Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Maya

Bort
  • Start Topic

As Gavin and Sam search for a secret military base, they’re surprised by an old colleague of Gavin’s who just may hold the clues to finding Eve. When Ty and Sam try to figure out how to bring their friends home, Ty becomes sidetracked as he confronts his demons from his past.

Airdate: January 23, 2024

Is anyone following this? Here's what I've got: Gavin worked with Maya at some military base where the government was experimenting with time travel, which somehow involved pilots, hence Gavin's involvement. But with Maya's help they erased a year of his memory. 

Is this entirely new information? Or did we already know Gavin was missing a year from his memory? 

Maya was going to expose this operation so they sent her and her daughter to 10,000 B.C. Where - apparently - there is a military base in the exact same location as the one in present day. So . . . did they move the entire military base from present day to 10,000 B.C.? Or did they just send people and equipment and helicopters to 10,000 B.C. and set up another base in the exact same location? And . . . why? 

Can we assume this military base existed before the sinkhole opened and a whole bunch of other people fell into it? If the military base people know there are other people from present day within walking distance why are they hiding from them? Or capturing them if they come too close? 

Is this military base somehow connected to Gavin's father James? Wasn't he the one who started the whole time travel thing that caused all the sinkholes? Or is it just a coincidence that was going on at the same time this military base was experimenting with time travel? Did the military base people know about the giant tower, and vice versa?

Good grief, this is such a colossal mess. 

And on top of all that, we're wasting time on brand new side stories, like Ty's wife - did we even know he was married? And Izzy's new romance with Leyla - do we care? We never even met Leyla until two episodes ago. How did she get all that tar off of her? Where did Izzy get baby powder from? And Veronica and Lucas vying for a spot on "the council." Who gives a damn? 

• Like 7
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Is anyone following this? Here's what I've got: Gavin worked with Maya at some military base where the government was experimenting with time travel, which somehow involved pilots, hence Gavin's involvement. But with Maya's help they erased a year of his memory. 

Is this entirely new information? Or did we already know Gavin was missing a year from his memory? 

It is new information. At the beginning of the show, they mentioned Gavin had been having memory problems for awhile, ever since he was in some plane crash. That was also when he started drinking, and they attributed the memory issues to his drinking. But they played it like he was forgetting to show up to pick up the kids or something. Not remembering a whole year of his life is a whole lot different than being a drunk with a bad memory. 

I don't think we knew about Ty's ex-wife either. Maybe he once mentioned being divorced, but not any of the back story. I don't know why we are introducing so much new stuff instead of answering the still open questions. Like where the hell is Ty's current wife?

10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And Izzy's new romance with Leyla - do we care? We never even met Leyla until two episodes ago. How did she get all that tar off of her? Where did Izzy get baby powder from? And Veronica and Lucas vying for a spot on "the council." Who gives a damn? 

I guess when Izzy jumped into the hole to 10,000 BC with no food, supplies, or even a bottle of water, she did manage to put a big bottle of baby powder in her pocket? Maybe she was just carrying it around, cause all teenagers carry baby powder around, right? I feel like she must have had a lot to be enough to get all that tar off Leyla's entire body. But I googled it and did not find anything about baby powder removing tar. Baby oil, yes. 

This show was so promising and it has just gotten ridiculous.

I did laugh when Gavin and Sam asked Maya about the top secret project, and she was like, "uh, time travel, obviously." And then when she explains the goal, Gavin is all "that's impossible!" Um, Gavin you are standing in 10,000 BC, clearly time travel is possible.

• Like 4

It would have been cool if Gavin had retorted something about a "flashy thingy" when he was told about his memory loss.  Oh, and a PSA:  Kids, even if you can't remember that chemistry stuff for your midterms, it's not okay to dose yourself with psychedelic mushrooms in order to get your memories back!

What a great idea!  Start a fire next to the pool of flammable liquid!

I realize that TV can expropriate names and locales for dramatic purposes, but "Madera AFB" made me laugh.  I live a ways south of the actual Madera, CA, and it's a small town mostly dedicated to the surrounding agricultural businesses.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

At the beginning of the show, they mentioned Gavin had been having memory problems for awhile, ever since he was in some plane crash. That was also when he started drinking, and they attributed the memory issues to his drinking.

But that was eventually attributed to the "visions" he was having which nobody believed in. We eventually learned they were actually memories from being in 10,000 B.C. as a child. But then . . . once time caught up with itself, he was still having visions, so . . .

It seems like the writers are trying to give all the main characters that are left something to do. But there are only three more episodes. This should have been streamlined down to one or two stories. Ty, in the future, trying to prevent this whole thing from happening; Gavin and Sam, in the past, trying to find this military base to do the same. They could have taken Izzy, Lucas and Veronica with them. No need for all this crap about the village of vaguely prehistoric warriors from unspecific origins. It never made any sense to begin with and apparently the actress who played Paara left this dumpster fire of a show before it could end. No fool she.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

What was once a promising show has suddenly gone south.  There are so many new storylines.  New unnecessary romances.  New "no nothing" type stories.  What were the writers thinking.  Why make a storyline so confusing.  No wonder some actors didn't return.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But that was eventually attributed to the "visions" he was having which nobody believed in. We eventually learned they were actually memories from being in 10,000 B.C. as a child. But then . . . once time caught up with itself, he was still having visions, so . . .

That's right, they did attribute all that to his visions. But now they need there to have been a time travel project and the secret to wrapping up the show be deep in someone's brain. So now Gavin has a year of his life missing.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2024 at 8:58 AM, Dowel Jones said:

I realize that TV can expropriate names and locales for dramatic purposes, but "Madera AFB" made me laugh.  I live a ways south of the actual Madera, CA, and it's a small town mostly dedicated to the surrounding agricultural businesses.

When I first heard the fictitious AFB name I, too, thought they said Madera, but the closed captions say “Ladera AFB” (every time it is mentioned).  Ironically, had it been/or is Madera AFB, the now closed Castle AFB at Merced, CA is  just down the road from Madera, CA.  But then, maybe the closed captions are wrong and it is Madera, Dowel Jones. 

8 hours ago, alvajon said:

But then, maybe the closed captions are wrong and it is Madera, Dowel Jones. 

It can't be the actual Madera since it's within walking distance of La Brea. I hear it as Ladera, so, definitely ficitious. 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1