Type keyword(s) to search

Battle on the Mountain - General Discussion

• Start Topic

HGTV

Premieres January 22, 2024.

Set at 13,000 feet above sea level, "Battle on the Mountain" raises the stakes of competitive home renovation to new heights. Three skilled teams—coached by home experts Rico León of "Rico to the Rescue," Kim Myles of "Design Star: Next Gen" and Kim Wolfe of "Why the Heck Did I Buy This House?"—face off to upgrade similar mountainside homes in Breckenridge, Colorado. An all-star roster of HGTV stars judge the weekly challenges as each team works to add the most property value in hopes of clinching bragging rights and a $50,000 cash prize.

Candid Reality

• Like 1

I haven’t been paying much attention, but there’s no Ty, so maybe I should.

My sense so far is that Kim’s motley crew doesn’t listen to her much. The crew that keeps losing. And the preview has the wife walking off whining she wants out. Awesome—a series first? Or, hohum, do they finally win because Jasmine feels sorry for her? 😂

Bet I’ve persuaded you to watch, eh? 😂😂🤣🤣

I'm only watching because I like Rico...and the work he does on his own show.

As for the whining person, there's one on every show...and I don't feel sorry for her either. If your designer suggests you put the couch "here", you don't go against her and put the couch "there". But, of course, producers like drama, so maybe someone put a bug in her ear.

I'm sorry, but the perpetually losing team's husband is so unfortunate looking. He's the walking embodiment of Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel.

spacer.png

Also, that team's time management sucks.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I'm rooting for Rico and the guys all the way.  I liked Kim years ago when she was on Design Star but she seems very different now.  I have no idea who the third mentor is or what her credentials are but I find her self-important and annoying.  

Adjusting to high altitude is no joke.  I was appaled by all the running around and physical labor the teams were expected to do right away.  Maybe they'd already been there awhile and had a chance to get acclimated but it didn't seem like it.

• Like 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm rooting for Rico and the guys all the way.  I liked Kim years ago when she was on Design Star but she seems very different now.  I have no idea who the third mentor is or what her credentials are but I find her self-important and annoying.  

I think Design Star Kim is a bit cocky these days and maybe a bit conceited. 

As for Kim Wolfe, I agree she is annoying and believes her shit don't stink. She won Survivor (forget which season), and had the same attitude. So basically nothing's changed. I don't like her, but IIRC she has her own show on HGTV called Why the heck did I buy this house? 

Edited by Soapy Goddess
  • Like 3

Kim’s team won. Shocker. Wasn’t the wife walking off the set before I started to FF?

Anyway, Kim and her husband are on WTHDIBTH. More dysfunctional layouts that they fix. Always looks better, but was a mess to start. She often sez what an honor it was to work on the week’s project. You won’t believe her either.

14 hours ago, buttersister said:

Kim’s team won. Shocker.

I was expecting them to pull out a win (not shocked :)  )  but I have to admit that they had the best room.  I wanted Team Rico to get another win but their bedroom was underwhelming.  

I'd like to know how the husband on Team Kim came up with those pictures so fast.  At the one hour to go point, one of them said "Art!" and he somehow thought of and created three nature-based pictures, frames and all.  In an hour. And, meanwhile, everything else got done too.  Call me cynical but I don't believe it.

• Like 2

Kim W;s group had to win.  These battle shows are entertaining, but, contrived a lot.   Kim W is not a very good leader, they got the best view, but the smallest cabin it looks like.  I hope the guys win, they have done a pretty good job, except that last 48 hour bedroom.  The huge photograph, really darkened the room.  JMHO of course.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Pine said:

Kim W is not a very good leader

Not a very good narrator on her Why the Heck Did I Buy This House, either.

I’m sensing a pattern — not every home remodeler should have a show, HGTV.

• Like 3

I was very happy with the outcome also as I'd been rooting for the guys and Rico all along.  I liked Tony and his wife but not the mentor whose name I've already forgotten.  I didn't care for anyone on Team Kim.  

Based upon what we saw, I thought the percentages quoted for increased value seemed much inflated - for all of them.  I'm not a realtor though so.................

• Like 1
(edited)

The measurement for winning made no sense. The real estate agents aren't appraisers, so how do they decide what value to assign the "improvements"?

Now that this is over, I won't miss the hillbillies getting mad and throwing something at least once an episode.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, mlp said:

I liked Tony and his wife but not the mentor whose name I've already forgotten. 

That was Kim Wolfe from Survivor, which is the only reason why I remember. I didn't like her on Survivor, and I doubly dislike her on HGTV. I don't know why she thinks she's a designer, because IMO she's not. Also don't know why HGTV chose her to be a mentor when they have so many established designers/builders to choose from.

• Like 1

While real estate agents aren't appraisers, I remember from my training to take my state's real estate exam to get a license, we learned that real estate agents should be able to offer an estimate on fair market value, important in determining list price.

But I side-eye any values assigned on HGTV. They can make them anything they want.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

While real estate agents aren't appraisers, I remember from my training to take my state's real estate exam to get a license, we learned that real estate agents should be able to offer an estimate on fair market value, important in determining list price.

But I side-eye any values assigned on HGTV. They can make them anything they want.

And down to the hundredth of a percent? Shenanigans.

• Like 2