Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Deep Throat

Episode synopsis: A test pilot who may have been flying aircraft made with alien technology disappears, and Mulder and Scully must defy their own government to find the truth. Written by: Chris Carter. Directed by: Daniel Sackheim.

Another week, another episode!   Our favorite baby agents are back for another week of spooky fun.  Well, maybe Scully isn't having so much fun, because Mulder is totally making her field reports sound like gibberish.  

Thoughts:

Look at fluffy-haired Mulder trying to buy Scully a drink midday.  And how did he get his hair so fluffy?  That had to have taken some work and careful coiffing.

The name Deep Throat.  Like I get the episode is named after the man, the man is named after the episode, but he never actually gives a name in the ep so where did it come from?

Scully has so many moments in this episode where she just looks so over it, all of it.  Mulder withholding info from her (which he'll do often) and not telling her the full story, Mulder ditching her at the motel, Mulder chasing UFOs, Mulder getting himself in danger and baby, ponytail Scully having to save his ass.  I love at the end she is just exasperated and DONE and is all let's get the hell up outta here.  

So far I've learned in the first two episodes that:  here be aliens, some portion of the govt is covering up stuff by hoarding it in the Pentagon, the military is flying aircrafts with alien technology...  Oh, and aliens have been here a long, long time.

• Love 1

Ah, yes, the hairdos! Among the most notable things for me in this episode is Scully's new haircut. They really succeeded in making her age. Which isn't a bad thing, Pilot Scully really does look too young!

I love when Scully looks over it, but then she's so awesome and saves Mulder's ass. Mulder's a bit of a fool and I love that Scully isn't less passive just because she doesn't immediately believes there's a UFO conspiracy (or because she's a woman).

It's a really solid second episode. Episode 2 often seems to be a tricky one and a poor one compared to pilots and what comes after. No wonder people kept watching especially after the kick-ass third episode.

Seth Green! He does play his part well.

No autopsy :-(

M: Tell me I'm crazy.

S: Mulder, you're crazy.

• Love 2

I tried to watch, and fell asleep somewhere in the middle. Woke up at the very end.  I guess I have to try again over the weekend.  I think the last thing I saw was the conversation in the car about the stoner kid. 

"Did you see his eyes? If I were that stoned..."

"If you were that stoned what? 

Too funny. 

• Love 1

I thought the actress who played Mrs. Budahaus was really good. She sure can turn on the waterworks.

Yes, Gabrielle Rose is all over shows filmed in Vancouver. I always like what she brings to the table.

Action!Scully!

Seth Green!

Gross Colonel Budahaus!

Amnesia eye drops!

Deep Throat!

The first in a series of terrible hairdos for both of them!

Naive and reckless Mulder!

It's one of my favorites from season 1.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1
I thought the actress who played Mrs. Budahaus was really good.

I agree she was good.  (Better than Duchovny.  Is that rude?  I love the guy, but he's not always great and I thought he had some pretty weak moments in this episode.)

The first in a series of terrible hairdos for both of them!

Aw, I don't think they're that bad.  Scully's hair looks so soft I kind of want to pet it.  And the fluffy haired Mulder is still better than the hedgehog of season two.  Although the one little curl in his forehead is not my favorite.  

Screenshot20.jpg

This is a very strong second episode.  Deep Throat is such an interesting character and I think Jerry Hardin is really really great in the role.  The plot of this one holds together a lot better than the Pilot, I think, while still leaving some mystery.  And Scully's really badass in this episode.  I don't think I remembered just how tough she had to be with that fake reporter guy to rescue Mulder.  

I was getting ready to comment on this one when I just realized I didn't watch the last 15 minutes yet!  Had to take a nap before it was time to get the kids from school, ha ha.  So I'll finish it up tonight hopefully.

Forgot to ever come back and comment on this one....

Really good, solid episode.  I find that I enjoy the early eps more now that I'm not constantly looking for 'shipper confirmation, if that makes sense.  I just enjoy the storylines for what they are.

It still cracks me up when Mulder's all WTF? at the end when they release him.  The guy's being all self-important and "the information's equal to the protection we give it" or some such, meanwhile Mulder can barely remember how to stand upright.  LOL.

Great second episode, IMO!