Type keyword(s) to search

Season Eight: Doomsday Cometh, Failsday Stayeth

• Start Topic

I stole this from @BkWurm1! Don't know if she's still around.

I HATED this season. I knew, JUST KNEW, Souders and Peterson, who were now the show runners, would fuck up the Doomsday arc. And they did.

And we get drug addict Fake!Jimmy, who turned out to be Henry.

And the beginning of Clark the ASSHOLE.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And we get drug addict Fake!Jimmy, who turned out to be Henry.

Jimmy really was screwed over by the writers, wasnt he? And yeah, dumbest plot twist ever.

I believe you forgot the other egregious issue of this season: putting the nail in the coffin of Clana in the STUPIDEST WAY POSSIBLE! Let’s not have Clark finally grow up and realize he’s loved a shadow, let’s just have Lana be embedded with kryptonite! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ 

Edited by Spartan Girl
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

I believe you forgot the other egregious issue of this season: putting the nail in the coffin of Clans in the STUPIDEST WAY POSSIBLE! Let’s not have Clark finally grow up and realize he’s loved a shadow, let’s just have Lana be embedded with kryptonite! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ 

Oh yeah. Lana returning as some super spy or whatever, just proved that Lois was sloppy seconds. The only reason he turned to Lois was because Lana was out of bounds for him as she was filled with Kryptonite.

• Angry 1
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh yeah. Lana returning as some super spy or whatever, just proved that Lois was sloppy seconds. The only reason he turned to Lois was because Lana was out of bounds for him as she was filled with Kryptonite.

I really wish we’d seen Clark move on in a way that was believable. I truly do.I have more thoughts on that subject, but that’s for another thread.

Like I said before, Not!Jimmy gif a raw deal. I don’t blame him for walking out on Chloe when she wouldn’t believe him about Davis. And she handled the whole Davis situation stupidly: she should have just let Clark and the JL kill him but nooooooooo….

(edited)

It’s been awhile since I watched but I remember really liking The Chloe/Davis relationship and what it was TRYING to say about Chloe.    Davis choosing her when Clark never did.    I get that the show did NotJimmy dirty but I think it also did both Davis and Chloe dirty as well.  It turned what could have been an intriguing idea into a mess. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

It’s been awhile since I watched but I remember really liking The Chloe/Davis relationship and what it was TRYING to say about Chloe.    Davis choosing her when Clark never did.    I get that the show did NotJimmy dirty but I think it also did both David and Chloe dirty as well.  It turned what could have been an intriguing idea into a mess. 

Exactly.

Maybe this was where the show started to go wrong…well, MORE wrong. You can only cram so many legacy characters before it goes from a prequel to a complete reboot. The show tried to have it both ways when it came to canon.

Instead of fridging Not!Jimmy and replacing him with his brother, they could’ve just kept him on and just be Real Jimmy and be in on The Secret. Would that have been so bad?

3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

they could’ve just kept him on and just be Real Jimmy and be in on The Secret. Would that have been so bad?

Yes. At least for me.

What the show did was try to throw in all of Supes' villains BEFORE he became Superman. I didn't want that, and knew this season would be a disaster. And it was.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes. At least for me.

What the show did was try to throw in all of Supes' villains BEFORE he became Superman. I didn't want that, and knew this season would be a disaster. And it was.

My point exactly. And that’s why it shouldn’t have been dragged out for ten years. Just have Clark leave Smallville after high school and give us a flash forward of him showing up at the Daily Planet in his glasses getup! Leave the rest to our imagination!

I don't think it necessarily went on for too long, it's more like the writers didn't know how to come up with original stories anymore.  Sticking Clark with Lois at the Daily Planet and bringing in the Superman villains was a clear sign of that.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

I don't think it necessarily went on for too long, it's more like the writers didn't know how to come up with original stories anymore.  Sticking Clark with Lois at the Daily Planet and bringing in the Superman villains was a clear sign of that.

Oh they were bringing in Superman villains starting all the way to season 5.

