Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Uninvited Guests

aghst
  • Start Topic

Tearney makes a bold move. The Slow Horses assist the Tiger Team, unaware of their hidden agenda. Lamb and Ho take a road trip.

Wow, I didn't really expect that they'd kill off Spider.  Maybe following the books.  River actually is a little torn up about Webb's demise, even though he hated him.

I haven't really read or watched a lot of spy fiction, in particular British spy fiction.  So the internal politics of MI5 is surprising to me.

Instead of Tearney and Tavener being boss and right-hand person supporting the boss, they're rivals and Tearney has to constantly fight off Taverner and others.  Of course the First Desk is chosen by politicians so Tearney has to be wary that rivals could curry the favor of craven and slimy pols like Judd.

But it seems like MI5 is a real GoT world, everyone trying to burn each other, to jockey for top position.  From the beginning, Lamb and Taverner were wary of each other and their dealings were always transactional, with Lamb extracting future favors, like the one that Tearney dangled to Lamb, which he rejected.

Of course everyone at Slough House except Lamb wants to return to the park so they're particularly susceptible to manipulation by Taverner or Tearney.  Or even the late departed Spider.

So the official story is that Alison committed suicide but Tearney's reaction indicates that something more nefarious occurred.  Standish reject's Sean's insinuation that MI5 killed Alison, says they don't do that.

At the end of the episode, Tearney orders Duffy to kill everyone inside, not just Sean and his accomplice but all the MI5 agents in there too, River and Louisa, who have at awkward hug after they do some pop psychology on each other's behavior.

Are spies this treacherous or is the author trying to show that there are real stakes, even for Slow Horses?  I would imagine if there was rampant backstabbing and betrayals within an organization where they're suppose to be on the same side, it would be pretty dysfunctional.

I guess it makes for a more interesting story.  It's not enough that they have to deal with actual bad guys they also have to watch out that their colleagues won't shiv them when they're not looking.

• Like 2

Another great episode.  We learned quite a bit about Alison and that there really is something nefarious going on.  Can't wait to see how River and Louisa get out of the file facility.   I really really really dislike

Not that I really care about Shirley or Marcus but I wonder if they're really gone.  If so wish Ho would go with them - he's my least favorite character of Slough House. 

Also really dislike Nick the security guy and his sidekick.  He'll be thrilled that it's River in the facility.

• Like 1

Poor Standish claiming MI5 does not kill its own. I wonder when that particular bomb is going off. (Well, she did add 'unless they're traitors' but I'm not sure that will make things better for her.)

And Sophie Okonedo is now dealing with backstabbing female underlings in two different shows. But damn, does she rock that silver bob!

Spider/Webb was such a cartoonish character that I'm glad we're rid of him.

River is starting to get on my nerves. The first thing to do after Tierney called should have been to Lamb. When will he ever learn? But that awkward hug was golden.

If Douglas gets killed next episode I'll cut a b*tch!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Who's Douglas?

The archivist. As someone who regularly comes in contact with his kind (of the not-Spooks variety) let me tell you he needs to be protected at all costs. If you ever needed to do some research and met with one of his evil siblings - think Smaug behind a desk - you know what I'm talking about.

To any archivist reading this: Just kidding!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, aghst said:

I haven't really read or watched a lot of spy fiction, in particular British spy fiction.  So the internal politics of MI5 is surprising to me.

British espionage is my favorite genre, if I can find great authors. Mick Herron is one. He has said his favorite is the late great John Le Carre, whose work is more subtle than the mayhem we see on this show.

Speaking of subtle, I'm loving Sophie Okonedo as First Desk. And Jack Lowden is great as what could be a carbon copy role. His clumsy attempt to bond with Louisa was a welcome bit of comedy.

If so wish Ho would go with them - he's my least favorite character of Slough House.

I could barely tolerate him in season one, and I think production tweaked his character a bit to make him more bearable.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 2

One benefit of reading the books are the glimpses into Roddy’s mind, which are some of the funniest parts of the books and can’t really be communicated on screen..

One really odd error in the latest episode was the reference to the embassy in Istanbul. Embassies are in the nation’s capital and the capital of Turkey is Ankara. I’m sure there is a British consulate in Istanbul, but I have no idea why they called it an embassy.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 12/16/2023 at 12:26 PM, Rickster said:

One benefit of reading the books are the glimpses into Roddy’s mind, which are some of the funniest parts of the books and can’t really be communicated on screen..

Reading the books also makes me appreciate just how well the actor Christopher Chung portray's Roddy and his deluded sense of self.  I don't see how the cast can keep a straight face when he's delivering his lines. 

• Like 3