Type keyword(s) to search

Civil War (2024)

• Start Topic

Visually compelling (and loud). I like that Garland basically framed it as a war movie...that just happened to take place in America. The correspondent characters were a bit stock: Wagner Moura as the action junkie, Kirsten Dunst as the war-weary veteran, Cailee Spaeny as the wide-eyed newbie and Stephen McKinley Henderson as the old guard in for one last big story. But no fault on the performances, they were great. (Especially a cameo by Dunst's hubby, Jesse Plemons, channeling his inner-Todd).

They gave no context for the civil war or who to root for, other than pointing out that President Nick Offerman was in his third term.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/13/2024 at 6:00 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Visually compelling (and loud). I like that Garland basically framed it as a war movie...that just happened to take place in America. The correspondent characters were a bit stock: Wagner Moura as the action junkie, Kirsten Dunst as the war-weary veteran, Cailee Spaeny as the wide-eyed newbie and Stephen McKinley Henderson as the old guard in for one last big story. But no fault on the performances, they were great. (Especially a cameo by Dunst's hubby, Jesse Plemons, channeling his inner-Todd).

They gave no context for the civil war or who to root for, other than pointing out that President Nick Offerman was in his third term.

I just saw this yesterday. 

Spoiler

The photo that was to be Jesse’s defining picture, the WF’s team proudly standing over the presidents body, is chilling  it doesn’t matter which side, that smells of the January 6th insurrection.

I will remember this movie, for sure. Everyone in the gtoup I saw it with wanted the prequel movies, but ai think it stands on its own. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 2
On 4/13/2024 at 6:00 PM, AimingforYoko said:

I basically took the whole thing as the Ukraine/Russian war transferred to the United States. (I did some research and it looks like they began principal photography as the war in Ukraine started, and I thought a lot of the visuals seemed to match a lot about what was coming on tv at the time.)

I was semi-spoiled so I knew one of the two women were going to die, but it was still a pretty shocking moment when it finally happened.

• Like 3

I was unspoiled, but I thought that was insanely obvious. As soon as Jessie and Lee had the "What do you think?" conversation, all I could think was "Well gee, I wonder how the movie will end?"

• Like 1

What do you think Kirsten Dunst was thinking when her (real-life) hubby got plowed?

It was an interesting movie, even if I thought it was going to be about the actual war, with some context given, rather than Lee’s story.

Also it’s 100% Jessie’s fault Sammy died.  Should have stayed in the truck, child!

• Like 1
On 4/20/2024 at 4:07 PM, mojoween said:

It was an interesting movie, even if I thought it was going to be about the actual war, with some context given, rather than Lee’s story.

I kind of wonder if that's the reason why there's been a pretty tepid reaction to this movie. I think a lot of people were thinking it was going to be an actual war movie, instead of what you actually get. I don't know though, I like that we get to breathe for stretches of the movie and that it's not a constant war movie like Dunkirk.

• Like 1