Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion Thread

• Start Topic

Season 3, Episode 1 Synopsis:

Still dealing with the aftermath of her own divorce, Abby (Jewel Staite, "Firefly," "The L.A. Complex") represents Hannah whose ex-husband left her for a man and now wants to use their last remaining embryo - created when they were married - to start a new family together.

Abby is not coping well - with anything, frankly. (Pun moderately intended.) I'm glad Jerry talked to her, and I would 100% use Jerry's services if she was a therapist. She's been there, seen it, walked it, and come through. (I did enjoy Abby's passive agressive retaliation at Frank's "rules" though.)

So far I'm liking Lucy's new friend, who I assume will be a new love interest? Also, howled at her outburst at the client. "IT'S A CAT." 

Speaking of animals, Craig continues to be the best part of Daniel.

• Like 2
(edited)

Daniel was nearly sweet most of the episode! He was sympathetic to Abby when he found out Harry is hooking up with her mom again. He was also a lot of fun dancing on the beach with his girlfriend, though creepy in his denial about the infidelity.

I can't blame Abby for being pissed off about her ex's rules, and his inconsiderate way of just scheduling the plumber without talking to her about it. What if she had to  be in court? He's not even trying to be reasonable there, so go ahead and be angry about it. I didn't think that she was wrong about that.

But how she handled her feelings in general was terrible. I'm glad she has Geri (Jerry? Geri? I don't know which it is) telling her what's what.

I didn't even find it credible when he apologized for having removed all her stuff and put it in the garage. I mean... what? She had left her shoes behind when she moved out many months ago? Didn't make sense and wasn't in character.

Do we think Harry bought mom's house, to get her to move in with him? I don't trust him. He has not shown any evidence of being trustworthy, in my opinion.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1

S03.E02: A River in Egypt

dc01d7ed6cbbe1223309d5fca44c3234.jpg

When a biased judge rules against Daniel (Zach Smadu) petition to have a scam marriage annulled, Abby (Jewel Staite) uses Cecil (guest star Brett Kelly) works as bait to trap the romance fraudster. 

Premiere Date: January 24, 2024     CW    9pm         

While I know Abby, due to abandonment issues, likes attention, but she would have called the criminal lawyer right out for his smarmyness. Like, dial it back from 11 dude. Also, the "Aiden isn't good enough for Abby" sub-plot seemed to come out of nowhere? A firefighter is a very good, honourable job.

I'm not a fan of Nina or Cecil, so this episode dragged a bit for me. I could see the scam plot coming from a mile away.

• Like 1

Yes, the "Aiden isn't good enough for Abbey," he's "too young" and for goodness sakes, he's not a lawyer seems like a nice set up not only to tick off the new judge because Abby has no impulse control in her response, but now to set up Abby with the lawyer she got to take on the fraud case.

Abby is the least likeable character on this show and that isn't easy for me to say, with her father and her brother and her ex-husband all close seconds.

• Like 1

S03.E03: It's the End of the World as We Know It

eccea534da626c95779dff4afbef0e9c.jpg

Abby (Jewel Staite) represents an environmental activist whose devotion to the cause might cost him custody of his children. Meanwhile, an ill-advised meeting with old flame Crystal Steele (guest star Lynda Boyd) lands Harry (Victor Garber) in trouble with the Law Society. 

Premiere Date: January 31, 2024     CW    9pm         

50 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

S03.E03: It's the End of the World as We Know It

eccea534da626c95779dff4afbef0e9c.jpg

Abby (Jewel Staite) represents an environmental activist whose devotion to the cause might cost him custody of his children. Meanwhile, an ill-advised meeting with old flame Crystal Steele (guest star Lynda Boyd) lands Harry (Victor Garber) in trouble with the Law Society. 

Premiere Date: January 31, 2024     CW    9pm         

I was having some sympathy for the environmental dad until he expressed his wish that his daughter’s almost fatal act would get a lot of news coverage. Then any sympathy went out the window and I was glad the kids went to live with their grandparents. He was definitely too intense about and too immersed in the fight to the detriment of his kids

• Like 5

Or when he gave up custody of his kids so he could keep doing his activism work? 😬

Jojo not liking the bracelet after all was hilarious. Lauren Holly delivered that scene perfectly. Especially since her wanting the bracelet was the catalyst for Harry's many legal ethics issues now.

• Like 1

S03.E04: Play It Straight

123ffa28f9bffb683262be66a5a43924.jpg

Abby (Jewel Staite) finds herself playing both lawyer and counsellor as she helps a paranoid and deeply closeted actor avoid being outed to the public when his bitter ex writes a play about him. 

