Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion Thread

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

Episode 4x01 "Crete"

Bash and Mags team up to save a John and Jane Doe found in the woods; a fully qualified surgeon now, June sees her old mentor in a new light; suspended from the hospital, Theo longs for the action while treating patients virtually.

October 6, 2023

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the season 4 premiere, but I totally agree with you hula-la, it felt somewhat bittersweet watching it knowing this was the last season premiere we'll be getting.  

I think it would have been very interesting to see the day from Dr. Singh's perspective too.  Hope he will be ok.

They've got a lot of territory to cover and loose ends to tie up in the next nine episodes.  I hope that's enough time for the series to end on a high note.  Fingers crossed!

I wonder if the purpose of showing Bash helping that older woman in the flashback was to reinforce his utter selflessness in rescuing others.  (I was very surprised he'd leave Amira alone on the other side of the fence.)  Perhaps he'll work with Doctors Without Borders and leave the ER position at York Memorial for Mags (although, would she even be considered for the position with her being on the transplant list?)

Also, just had another thought after typing that last sentence.  The series started with Bash being the "transplanted" person in Canada.  Will it end with a more typical interpretation of "transplant" in Mags getting a new heart?  I'm looking forward to finding out. 

• Like 3

An interesting episode,.seeing it from different points of view, like Mags getting angry at June for brushing her off, and then seeing it fmrom June's POV that she did it because she was worried about Singh, and at the end June taking a defibrillator home in case Mags needs it.

I'm glad that Mags did not remind Bash to apply for the fellowship -- she does too much caretaking of people and sheneeds to be able to distance herself from him.

Nice twist of the threesome that first they thought the man was her father, then that he was her abuser and in the  end they were siblings doing it for the eldest.

I also liked Theo coming to the realization that he was remembering it wrong because he wanted to save the abused woman. Better than being over the head with psychological concepts in The Irrational.

When Bash was wondering what he would do if he didn't get the fellowship, I was saying "Be a family doctor. Theo just told you that there aren't enough and you can just open up your office." Or find a family practice that you can join and learn.

23 hours ago, YorkshireLass said:

I wonder if the purpose of showing Bash helping that older woman in the flashback was to reinforce his utter selflessness in rescuing others. 

It also enabled him to met the doctor from Toronto who I'm guessing is going to help Bash get to Canada.

I can understand Bash telling Amira to stay on the safe side of the wire. Parents desperate to get their child to safety are sending children younger than Amira alone to cross the border into the US.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:45 PM, YorkshireLass said:

The series started with Bash being the "transplanted" person in Canada.  Will it end with a more typical interpretation of "transplant" in Mags getting a new heart?

That's a brilliant idea.

I hope that it doesn't end with Bash getting the fellowship because Mags is getting a new heart. This show isn't usually so obvious.

• Like 1

Episode 4x3: "Home"

Bash reconnects with the man who got him to Canada.

Robert Munch's "Love You Forever" always breaks my heart. Curse you, show.

The backstory with Bash and Elliott is interesting, and true to this show's standards, realistic. I can understand why Elliott is angry at Bash after all that ash has done for him, and I understand why Bash feels the need to.

Theo's apology tour .. lol.

I don't like conflict so I don't enjoy Bash and Mags competing for the single fellowship position. I understand why they both want it, Bash for the stability and Mags because this is something that she's worked for all her life and refuses to give in because of her health problems.

• Like 2

Episode 4x4 "Decisions"

Decisions are made about the future of the emergency epartment.

Devi selects who gets the fellowship and it's a credit to how much the show has pulled me in that I was upset about it through the rest of the episode.

Mark Novak loses it on an incompetent and entitled first year resident and i wanted to cheer.

A newcomer patient has no one to look after his preschool son while he gets treatment so Bash takes the boy home. Good intentions but could be so much trouble.

• Like 2

Show is a little predictable: I knew Mags would get a new heart as soon as as she boiled her phone.

