Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: What If… Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper?

• Start Topic

Ah, this is a full on remix of Winter Soldier, where Peggy is Steve, Nat is Sam (or at least the sidekick role, combining Sam and Nat's roles from the movie), Steve is Bucky, Bucky is Alexander Pierce... plus like 20% of the Black Widow movie too.

Wait, is Rumlow not evil in this universe? Or I guess maybe even if he is, Hydra and the Red Room aren't necessarily allies.

That air rescue of Steve in the shorted-out suit was dope.

Steve and Peggy talking about the passage of time since WW2 made me realize Peggy still wears her hair in a very 1940s-ish style. I get the visual design reasons for them not to change her hairstyle, but it doesn't feel that believable.

I do like that they brought back that sound effect from CA:TWS where the bullet ricochets changed in pitch as the shield wielder approached the machine gun.

Oh snap, I was all set to wait for the next season doing a Peggy Carter version of Civil War or something, but instead Peggy got yoinked to the 1602 universe!

• Like 1

As much as I enjoyed Scarlett Johansson's live action version of Natasha, I really do find myself digging Lake Bell's take in a way that if we ever do more multiverse shenanigans, I would be down for a live action version of her in the Black Widow gear and kicking ass!

Bucky as this universe's Alexander Pierce was unexpected.

Great seeing Melina here and getting Rachel Weisz to reprise the role.  Bummed we couldn't get an Yelena sighting.

A variation of Wanda has crashed the party!

• Like 2
On 12/27/2023 at 3:48 AM, arc said:

Wait, is Rumlow not evil in this universe? Or I guess maybe even if he is, Hydra and the Red Room aren't necessarily allies.

No, Hydra was wiped out by Bucky and Steve before Steve was captured by the Red Room.  This would change quite a bit of what happened in the MCU: the senior Starks not getting killed, SHIELD not being compromised, etc.  Of course the Red Room could fill in where Hydra left off.  

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Linderhill said:

No, Hydra was wiped out by Bucky and Steve before Steve was captured by the Red Room. 

I thought Hydra was almost wiped out, but the thing that took Steve out meant there was a stub of Hydra left over. I assumed that the last base wasn't fully destroyed. Probably not enough to have taken over SHIELD from the inside and start Project Insight, but enough to have a little something.

My guess is that either the Red Room absorbed the last bit of Hydra, or it still exists but didn't manage to infiltrate SHIELD.

Which kind of makes sense, using Hydra scientists was a very pragmatic decision that resulted in the infiltration. Bucky apparently replaced Peggy as a founder of SHIELD and a pre-winter soldier Bucky would be less pragmatic than Peggy.

Probably Rumlow and other HYDRA agents in the main timeline joined SHIELD for the right reasons and got corrupted. There was no HYDRA hiding in SHIELD to corrupt them in this universe.

• Like 3

I really liked this version of Winter Soldier, I wish that we could have had more time with it. It was cool seeing an older Bucky, this version of Steve, best friends Peggy and Nat, and a world where the Red Room took over the hole Hydra left, which makes a lot of sense. There was a lot that I wanted to explore more but with the shorter format that wasn't really possible. 

Nat and Peggy have great chemistry, lots of really funny banter between them. "It was a musical." 

I would have liked to see Yelena with the other Widows, but seeing Melina as nice, even if things are not exactly great between her and Nat this time.

That fake town was creepy

• Like 1

There was some really impressive animation in this one. Peggy fighting Steve on the water tower and Natasha fighting the widows in the shot up room like a silhouette both looked really cool.