Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Glass Ceiling Feeling

• Start Topic

(edited)

GLdAhsvWYAAiINt?format=jpg&name=4096x409

(Season Finale)

Lady Parts are thwarted as the label begins to interfere with their debut album; the band reach a breaking point and boldly decide to reclaim their voice and the greater sisterhood.

Premiere Date: May 30, 2024       Peacock     

SR114197_QC.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania

Unpopular opinion: I think they should have stuck with the label and released the album.  Then when they were a bigger name, they could do whatever they wanted.

The consequence of leaking the album felt too lenient - they were just cut from the label as opposed to being sued.  It essentially returned them to the status quo.

• Like 1

Yes season 1 was better. I think part of that, though, was how specific the stories were and novel the show. But this was still great.  It's hard to make the "band struggles with maintaining artistic integrity against the music industry" compelling and not feel like an retread. 

And I agree that it was an utter fantasy that the only consequence of willfully mooting the value of the studio album was being let go from the label. I recall that Saira said it was "their mixes" meaning it was slightly different versions than the Studio album which might get them out of misuse of the masters. I'm not sure. I don't know anything about UK contract law (only know a bit about CA contract law). But I also don't think, even if that were the case, it wouldn't be a claim that they took action to undermine the newly released album and while they were under contract.

But I loved the end however much it might be a bit of a fairy tale.

• Like 5

I agree that the conflict with the label was wrapped up too tidily, but I still loved this episode: the callback to what Saira said to Amina in season 1 ("Speak, for your two lips are free"), Amina serenading Ahsan ("That's a mid-2000s classic!"), and everyone jamming out at the end.

I hope we get another season, but I'm glad this one had a happy ending that could serve as a series finale if we don't.

• Like 6

I agree with what everyone is saying--the consequences of leaking their original tracks were a little unrealistic and basically takes the band back to reset mode, but I still liked the episode a lot.

*Loved* "Glass Ceiling Feeling," especially how much of the first verse was taken directly from their argument about the album. I loved seeing Momtaz find a way to bring her vision to life, and regardless of my opinion on how things went down with the label, I was glad to see the whole gang back together. Amina's serenade was really cute! I appreciated Ayesha realizing that coming out to her parents wasn't the right choice for her right now, and I'm so happy that Dirty Mahmood was such a real one--out of all of Saira's dreams and goals, he was the only person that fully lived up to her expectations, both as a music producer and as an all-around good guy.

• Like 2

The scene with Ayesha and Dirty Mahmood made me tear up. She needed to hear that she didn't owe herself to anyone. Coming out or not is for her, on her own time frame. She was already representing. It was a great scene. I'm glad he was there for her. 

I love how Taz's story was resolved. The writers did not disappoint.

Add me to the chorus in thinking that Lady Parts wouldn't have gotten away that cleanly with a record label IRL. I'm glad it was written that way though.

Glass Ceiling Feeling is a great song!

• Like 4