Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four: The Stones of Suck

• Start Topic

Ugh. So many things to hate about this season.

The top of my list is the introduction of the obnoxious, grating Lois Lane.

The sudden transformation of Lana as some sophisticated woman, when she's barely 18. And that NONSENSE of a storyline about her lineage.

The biggest and worst thing was the sharp 180 of Jason Teague's being a  villain from the get-go when we know it wasn't true.

And of course, it goes without saying, the continuation of EVUHL AI Jor-El, because the real one is DEAD. 

Things I loved:

Chloe learns Clark's secret! And she keeps quiet about it!

Tom's portrayal of Lionel in "Transference" was nothing short of perfection. I especially loved his contempt and impatience with Lana.

I started season four last night and I know I'll just be picking and choosing the episodes I'll be watching.

One of the best season finales because of Clark throwing the stone and giving us the Fortress of Solitude. Gorgeous scenery.

• Like 1
(edited)

Don’t forget about Shelby! Best character on the show!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍

Seriously, I loved that episode. I don’t understand why the Kents didn’t get Clark a dog a long time ago. They live on a freaking farm! That’s the perfect place for a sweet, well-behaved dog!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

Don’t forget about Shelby! Best character on the show!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍

He shoulda kept the name Krypto! But nooooo! What grating Lois said and wanted, was what happened. So glad at least that Martha named him.

And so strange, that Tom, who had chemistry with everyone and everything, even a block of wood, didn't have it with Erica. Too much of a sibling vibe for me.

• Like 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And so strange, that Tom, who had chemistry with everyone and everything, even a block of wood, didn't have it with Erica. Too much of a sibling vibe for me.

Lois was another squandered opportunity for me. I could’ve forgiven everything else if they had made her a dropout that basically just fell into journalism. Canon!Lois worked damn hard to get where she was in her career!

While I won’t disagree that they lacked chemistry, I did ultimately like the relationship they eventually had by the show’s end: someone that Clark could be honest with and who wasn’t just a projection of his fantasies and misplaced guilt. I wish they did a better job getting there, but whatever.

At least we got Margot Kidder as a cameo, though her character was wasted. Don’t get me started on Jason and his mommy Jane Seymour…

Edited by Spartan Girl
18 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

At least we got Margot Kidder as a cameo

We had her for two episodes, I think. The premiere, and meeting with the person who was in prison with Lionel in "Transference" at the end. And he gave her another piece of the stone.

19 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Don’t get me started on Jason and his mommy Jane Seymour

I know you don't like Jane Seymour, but I've been a fan since her Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman Days. But I hated that whole subplot.

7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know you don't like Jane Seymour, but I've been a fan since her Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman Days. But I hated that whole subplot.

In fairness, I initially didn’t dislike her, it’s my mom that hates her guts. I had no opinion about her until she started that story that she and Christopher Reeve had an affair while making that movie together and acted like they were soulmates that missed their shot. Whether or not it was true (and I’m sure it’s not) to spread that story when both Christopher and Dana are gone and can’t refute it is just tacky.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I agree, but that isn't a bad thing on it's own. I liked the friendship between Lois and Clark. The main issue they had, is that they felt that they needed to follow the comic books. I know people would be upset but it would have been interesting if they writers of the show just did their own thing. Maybe have him end up with Chloe (which was the ship I liked).

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, blueray said:

I agree, but that isn't a bad thing on it's own. I liked the friendship between Lois and Clark. The main issue they had, is that they felt that they needed to follow the comic books. I know people would be upset but it would have been interesting if they writers of the show just did their own thing. Maybe have him end up with Chloe (which was the ship I liked).

Same here. But in the last season, they flipped the switch’s and just followed the comics- which explains the all of a sudden he can’t live without Lois and is in love with her. BAH!

1 hour ago, blueray said:

I agree, but that isn't a bad thing on its own. I liked the friendship between Lois and Clark. The main issue they had, is that they felt that they needed to follow the comic books. I know people would be upset but it would have been interesting if the writers of the show just did their own thing. Maybe have him end up with Chloe (which was the ship I liked).