Premiere Date: February 7, 2024     CW    9pm         

S03.E05: Between a Rock and a Hard Place

4b6b3dabaf1acab8de60fd37bd1fe046.jpg

Abby (Jewel Staite) scrambles to undo the damage after she advises a pair of exhausted parents to surrender their autistic son to the Ministry for support and her clients are charged with neglect. 

Premiere Date: February 14, 2024     CW    9pm         

S03.E06: When the Chip Hits the Fan 

1034038c75a569ba42d49955a1d5a305.jpg

When a heart attack lands Judge Chip Crombie in hospital and both his wives show up, Abby (Jewel Staite) revels in her nemesis’ shame at being exposed as a bigamist – until she discovers that her client and Chip’s second wife, might have known he was already married.

Premiere Date: February 21, 2024     CW    9pm         

Abby really is acting incredibly bratty. BUt it's not like she's surrounded by excellent role models, either.

I like that Daniel actually has a less naturally cut throat instinct. I understood Harry's point, but it's kind of what's wrong with the world, too. I mean, yes, sometimes it's needed. But at the same time, it's also shitty. I don't know what I want them to do with this, but I think it's an interesting character issue.

I'm a lesbian and I laughed at the UHaul joke when Abby told it (it's a cliche but I get it) and I also thought she was right at the time. But her delivery is so rude and uncaring, that it's no wonder nobody wants her input. Her being proved right will not make her less obnoxious, which is another interesting character issue. 

That judge was abusive and Abby was maybe morally excusable for kneeing him in the groin, but it was still her own recklessness that put her in that situation and her way of handling it was in line with how off the rails she is generally. Being right isn't always enough to protect you from being wrong. I don't know if he'll try to get her for assault or how that will play out, but she is playing with fire and doesn't seem to have learned anything yet. Also, I thought that the mouth-to-mouth part of CPR was no longer considered critical, but I might be wrong about that. 

The scene with Abby and her son, where he's polite and friendly with dad's new girlfriend, but then confides that he can't stand her made me laugh. He is way better behaved than either of his parents, and I kind of love him, even if he seems a little young for the age he's supposed to be.

I don't like Abby's new squeeze. I just think he's going to do something grossly unethical and she's trusting him too much too fast. Reckless. Is she still going to therapy, or did she quit as soon as the court mandated part was done? 

• Like 2

I was wondering how they would deal with Chip on the bench, and this provides a good "out" for his getting kicked off and/or possible dis-baring.

I knew Kelly was shady from the get-go. She's not-so-subtly starting to isolate Lucy from her family. (What's next? Suggesting she change jobs? Move?)

Abby - CLOSE YOUR BLINDS. 😬

• Like 2

S03.E07: Bass Fishing

e2917902d4d87254f7b4079e9dbb465b.jpg

When the lucrative Bass divorce is derailed by allegations of husband Connery’s embezzling, Abby (Jewel Staite) and Daniel (Zach Smadu) race to get their client, Sabrina, clear. But was Sabrina truly clueless about her estranged husband’s crimes? 

Premiere Date: February 28, 2024     CW    9pm         

HOW is Lucy this blind? I know she's in love, but she's generally got a good head on her shoulders. What is Heather's long game here? Isolation, so total control I guess?

Daniel is definitely torn between becoming either of his parents. I'd wager to say he's not smart enough or strong enough to realize he can be his own person.

Glad Abby gave the "anonymous tip" so to speak to Zina to take down Sabrina Bass. Hopefully that's the last we'll see of that character.

• Like 2

S03.E08: Where There's a Will

a9a99d9b8dd7e78cd278fa98182ba60b.jpg

The parallels to their own lives are unmistakable when both Abby and Daniel represent clients who want something a court can't order: their parents' respect.

Premiere Date: March 6, 2024     CW    9pm         

I think Lucy is starting to get a clue, but she doesn't want to believe it. It's all the more disappointing because she ought to be trained (as a therapist) to recognize the signs AND she has supportive people around her who are noticing and telling her.

It was heavy-handed, but I liked that harry started to see himself reflected (badly) even just a little bit.

I think that the show is basically showing us people not wanting to be honest with themselves-- Daniel and Abby are in the same boat, in their own ways. Really, everyone is. 

It's an accomplishment that the show has not become too enraging to watch, given how badly most of the characters are behaving. It manages to make me not exactly sympathetic or supportive to them, but not so annoyed that I can't stand it.

• Like 2

I was just thinking the same thing while watching - all of the characters have some very obvious unsympathetic behaviours and yet I don't find myself hating any of them.