I can see why Devi choose Mags over Bash, Bash's savour complex was once again on full display.

I am interested to see what happens with intern Ryan. There must be a way to be tough while not being a complete asshat. June is trying to find that balance, Novak not so much.

I’m kind of surprised with Mags’ arrhythmia that we didn’t get a full trauma scene with her as the patient. Medical dramas usually do that kind of “doctor as the patient” trope well and include a big scene with everyone working on their colleague. I felt like it was lacking when she passed out and then the next scene with her was Bash going into her room while she was sleeping. And it felt rushed to tack it on to the end of the episode too. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

And it felt rushed to tack it on to the end of the episode too.

Especially since the preview showed Mags having a heart problem, so it may have distracted some viewers from the rest of the episode.

On 11/3/2023 at 5:01 PM, Ohmo said:

Doing this "start at the bottom" thing again after three years is getting old.  He's been doing that for the length of the show.  Let him advance professionally.

You need to speak to the Canadian Medical Association about that. This is possibly the most realistic scripted medical show on TV and in this they are sticking to the facts.

Episode 4x5 "Heart":

June's boyfriend from season 1 is back, just in time for her fertility treatments. I missed him, he's a good stabilizing influence on June.

Owen, the boy with Sensory Processing Disorder is back too and now he has a diagnosis of mass cell activation syndrome. I'm glad that they are drawing attention to it. It's one of those diseases where even a few years ago patients would have been told that it's all in their heads and they're being a hypochondriac.

My station ran an ad for Kids Help Phone right after the scene where Theo gives Owen the number for their line. Nice placement.

Theo has learned from his mistakes and carefully informs the patient before he does anything to him.

Bash's fugue moments are back. It's hard on him but I'm glad to know that it isn't being swept under the carpet.

I'm not surprised that Mags is a super overachiever between her medical problems and her controlling mother.

On 10/29/2023 at 6:49 AM, marinw said:

I am interested to see what happens with intern Ryan. There must be a way to be tough while not being a complete asshat. June is trying to find that balance, Novak not so much.

Novak shouldn't have said what he did but from what the older doctors tell me, that's the way that attendings have been treating juniors. What Ryan did could have got the patient killed so his insistence that he be treated with kid gloves seems very arrogant to me.

• Like 2

Fever Dream: Well that got tied up neatly. Felt like a series finale. The six month flash forward with a seemingly healthy Mags and Bash seemingly still working at the same hospital.

I did like that the show showed restraint in detailing Mag’s ordeal. Not so much just post-surgery but how spacey and discombobulated she was afterwards with all the drugs and the hovering.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

I think it's still the 3rd season, right

It's NBC so yes, I think so. CTV is on season 4.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:47 AM, marinw said:

Fever Dream: Well that got tied up neatly. Felt like a series finale. The six month flash forward with a seemingly healthy Mags and Bash seemingly still working at the same hospital.

It did feel like a series finale but I hope not. Previous seasons have had 13 episodes and with the Canadian TV awards it's garnered, I don't know why they would cut it short.

I suspect that  many of us have a Mark in our lives, someone who is his own worst enemy but you just can't hate him because sometimes he does a lot of good.

I thought that the opening with Mags being wheeled into surgery was very well directed. I remembered that feeling, the fear and the wish to just go under and get it over with.

The coyote attack struck home with me. There are around  where I live and it's frightening for those of us who have small pets.

Every time Mags' family appears, I resolve to brush up on my French. And I never do.

ETA: a mini Forever Knight reunion with Catherine Disher (Dr. Natalie Lambert) playing the outspoken lady with the congestive heart failure and Torri Higginson (Claire) who played a suicidal vampire in one episode.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 2

Episode 4x7 "Torn"

Bash passes on an opportunity, and works cases where things are not as they appear; Mags returns to York Memorial; June navigates loss professionally and personally; Theo goes out on a limb again for a patient; Claire is confronted by Devi.

