Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: The Heart Of A Saturday Night

• Start Topic

Danny and Gormley race to find Gus Vanderlip (Aidan Quinn), a committed detective who is dangerously determined to uncover how a rapist he arrested is back on the streets; on the eve of their anniversary, Jamie and Eddie are sent on an undercover assignment to expose a corrupt sober living house; and Henry asks Frank for a favor regarding the NYPD's 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund, on the 14th season, part one finale of BLUE BLOODS, Friday, May 17 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

Damn, Aidan Quinn has aged.

Danny and Sid let a rogue cop go. Totally in character for both of them.

Grandpa Teeth was totally in the wrong to ask Frank to push the fraudulent claim through. And doubled down when Frank called him on it. Like he doesn't know his own son...

I have always liked Jamko, and I called that River was going to OD in her first scene.

• Like 5
(edited)

Did not recognize Aiden Quinn until near the end. Something in the eyes tipped me off. Ya he did get the Rob Lowe or Ralph Machio aging genes that's for sure.

The whole storyline with Jamko was laughable. Her hat alone screamed undercover. But I too enjoy them so it's ok. The fact that the drug place did not have any Naloxone is ridiculous but that's tv drama. I mean here kits are free to anyone who wants to carry one. Good foaming though. I wonder what they use for that. I would gag if I was the actor though no matter what it actually is. Lol

Edited by OLynn33
  • Like 2

What was that halfway place?  Don't you have to have some sort of criminal record to be there?  They made it look like you just walk in some clinic, pee in a cup and get free room and board for a while.  And why was Jamie sharing a room with a woman?

This doesn’t feel like a midseason finale. 😣

Do Sid and Danny really believe that cops should receive special treatment when they break the law? Frank doesn’t. The ending feels abrupt as we still don’t know the real reason as to why the rapist was freed. “Technicality” isn’t a good explanation and Judge Klath is shady AF. It’s also unclear whether Det. Vanderlip has escaped or Sid/Danny have decided not to collar him. A case with no-resolution is so unsatisfying. I guess we’ll be seeing Det. Vanderlip again in S14 part 2.

Henry should know better that Frank won’t simply “pick up the phone” and gives recommendation/endorsement without doing some checking. Overall, this is a decent, non-preachy storyline for them both.

This episode gives us some cute Jamko moments too! It’s been a while. One confusing bit though. Jamie is a Field Intelligence Officer reporting to Lt. Fleming. Does Captain McNichols obtain the necessary approval before putting Jamie undercover? There’s no throwaway line etc. 🤔

• Like 2
10 hours ago, OLynn33 said:

Good foaming though. I wonder what they use for that. I would gag if I was the actor though no matter what it actually is. Lol

in Eraser with James Caan and Ah-nold, there is a scene where they use antacids to have someone foam up. For me, Gaviscon certainly does it. 

2 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

The ending feels abrupt as we still don’t know the real reason as to why the rapist was freed. “Technicality” isn’t a good explanation and Judge Klath is shady AF.

I think it was that they confession was tossed because it was under duress. There was a toss-away line that "even if it was coerced doesn't mean it wasn't true". Without the confession there was no case as the line up ID failed so they had nothing to move forward with the case and he walked.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Couple of overall thoughts on the episode.

1. Baker is really being written differently than early episodes/years. She seems increasingly evasive and cagey. This episode Frank really needed to pull out the information she had but refused to reveal.

add in more than the usual smugness and the character is turning from one I liked (the dream team's moral compass) to something else.

2. When Frank approached Henry, the TV narration went something like "the lion approaching it's prey ... " which had me howling so hard I had to pause the show, rewind and pause again.

3. The closing song at Dinner - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - was featured in the movie "Benny and Joon" starring Aiden Quinn as the older brother of Joon. Great movie.

4. for the record I was completely unable to recognize Aiden Quinn even knowing that he was going to be in the episode. But if you watch the video for the song, it features scenes from Benny and Joon and Aiden Quinn looks a lot like Jamie. Check out Aiden at 2:17 in the video .... 

image.png.1847cd73eec80e8a629c08b38bfed952.png 

image.png.382224b37a5bc03c09cc485246f7b498.png

that movie was 1993, maybe we now know what Jamie will look like in 31 years.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, OLynn33 said:

Did not recognize Aiden Quinn until near the end. Something in the eyes tipped me off. Ya he did get the Rob Lowe or Ralph Machio aging genes that's for sure.

The whole storyline with Jamko was laughable. Her hat alone screamed undercover. But I too enjoy them so it's ok. The fact that the drug place did not have any Naloxone is ridiculous but that's tv drama. I mean here kits are free to anyone who wants to carry one. Good foaming though. I wonder what they use for that. I would gag if I was the actor though no matter what it actually is. Lol

I think the lack of Naloxone underlined the total mismanagement and failure of the program (talk about wasted public funds). I’ve recently seen a number of murder mysteries involving poison and my guess is a dab of toothpaste-one that contains a bit of hydrogen peroxide for whitening to achieve that frothy foam effect.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

What was that halfway place?  Don't you have to have some sort of criminal record to be there?  They made it look like you just walk in some clinic, pee in a cup and get free room and board for a while.  And why was Jamie sharing a room with a woman?

I got the impression it was not for criminals, but a bandaid to get at least some of the “actively using” unhomed off the streets (for both their and the public’s protection). Note that they all seemed able to come and go at will.

• Useful 1
On 5/18/2024 at 2:38 PM, Magnumfangirl said:

And why was Jamie sharing a room with a woman?

I didn't think Jamie was sharing a room with River. I thought she was just there to talk to him, get drugs, and sleep with him or whatever other sexual act he wanted her to do in exchange for the drugs.

On 5/18/2024 at 9:54 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Do Sid and Danny really believe that cops should receive special treatment when they break the law? Frank doesn’t.

I think this episode did a great job of demonstrating that Danny is Henry's mini-me, and other episodes have shown that Jamie is Frank's mini-me. Danny and Henry are willing to look the other way, bend the rules, and what not in order to accomplish what they want. 

Frank and Jamie would find a way to work within the rules and figure out some way to work the system so that everything is all above board to accomplish what they want. 

I loved that the women at the halfway house referred to the drinkers as "juicers." I don't think I've heard that term used that way since Platoon (made in the 1980s, set in the 1960s). It always amuses me way too much when they have younger characters (not counting the grandkids) using old outdated slang for no real reason. 

• Like 2

I did forget to add above: “Your tax dollars at work.” The sad part, as we saw is that the “program” seems to help no one and is easily manipulated by those who wish to take advantage of the public’s largesse. When will people realize that the government’s “deep pockets” are our own?

I didn't like that Danny let the detective go.  He broke into peoples homes at gunpoint, forced them into cars etc.  Does not deserve a pass, even if something happened to his sister 50 years ago.  What if next time he shoots back to protect himself?

On 7/2/2024 at 12:07 PM, Notwisconsin said:

Is this really the SERIES FINALE?

No, it was the Spring finale. BB will be back in Sept/Oct of this year, with the final eight episodes. Then it will be the SERIES FINALE.