32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Same here. But in the last season, they flipped the switch’s and just followed the comics- which explains the all of a sudden he can’t live without Lois and is in love with her. BAH!

Or if they insisted on following the comics, instead of making Lois a regular, she could have left in season 4 and brought her back a couple seasons later when Clark was finally done with Lana and at the Daily Planet. Then they could have get reacquainted and have a romance start then, when he’s finally ready to be Superman. That might have felt more natural.

Anything was better than having him end up with Lana. And no, I did NOT think Tom had good chemistry with Kristen…perhaps that’s only because I despised Lana and any scene with them together was so insufferable. Seriously, WHAT did Clark see in her?!

Lois should never have been on the show to begin with, in my opinion.  It wasn't necessary.  If they really wanted to, then she shouldn't have been more than a guest star.

Having said that, I like Erica Durance, and think that her character was strongest in season four.  Unfortunately, the show went into a different direction and the writers clearly were not interested in doing anything with the character.  It was only in S8 that Lois began to get real material.

• Like 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Chloe learns Clark's secret! And she keeps quiet about it

This was the moment where I finally started to like Chloe. Even if I wish it had been done much sooner, it was very well done. Finally learning the truth about Clark and having the maturity to realize why he kept it a secret triggered her long overdue jerkass realization about how she’d been exploiting meteor-affected people to make a name for herself, forgetting that they were still human beings. She realized that she hadn’t actually been that great a friend to Clark and she realized that if she expected trust, she needed to earn it. So she took down the Wall of Weird and she kept quiet about Clark because it was better to just let him tell her when and if he was ready. It was a great moment of growth.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1

Chloe showed growth around the the time Bart Allen made an appearance; shortly after "Devoted" which was hilarious. And Clark can just MISS me with his telling her he didn't have those feelings for her. Because he SO did. Jealous every time another guy shows any interest in her. Except for "Dichotomy" which was a different animal altogether. And then...wait. Jumping ahead. Finale in Season five and then he was pining for her all season six, until Lana reared her head again.

• Like 1
(edited)

I sort of wish Lois had just left the season at the end of “Devoted”. Her and Clark’s cute little “see you around, Smallville” followed by the dedication to Christopher Reeve *sniff* was just perfect. And it would have been a good note to leave the two of them until they meet again years down the road, just like Perry White’s cameo.

And come on, you have to like the part in “Crusade” when Brainwashed!Clark picked her up and moved her out of his way and she just had that “ok that was hot” smile on her face.

Whaaaaaaaat? It WAS hot!

Edited by Spartan Girl
33 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I sort of wish Lois had just left the season at the end of “Devoted”. Her and Clark’s cute little “see you around, Smallville” followed by the dedication to Christopher Reeve *sniff* was just perfect. And it would have been a good note to leave the two of them until they meet again years down the road, just like Perry White’s cameo.

And come on, you have to like the part in “Crusade” when Brainwashed!Clark picked her up and moved her out of his way and she just had that “ok that was hot” smile on her face.

Whaaaaaaaat? It WAS hot!

Yes, the tribute to Christopher Reeve made me tear up.

I could have done without Lois. Period.

And I found Kal-El, just lifting her and moving her out of his way FUNNY. Not hot. But potato potahto and all that.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2024 at 1:35 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

He shoulda kept the name Krypto!

They should’ve kept Krypto’s powers too, but I guess they were afraid that it would be jumping the shark to have Clark with a superdog…not that it didn’t keep them from jumping the shark down the road…or had it already happened? Hard to tell at this point lol.

I actually liked Lois but I agree that the character was largely unnecessary for seasons 5-7. However, I understand why it played the way it did. The only way to make sure Erica was going to be around once they were ready to propel the Lois/Clark angle was to sign her to a contract. If they had cut her loose, she might not have been available.