At this point, after knowing how the writers bungled it, I wish they hadn’t brought Jimmy in at all. What the point, really? Give Chloe a boyfriend and make Clark jealous (which basically led NOWHERE since we never got to see them hook up for real even once) only to fridge him for wagnst? It was just as stupid as bringing Lana back one more time. All that time-wasting fuckery when writers could’ve made the show better. It’s depressing.

• Applause 1

I disagree. They could have made up villains like they did in the first season with the freaks of the week; but these writers by this time were so creatively bankrupt and lazy.

• Applause 1

I watched in its original run and haven’t done a rewatch so my memory might be off but I do remember hearing that DC Comics (or whatever) held a pretty tight reign on the legacy characters and ended up making a lot of demands of the writers.    If that is true the writers were limited in what they could achieve so kept writing what was safe but well….boring.

I remember being very entertained by the Chloe and David pairing but then I always loved Chloe as a character and particular dark love storyline is the kind that I appreciate.    

I do not remember too much more about the season except that I groups I was a part of at the time were really pissed at the dirty done to Davis. …and not even just Doomsday.   Davis.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh they were bringing in Superman villains starting all the way to season 5.

Characters and concepts like Zod and the Phantom Zone actually originated with Superboy in the comic books, not with Superman.  Whereas Doomsday and Darkseid, plus Clark/Lois at the Daily Planet are definitively Superman-era plot points.

But aside from that, despite the comic book concepts being brought in earlier, Seasons 8-10 seemed to be much more reliant on them instead of doing original work, is my point.

10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I disagree. They could have made up villains like they did in the first season with the freaks of the week; but these writers by this time were so creatively bankrupt and lazy.

That was my point.  That it was the writers' lack of talent that caused it and not necessarily the length of the show.

10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I watched in its original run and haven’t done a rewatch so my memory might be off but I do remember hearing that DC Comics (or whatever) held a pretty tight reign on the legacy characters and ended up making a lot of demands of the writers.    If that is true the writers were limited in what they could achieve so kept writing what was safe but well….boring.

That is true about DC's tight leash, especially in the earlier seasons.  However, those early seasons were much better written than the later ones, and more creative.  The writers got lazy when they began to venture into the popular comic book mythos and characters.

• Applause 2
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It was just as stupid as bringing Lana back one more time.

Unfortunately since KK left Season 7 early, they had to save her final episodes until Season 8.  So it does feel out of place.  I agree that the story was bad.  Plus they should have allowed her shorter haircut instead of those extensions.

37 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

That was my point.  That it was the writers' lack of talent that caused it and not necessarily the length of the show.

Oh, okay. Sorry I misunderstood your comment.

• Like 2

Oh I loathe the wedding episode so much.

No excuse as there were the same writers, so when Clark gives Chloe the boutonniere he says he kept, made me roll my eyes.

First, it wasn't from homecoming, it was the Spring Formal; and two, he left her alone there while his ass raced to go and try to save Lana from the tornados.

Where's Chloe's father? We know he also survived that bomb; why couldn't he have given Chloe away?

And then there's Lana.

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Where's Chloe's father? We know he also survived that bomb; why couldn't he have given Chloe away?

It was never stated on the show, but according to the writers, Chloe's dad passed away at some point later on from unknown causes.  That's why he isn't seen or mentioned after season four.

Although I think it's more likely that they just forgot about him and were just too lazy to write anything in.

Edited by Tenshinhan
  • Like 1
(edited)

Although I think it's more likely that they just forgot about him and were just too lazy to write anything in.

DING DING DING DING, we have a winner!

@GHScorpiosRule Are you still harping on the spring formal stuff? Chloe let it go (eventually), so you do! Lol I kid I kid…

But seriously the wedding episode sucked. Why bring back Lana? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Edited by Spartan Girl
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

DING DING DING DING, we have a winner!

@GHScorpiosRule Are you still harping on the spring formal stuff? Chloe let it go (eventually), so you do! Lol I kid I kid…

But seriously the wedding episode sucked. Why bring back Lana? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Yes, yes I am! Because it could have been the way Clark said, but he lost that boutonnière in the tornado. And he was too obsessed with saving Lana to think about looking for it and saving it!

Lana RUINS EVERYTHING!

Why bring her back? To prove that Lois is sloppy seconds.

• LOL 1