped. It doesn’t help that am not a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal and his craft. 😣

Ruth Negga is not the right fit to play Barbara Sabich. The actress struggles to emote and she appears to be annoyed most of the time. The teen actors who play the Sabich siblings are a little bit more engaging than their TV mom but they’re just fillers. Movie Barbara is an underdeveloped character. Hopefully TV Barbara won’t be the same.

Renate Reinsve as Carolyn Polhemus doesn’t leave much impression in these 2 episodes. It’s a thankless character anyway.

There’s no Sandy Stern in this series and Det. Dan Lipranzer has been replaced by the monotonous Det. Alana Rodriguez. 😏

Tommy Molto and Nico ‘Delay’ Guardia are just your typical one-note, cartoonish TV villains.

Dr. Liz Rush seems way too emotional and inconsiderate to be a psychiatrist. Why is she taking Barbara’s side? It’s not her job to do so.

Bill Camp makes a compelling Raymond Horgan. This is the only thing that I like in this series.

With unlikeable protagonist and antagonists, it’s been a dreadful two episodes for me. Am out.

I agree with all of this!  However, I think I'll stick with it out of curiosity. 

Movie Barbara is an undeveloped character. 

Spoiler

I guess they had to do it that way to misdirect audience as was required there. 

• Like 3

I thought the actress playing Barbara has a very difficult task, to deal with infidelity but make it convincing that she still wants to be in the marriage.

Well she was until the cops came to arrest him.  So will Barbara stick it out?  I've never seen the actress before but heard she has a rep so they probably plan to have the character around, presumably as more than just the cheated-on wife.

Yeah the whole walls came down around Rusty right away.  Unless I missed some bread crumbs in the first episode, it seems a rapid progression from dutiful prosecutor to the guy who was stalking the victim and got her pregnant.

Prestige TV podcast says Rusty was conniving, the way he talked Carolyn's ex into speaking with him but they were comparing Rusty in some ways to some previous roles Gyllenhall has had, such as The Nightcrawler, which I didn't see.

It's strange, they keep showing his memories of having sex with her from behind, with him on top and her laying on her stomach.

Spoiler

One thing I recall about the movie was Greta Scacchi lying like that on her stomach but it was a post coital scene, to show a glimpse of their affair, why he couldn't resist her.

• Like 1

I'm really not loving this so far. I agree with others that Ruth Negga doesn't seem quite right as Rusty's wife. I have no sympathy or interest in Rusty, so it's going to be a tough haul to watch an entire series. The actress playing Carolyn is fine, but not particularly compelling. I'll probably watch the whole thing to satisfy my curiosity, but it's feeling draggy and slow so far. The most interesting characters to me are Rusty's boss, and his reptilian rival played by Peter Sarsgaard. I'm also a fan of Lily Rabe, so I'm in for awhile at least.

• Like 2

I just started the series.  I enjoyed the book and movie.  I keep getting distracted by the former D.A. because that actor is also the new voice/narrator of Forensic Files II.

• LOL 1
On 6/12/2024 at 10:46 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

It doesn’t help that am not a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal and his craft. 

He never seems authentic in his roles, especially when he's playing angry or unhinged. It's a lack of range.

The other actors are better, and perhaps will improve as the series develops. Surely Sarsgaard, Negga and Camp will rise to the occasion. Fagbenle is giving us some of that polished-sociopath stuff that certain politicians (and business leaders) do.

I'm hopelessly lost in the night-time scenes because I can't see a damn thing.