Type keyword(s) to search

The Show, the Books and (ugh) the Movies: Compare and Contrast

• Start Topic

I’ll start. The movies were the CW aged up version. They were not bad for what they were, but the stories are really true to the preteen behaviors and motivations. There was huge cognitive dissonance. 

I recently watched the second one, which I had never seen. I don’t remember the first one clearly. I vastly prefer Chiron and Dionysus in the TV show. Nathan Fillion was a good Hermes. 

The first movie was okay. I feel like I saw the second one eventually. But I have literally no memory of it.

I know a lot of people complained about aging the characters. And I do think took something away from the relationships. The interactions do work better with preteens.

For me, however, the movies' biggest sin was how much of the charm and humor of the books was lost by the rushed pacing of the movie. One of the things I like best about Riodan's books is how much much he infuses into even side characters.  His knowledge of history and mythology and how he incorporates it into brief interactions is really fun as a reader.

it's one of things I love most about the TV series so far is how much of that character depth has been translated into the show. 

For me, the benefit of the first movie, is that it introduced me to the books. I went with a friend who had read the books, but I didn't even know it was a series. I watched the movie (she hated it) and enjoyed it so I checked out the books. And then I understood why she hated the movie. 

• Like 1

I'm wàaaaaay old for YA fiction, but I love it so much.  I think because it reminds me of how much I loved reading, just for the stories and fun.  

I haven't read the Percy Jackson books, but I got them on audiobooks for commutes to work from the library.  There is always a waiting list, that's how popular they are.  In fact, I think I've only listened to the first two.  I think I listened to all the Magnus Chase books up to 2020 though.

I'm three episodes in, and what I'm seeing on my screen is very close to what was in my head when reading the books.  My Percy had darker hair though.

I saw the first movie, and I can appreciate it as an adaptation, but so far this series is far superior.