Type keyword(s) to search

RFDS: Royal Flying Doctor Service - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Second season now on PBS passport.

Follow the heroes of the Royal Flying Doctor Service in the Australian outback. Based on remarkable real-life stories, this gripping drama series follows the modern-day heroes of the Royal Flying Doctor Service as they navigate private lives as turbulent and profound as the heart-stopping emergencies they attend to across some of the most beautiful and inhospitable places in the Australian outback.

(I looked really hard and could not find any mention of this show on Primetimer, though there were a few nominations for RFDS in the Winter Primetimer awards)

• Like 1

Ha, I thought I was the only one aware of this little gem of a show (I'm the one who made the Primetimer nominations). I haven't seen season 2 yet (I don't have Passport... I'm hoping my PBS affiliate eventually airs it-- that's where I discovered the first season-- or that I can eventually purchase it on Google Play), but I'm glad that it's finally airing, and that it's been renewed for a third season. 

I just discovered this show, so I've only seen one episode-- the S2 ep that just aired on my local PBS station.

I really like it. Not sure how annoyed I'll get by the soapiness of the team relationships, but I liked the scenery and the medical cases-of-the-week.

--

Hated the husband who got violent on the airplane. Yes, he's upset. But for godsake, you're on a tiny airplane with two critically injured people. Shut your damn ego up and have your meltdown later, on sold ground, without endangering anyone and subjecting bystanders to your crap.

I also didn't understand why she took random pills-- isn't abortion available legally and safely in Australia? 

At first, I was not very sympathetic to her, because besides the cheating, she seemed determined to ignore reality. But then I thought: she's probably afraid of her asshole husband, so I give her a little more leeway on bad behavior. Though, in my dreams, adults behave like adults and talk about things instead of acting out like toddlers. Alas! Seems to be too much to ask for in life or fiction.

--

I know three women who died of ovarian cancer, so it's a bit of a terrifying topic. I do have a question about what they said, though: they said they weren't sure if what she had was cancer and wouldn't know until after the surgery, right? Or did I misunderstand?

On 4/3/2024 at 6:13 PM, possibilities said:

I also didn't understand why she took random pills-- isn't abortion available legally and safely in Australia?

She didn't want the husband to know about the pregnancy and was afraid if she went to a clinic, he'd find out because of the time it would require.  So she tried getting the medication over the internet but unfortunately what she received was not the right medicine.

On 4/3/2024 at 6:13 PM, possibilities said:

I do have a question about what they said, though: they said they weren't sure if what she had was cancer and wouldn't know until after the surgery, right?

She had a tumor, but they weren't sure it was malignant until after the surgery to remove it.  At least that was my understanding.