Episode 4x8 "All I Have is How I Feel"

Bash and Mags support each other through new challenges while treating an older couple who show up at the hospital glued together; Theo is called out by Liz Bergeron about his repeated inability to follow hospital rules.

Guest starring Eric Peterson, Sheila McCarthy

Kudos to the show for coming up with a completely new medical idea (glued together couple with one needing defibrillation)

Truth about not enough family doctors in Toronto. There are hubs for refugees though.

• Like 2

SPOILERS for US viewers currently watching Season 3 (Not sure if we need this or not - can someone please clarify???)

Wow, was not expecting that at all 😭, but I wondered if things were being foreshadowed when Mags got her coffee and walked down the street with that blissful expression on her face.  Both Hamza Haq & Laurence Lebouef hit their scenes out of the park last night and both should get CSA's for that.

There are so many options for Bash going forward.  I wonder what route he'll take.   

Theo leads with his heart.  Not sure what's got his ladyfriend's knickers in such a knot all of a sudden.  She was acting like his behaviour was something new.  It's not - it's been there for a long time.  Wouldn't it be ironic if he takes over the older doctor's practice?

I wonder if June talked to Lou before making the decision to take the job in Cleveland.  I totally understand Mags being pissed-off at her.  I wonder how that is going to affect June going forward.

I'm with hula-la - very sad there are only two more episodes left.  I will really miss the show.  (And, I'm still hoping Dr. Bishop will make an appearance!)

• Sad 1

@YorkshireLass the convention for shows with a single thread but multiple seasons is to indicate which episode you're posting about and be considerate of those who haven't had the episode aired in their area yet.

Two episodes left and it really feels like things are wrapping up.

Are they trying to set up some sort of romance between June and Mark Novak? I hope not because while Theo makes mistakes being impulsive, Novak is the guy your real friends keep you from dating.

10 hours ago, YorkshireLass said:

Theo leads with his heart.  Not sure what's got his ladyfriend's knickers in such a knot all of a sudden.  She was acting like his behaviour was something new.  It's not - it's been there for a long time.

It's complicated by the fact that she's his boss right now, and that he keeps promising that he will follow hospital rules and then goes rogue again. This time he left his patients in the care of a doctor who doesn't have hospital privileges so that if anything went wrong, he couldn't treat them. And he just got reinstated for going against a patient's wishes and then yelling at a nurse. He keeps messing up, and then he promises that he won't do it again, and then he does it. As the old doc said, the hospital really isn't the place for him.

The day before this episode aired, CTV posted a video of the cast talking about the Bash/Mags relationship.

Spoiler

What the hell was that? I didn't stick with this show for 4 seasons for that to happen. I already lived through it with Saving Hope and didn't appreciate then either.

I was confused about Mags saying she was in Stage 1 rejection during most of the episode. Shouldn't her doctors have been more worried? How many stages are there?

• Useful 1

Thank you so much DanaK.

Mags knew she was going to die.  I think Bash knew it too, but wouldn't admit it to himself or Mags.  Laurence Lebouef & Hamza Haq knocked it out of the park.  I'm curious as to Bash's questioning of Mag's cardiologist & surgeon after she died.  The questions he asked seemed like questions someone who had no knowledge of heart transplants or heart physiology would ask.  Wonder if it was a way to show that when our loved one is a patient we all have the same reactions.    

I have no idea how the show is going to tie up all the loose ends in the two remaining episodes. 

Bash & Theo are pretty similar to one another.  Both follow their hearts.  I think Bash is a little more rule-centric, but I think he still feels that his life in Canada could be taken away in a flash and that worries him.  Wouldn't a clinic headed by Bash, Theo & Elliot be a wonderful place for Torontonians to get medical care?    

June's decision to relocate seemed very rushed.  Not sure how much of it is her not being happy with where she's at personally and running away from that or not liking being involved in the politics of being in charge and just wanting to be a surgeon.  I feel the same as statsgirl where it seems like the show is foreshadowing a romantic relationsip between June & Novak.  I sure hope it doesn't happen.  He's a dick and is toxic.  He would destroy anyone he was involved with.

