Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Welcome to the Dollhouse

• Start Topic

(edited)

Tonight, nostalgia reigns supreme as viewers are invited to fondly remember Season 7's superior "Hello Kitty" challenge as RuPaul invites Season 16 to participate in an intermittently engaging branding, designing, and sewing challenge -- with suspiciously sub-par fabrics!

Plane tentatively raises one eye above the the ooze of shade under which she apparently resides before wisely deciding that the time is Not Yet Ripe for a character pivot, and then quietly sinks back into the comforting waters of The Great Dismal Swamp. Wait for your cue, Plane!

In other news, Michelle wrongly praises Plasma for channeling her inner Endora, RuPaul (briefly) stops trolling Q to give her much-deserved accolades for her work, and Nymphia is snubbed for her Best Supporting Shade nomination. She was giving Banana Barbie, RuPaul!

Next week: Plasma is rushed to the ER when Julie Andrews tells her to ditch references that only dead people get and move into the 1970s! Sapphira rues her impulsiveness while Plane is given yet more reasons to be smug.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

You forgot to mention that Q finally won! I did like how all the queens in the back were cheering that, though I do wonder how much sarcasm was beneath the surface.

I didn't really get how Jane's stitching made her outfit so superior to the others. I liked Plasma's better, more interesting to look at.

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Starchild said:

I didn't really get how Jane's stitching made her outfit so superior to the others. I liked Plasma's better, more interesting to look at.

Well, it was a bedazzled bodysuit, which the judges always love to see on a contestant that they're keeping around to juice up ratings by stoking viewer outrage. Ru is obviously not going to Crown her, but it's not that Plane is terrible or unskilled: she's just operating below the top tier of contestants this season, and is not likeable on TV, which is enough for the final four, but not the win. But production nonetheless needs some high placements to troll the other contestants and the viewers and to justify her inevitable high final ranking. There's no reason why they couldn't have switched her out with Megami this week, but she's boring TV, so they don't care about her. Throw in Mhi'ya, Xunami, and Morphine (who's fading) into that mix, and you've our mid-season outs singled out.

Q's design was great, but I want her to move away from Maleficent Drag. I really loved Nymphia's creation and wouldn't have been mad if she had won.

I like that the younger queens are always pushing the boundaries of drag, but I have to say that I'm not quite there with the concept of stylized leg hair as a beauty trend: it just reminds me of all of those awful late-night commercials that I used to see for Nad's wince-inducing "sugaring" products. Geneva really seems lovely, though.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Well, it was a bedazzled bodysuit, which the judges always love to see on a contestant that they're keeping around to juice up ratings by stoking viewer outrage. Ru is obviously not going to Crown her, but it's not that Plane is terrible or unskilled: she's just operating below the top tier of contestants this season, and is not likeable on TV, which is enough for the final four, but not the win. But production nonetheless needs some high placements to troll the other contestants and the viewers and to justify her inevitable high final ranking. There's no reason why they couldn't have switched her out with Megami this week, but she's boring TV, so they don't care about her. Throw in Mhi'ya, Xunami, and Morphine (who's fading) into that mix, and you've our mid-season outs singled out.

LOL, so cynical! If I had the energy I would track those predictions more closely. :P

• LOL 1

I’m glad Q finally got the win- she’s been top 3 times and I’ve really loved her runways. Hopefully she can “Let Loose” now. 😉

I think the show needs to provide more stretch fabrics, since there seemed to be a lack of variety of them. The stretchy material is probably more forgiving for a quick sewing/design challenge.  

I wonder if Saphhira let Plane Jane undermine her confidence, leading to her using the immunity potion. I wasn’t thrilled about her look, but it wasn’t bottom 2, or even 3.

• Like 1

I was totally waiting for Ru to tell Sapphira "and now, a warning" right after Sapphira downed her potion, followed by Sapphia replying " NOW a warning??"  I SO love Death Becomes Her. 

So glad Q finally won. Farewell, Geneva. 

Danny DeVito legs. 😂

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Also thought that Nymphia was robbed of a top placement this week - but she now has 2 wins and they maybe don't want to make her ultimate season win any more obvious . Still kudos to Q with a deserved win and to Dawn who has been flying under the radar. 

• Like 3
On 2/11/2024 at 5:22 PM, joanne3482 said:

I'm over the burger finger. I don't need to hear about it. 

Yeah, I'm over it, too.  I didn't think it was that funny to begin with. 

I'm also tired of Nymphia's banana shtick.  It's time to see what else she's got. 

• Like 5

I am not sure one could take Lew Roach's opinion on ANYTHING seriously after he fawned all over M'hiya (sp?) and her cleavage. But, the thing is the "cleavage" just looked like hard plastic. Nobody who likes boobs thinks that looks okay. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 2/19/2024 at 9:20 AM, Mahfouz said:

But, the thing is the "cleavage" just looked like hard plastic.

Yeah that was very distracting to me. The skin tone was off and it looked bad. Maybe she was purposely going for a "doll" aesthetic? 🙄

On 2/11/2024 at 2:35 PM, Kaboom 2.0 said:

I was totally waiting for Ru to tell Sapphira "and now, a warning" right after Sapphira downed her potion, followed by Sapphia replying " NOW a warning??"  I SO love Death Becomes Her. 

It would've been funny but they already used the gag a couple episodes ago. But, I do think a twist or something is needed. They leaned into the Rate-A-Queen and Immunity thing and then dropped it so suddenly. It was an odd choice to me. Either have it throughout or maybe one time but not the first 2 episodes and then hard stop.