I think it helps that the characters are always pointing out each others' flaws. So you know they know their flaws. I also like that they aren't able or willing to make any huge sweeping changes of themselves like you'd usually see on TV. It's so much more realistic that everything is baby steps forward and then big falls backwards.

• Like 3

Also, they seem equally matched, in the sense that we don't have villains and victims.

A lot of the time, shows portray people who are either way too good or way too bad, and the characters on this show are making believably human mistakes. I mean... I've seen all their behaviors in real life. I don't sit here watching and think: they're just doing this extreme stuff to make the show more dramatic! Yes, there's drama. But the dysfunctional behaviors are consistently in character, and believable, and for the most part the characters are not tormenting each other on purpose but are just messy and messed up. I don't feel pressured to root for or against anyone.

It's a little frustrating, but there's enough good will and positive behaviors, too, so that it doesn't leave me exasperated without any relief. I like that every character has good and bad qualities, good moments and bad ones, and each relationship likewise is a complex mix.

I can say Harry is a pretty good grandfather to Abby's son, even though he's basically a non-entity to her daugher and was an absent father to Abby... though he did bail her out when she crashed and burned in her career, landing her a job at his firm. He seems to have been a good dad for Lucy and he's kind of horrible to Daniel, but he also didn't abandon him completely like he did with Abby. He's a successful lawyer for his clients, and also kind of a shitty person at the same time, behaving unethically enough to get suspended and generally not giving too much of a damn about anything other than money and his personal gratification... but then he will give in and let Daniel or Abby take a pro bon case now and then even though he personally doesn't want to.

All of them are as complex as that, but it somehow holds together and doesn't feel like whiplash.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

He seems to have been a good dad for Lucy and he's kind of horrible to Daniel, but he also didn't abandon him completely like he did with Abby

Harry as a father definitely leaves a lot to be desired if you aren't Lucy but from things said by Lucy, Zina and even Joanne, I've gotten the impression his abandonment of Abby wasn't strictly voluntary. I'm sure he could have tried harder than he did but some of it seems like there was a degree of parental alienation going on.

• Like 2

S03.E09: Catch 22

59aa6be26f3d2ae880d2648aa629e8e6.jpg

Abby’s (Jewel Staite) client, Naomi, wants a medically assisted death before Alzheimer’s destroys her capacity to consent, but with time running out, Naomi’s grieving son seeks a court order to block her access. 

Premiere Date: March 13, 2024     CW    9pm         

Abby was a jerk with her ex’s girlfriend. And her mom decided to break up with Harry again because she feared she couldn’t trust him

S03.E10: The Chickens Come Home to Roost

3d97e580cfac28371d790a93e9cea3c0.jpg

(Season Finale)

When a DNA test reveals that Carla’s daughter was switched at birth, Abby (Jewel Staite) fights for her client’s right to know her biological child. Meanwhile at home, Sofia’s (Eden Summer Gilmore) school essay on “secrets” makes Abby question whether all the work she’s done to stay sober was worth it.

Premiere Date: March 20, 2024     CW    9pm         

I understand that Joanne can't trust Harry, and I don't really know why she should, but she also can't trust herself, apparently. Harry also needs to take seriously the harm he did to both her and Abby, and get his own moreal inventory and amends going. His taking his anger out on Abby was truly vile. Everyone needs to go to therapy.

Lucy is going to need help from someone who understand how domestic violence works. She is going to need legal help to get that horrible person out of her house. And she needs to be afraid right now, not just exaasperated. 

I think that Daniel can't be friends with either of them because he was keeping a secret. The dude deserves to know what happened, but it was his fiancee's job to tell him. I'm not sure at what point Daniel was supposed to distance himself or not distance himself, tell or not tell. This is really on his fiancee. I get why he thought he was doing the right thing, but still, I don't know why people think that keeping a secret is a good way to be a friend or a partner. That bit about the rotten foundation is not untrue.

Abby finally facing things is long overdue, but good for her for finally doing it. Her kid is still trying to protect her. Abby's still acting out. She's a lot more like her dad than she wanted to admit, though she has more of an excuse than he does. But ultimately, there are not excuses. There are reasons. But reasons come with responsibilities. 

Cecil and Winston as the dynamic office duo was comic relief.

• Like 1
(edited)

It was a season finale, not the end of the show.

Press release from Global:

January 31, 2024 – ... Global announced that hit Canadian legal drama Family Law has been greenlit for a fourth season with 10 all-new episodes. Produced by SEVEN24 Films and Lark Productions, and created by Canadian award-winning author Susin Nielsen, Season 4 starts production in Vancouver this March.

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 2