I think I understand what the show is trying to convey with how the hospital is handling Claire's use of painkillers, but is it a realistic portrayal?  Trusting Claire to police herself could come back and bite the hospital.  I wonder if we will get an end-story to this arc?

I will so miss this show :(.

Episode 4x9 "Who is Mags?"

Bashir treats a man injured in a car accident who was saved by the woman who hit him; Devi decides to fight to hold on to the department; in a moment where it is needed, a former member of the York Memorial team returns.

I was very much hoping that Mags' death was a fake-out or a nightmare, or anything but that she really died.

On 1/11/2024 at 2:02 PM, cathmed said:

Where can I join the discussion for S3 since I'm in the US (don't' believe S4 is available to us yet).

The show was originally only one thread. With the changes to the board the last week, we can have multiple threads now.

I've created a season 3 thread and I'll migrate the season 3 comments to it as I have time.

!!!!!!!!DR. BISHOP!!!!! (I'm so happy I hadn't read anything about this episode so I was totally shocked when I saw his face - have to say happy tears ensued.  It was wonderful to see John Hannah again - he went right back to being Dr. Bishop at his best.)

13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Episode 4x9 "Who is Mags?"

I was very much hoping that Mags' death was a fake-out or a nightmare, or anything but that she really died.

Unfortunately, nope, not a fakeout or nightmare unless the last episode is going to say episodes 8&9 were a dream (a la the "dream year" of Dallas).  This episode was just sublime.....the show is ending on a real high.

There is still so much to tie-up.  Will Bash take over Mags' position at York Memorial?  Will Dr. Bishop come back to the hospital in some capacity?  I can't imagine there won't be some fall-out from Mark being reappointed to be the head of Trauma OR by the CMO - is that Dr. Olsen???  Will Dr. Devi resign because of this?  (And, unbelievably, this episode made me feel a glimmer of hope that Mark may actually be a decent human being under all that bravado.  Had to laugh at the expression on his face when June & Dr. Singh looked at him as if he had two heads when he said he reads studies.)  Will June go to Cleveland?  What the hell is Theo going to do with his life?  (And, is what's-her-name out of it? - I've never cared for her.)  Seeing the whole team together in Bash's flashback where he was handcuffed to the gurney Amira was on really touched the heartstrings.

The acting by the whole ensemble was phenomenal.  It was palpable how they all were struggling with Mags' death.  

Above all - I'm hoping Bash can finally be at peace with himself and his life, whatever route he chooses to go, and to be able to remember those he has lost with happiness and gratitude. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, YorkshireLass said:

This episode was just sublime.....the show is ending on a real high.

The show remains great quality. But everyone is so sad!

My heart broke for Bash multiple times in the episode but especially when Mags' mother deflected her grief on to him in anger and when Bishop tried logic him into forgiving himself. I feel awful for Theo too, unable to comfort Bash and so broken that he cried in his father's arms.

I'm worried about June; is she going to start cutting again? She's losing all her support systems just when she needs them most.

And the flashbacks to season 1 killed me. I tried to go back and watch the first episode of the show again but alas, it's no longer available On Demand.

The show has a lot of work to do to leave everyone in a good place at the end of the next episode.

Hey Joseph Kay -- Sullivan's Travels is a good lesson to learn.

• Like 1
(edited)

Hazma has been great this season. I think it was assumed that Bash would take Mag’s job, but Bash didn’t dear ask about it. As sad as this episode was, I did enjoy the visit to beautiful Old Montreal.

Edited by marinw

I hope that Bash doesn't take the job at the hospital. It seems like there has been so much pain there, I'd like to see him have a fresh start, maybe opening up a practice with Theo.

19 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I hope that Bash doesn't take the job at the hospital. It seems like there has been so much pain there, I'd like to see him have a fresh start, maybe opening up a practice with Theo.

