Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

240111-Grierson-Monsieur-Spade-embed-01_

Spade (Clive Owen) arrives in Bozouls. A brief trip becomes a new chapter as he falls for a local vineyard owner. Years later, Spade remains, a widower and retiree quietly living out his golden years in peace. But the return of his adversary changes everything.

Premiere Date: January 14, 2024      Acorn TV/AMC+/AMC at 9pm 

MSpade_101_Photogramme_195205-RT.jpg?h=6

(edited)
18 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

quite a good start, helps that Clive Owen's ability to be effortlessly cool is still there.

Very intriguing. Good mystery, and not so sure the kid isn’t in the frame (that would be what today’s writers would consider an unusual twist, but they have no imagination and there are no new ideas). Clive seems to be channeling Bogie very, very well. It’s not overdone, but the tone, timbre, and attitude are spot on. It would have been too comical to try to imitate the accent, patter, and jargon of Hammet/Bogard. Seems just right.
Love the setting (in daylight), and there are enough questionable characters with, as yet, unknown motives to keep us guessing. 
Best line-“If there’s any trouble, read the book” (tome on wine, but you knew from the size what was hidden in it).

Edited by Daff

The show makes an effort to tell us the backstory of Brigid O’Shaughnessy, especially for those who haven’t watched the 1941’s The Maltese Falcon. So, thank you.

This show also takes nearly 1 hour to get to the disturbing discovery at the convent - a tableau of art of murdered nuns. TBH, am not really interested in knowing more about why the children being locked away and why Teresa has the key.

Will Philippe Saint Andre be more than a one-note villain? Jean-Pierre Devereaux already is. Boring. 😵

This show needs better editing. The sequence from Sam first meeting Gabrielle to the time jump (they got married, then she died) is rather clunky. Same goes to the scenes involving Sam holding/not holding his ciggy.

The writers have decided to give Sam Spade emphysema. Is this a subtle way to not glamorize smoking??! 🤨

Is the murder mystery interesting enough for me to keep watching? 50-50.

• Like 1

I liked it, but relating the child to Brigid O'Shaunessy took a bit of a leap for me. I found it hard to imagine her character having a child, let alone taking care of one. I ended up trying to ignore that part of the back story in order to concentrate on the more "current" plot. 

I also found it a little challenging to view Clive Owen in Humphrey Bogart's part, but he seems to be using just enough of Bogart's mannerisms to make it easier to accept. I liked that Sam settled in and has relationships with the people in the town after that rocky start. 

• Like 1

Thought it slow.  Wasn't sure I was even going to finish the episode.  The time jump was somewhat ackward and at first didn't know who he had married - in the first scene with her she didn't say her name. 

Took me 3 times to get to the end - which was rather stunnng and eerie.  Hate the poor lighting throughout but especially in these scenes at the abby- made it hard at first to see what had happened.

• Like 1