I'm not sure how I feel about Bash's future options.  In one way, if he takes the job at the hospital, it would almost feel like he was a "sloppy second" choice to me.  Would he feel that way?  I don't know. 

As far as opening a practice with Theo, I'm not sure if his heart would be totally in it.  I feel like Bash comes alive when he's presented with traumas that require immediate, non-traditional methods.  Trauma OR would probably be a great place for him, but that would mean more residency as a surgeon.  Would he go that route????  Don't know, but I guess we're going to find out next Friday (unless they leave us hanging - they better not!). 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, marinw said:

I can see Bash serving with Doctors without Boarders.

When Amira is in college, absolutely. He is so protective of her,father and mother both, I don't see him leaving her at this point.

• Like 1

Episode 4x10 "Never Too Late To Start Again"

June and Novak have it out; Theo risks his life for a patient and makes a big decision; Bash rises to the occasion during an emergency and sees how far he's come.

Series finale.

• Sad 2

I always appreciate shows that that can be sad without being maudlin. Transplant has walked that line so well this season.

June is all over the place. She did light up when she looked after the abandoned baby girl. If this was a more cliched show, June would have adopted the first baby who came her way. (I'm looking at you, the Good Doctor) Sensitive question: White people adopting black (or other POC) babies is a fraught topic. What about the reverse?

(edited)

Well.....for me, not as strong an episode as the last two and the Mags' video was a bit too tropey. (It didn't really bring on the "feels"). 

I didn't get any sense at all that Theo was sure in his decision to take over the older doctor's practice.  Did the show mean to leave it that way?  Not sure.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised about June's decision to stay at York Memorial.  I still think Mark is toxic, but they seem to be working out how to work together.  I thought June's hug with Dr. Singh was very touching.  He'll be very happy that she's not leaving.

As far as Bash goes - he seemed at peace with his decision and I have no doubt he would be a wonderful clinic/family doctor to have, but when you saw how quickly he reacted to the gas leak and basically directed what needed to be done, he would shine in a position where he could direct urgent care.  People have mentioned Doctors Without Borders a few times.  May he'll volunteer for them every so often. 

I'm very sad that this show has come to an end.  I've looked forward to watching it for the past four years.  Hopefully, CTV will come up with something equally as good to take its place.

Edited by YorkshireLass
  • Like 4

I will miss this show. 

June said that she signed a contract with the Cleveland hospital. What are the consequences if she doesn’t take the job.

We have all admired how Bash keeps it together under stressful situations. We can see him in places like the Ukraine or Gaza. But maybe he is ready to try something new. I can see him happy with his clinic and going off sometimes to serve with some aid organization. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Glad that Mag’s mom came around and is talking to Bash. 

10 hours ago, YorkshireLass said:

Hopefully, CTV will come up with something equally as good to take its place.

Canadian TV is putting out some good things, like Transplant and Sort Of.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, marinw said:

June said that she signed a contract with the Cleveland hospital. What are the consequences if she doesn’t take the job.

They said that there would be a financial penalty. Novak got the hospital lawyers to get her out of the contract in exchange for stepping back from being the co-head of the emergency department.

• Like 2
On 1/18/2024 at 3:22 PM, marinw said:

June is all over the place. She did light up when she looked after the abandoned baby girl. If this was a more cliched show, June would have adopted the first baby who came her way. (I'm looking at you, the Good Doctor) Sensitive question: White people adopting black (or other POC) babies is a fraught topic. What about the reverse?

It’s extremely rare, but it does happen. 

as so many posters have said, this show was been a highlight for me the entire series. I’m content with how things ended and look forward to seeing these actors in different projects.

• Like 2
(edited)

Question: both Bash and Leo decide to  become General Practitioners. Can a doc just change from emergency medicine to a family practice? Canadian medical bureaucracy is never that simple, it’s one of the reasons why Canada has such a serious shortage of family doctors.

Edited by marinw