Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Chapter 6: Crime Seen

• Start Topic

A lacklustre penultimate episode. Can they stick the landing in the finale?

Reveals from this episode:

• Flashback - SDK shot himself when Darby & Bill discovered his wife’s body in the basement. This confirms that the murders at the retreat are unrelated to him.
  • Flashback - Bill was traumatized of what happened while Darby was still fixated on the SDK. He left her the next morning after struggling to connect with her, plus their inability to stay on the same page after that traumatic experience. This marked the birth of FANGS.
  • Darby nearly drowns in the pool but she’s saved by David & Lee. Darby suspects the pool cover could be hacked to trap her.
  • Andy’s paranoia has led to unhealthy upbringing of Zoomer. He protects him from the outside world, micromanages everything and becomes abusive towards Lee. She tried to escape once but failed.
  • Bill initially rejected Andy’s invitation to the retreat. Andy then invited Darby as a bait. The reason why Andy wanted Bill at the retreat is unknown.
  • David & Lee are closer than we think. He knows what Andy is capable of and he’s helping Lee to escape him, together with Bill and Rohan. This explains the 3 cups that Tomas delivered to Bill’s room.
  • Lee has included Bill in her escape plan due to their history. Rohan was supposed to help Lee & Zoomer staying off the grid as his “Last Chance” boat uses no electronic devices. David has arranged for her Argentinian passport.
  • Darby & Lee take another look at Bill’s doorbell cam footage. They notice he opened the door for someone but no one appeared. They believe the killer has edited himself out of the footage. They suspects Andy or Eva (who has feelings for Andy).
  • Bill and his bloodied fingerprints left some clues in the final chapter of Darby’s book. The term “faulty programming” hints about Ray possible involvement in those murders.
  • The fact that Andy is OK with Todd beating up his friend/partner (David) has confirmed his willingness to do everything to keep Zoomer with him.

Those flashbacks have allowed us to connect with Bill and to understand his relationship with Darby. They aren’t about solving the murder mystery.

Frank Bell (the SDK) imprisoning his wife - Patricia in her home (skeleton in the basement) is a parallel to Andy keeping Lee in the underground suite.

Theoretically, there are some individuals that cannot be captured by the doorbell cam when Bill opened the door - Zoomer (too short) and Oliver (on the wheelchair).

In E01, it’s shown that the final chapter of Darby’s book is titled “Debate”. While in E06, that chapter is called “Dug-In”. Continuity error?

How Lee knows about Darby being held up at knifepoint? Unless she IS the attacker. Does Darby tell her about the attack off screen?

I still don’t trust Lee. She’s a very unreliable narrator. She’s supposed to be this genius hacker but she didn’t even bother to check whether Zoomer is chipped before escaping to Canada. That’s why you’re traceable, Lee.

What this episode does is shifting the perspective on Andy - from someone who’s willing to work with Darby in solving the murders to an abusive husband and a controlling father. Next week, if Andy is revealed to be the killer (with help from Ray), I will be totally disappointed because it's too straightforward. 😣

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 3

Why on earth does the pool cover even need to be "on the grid"??? Is Oliver's wheelchair connected to the grid too??

I agree with @Snazzy DaisyIt's too convenient to make Andy the killer. How do we even know of Lee was telling the truth? Maybe she was the one kidnapping Zoomer.

I'm surprised that mostly all the guests that have some tech experience are potential suspects but they never mention that guy who was a filmmaker. He's rarely spoken about. Didn't he say he read Darby's book? And also in an earlier episode he makes a movie with the AI's help and was inisistent that AI was better in many ways. He may not be the killer but with all the murder's that's happening at the hotel, it would surely make a good movie... 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

We really only have Lee's word that Andy is abusive, right?

I agree that Andy + AI butler as killer is a cop out.  Unfortunately, since they haven't fleshed out any of the other characters at all, anyone else would also be a cop out.  At least the kid isn't a robot - they showed him eating.

I'll watch next week to be completist, but this isn't convincing me to watch anything else that this team puts out.

Harris Dickinson is amazing though.

• Like 2

Harris Dickinson is why I watch.

Was amused to see Darby had time to reapply her pink hair colour in between almost drowning and getting her hair blowdryed by Lee and then meeting up with Lee and Oliver in Bill's room. Also that this supposed super sleuth sat down and step by step discussed the most obvious facts with the other two, without paying any particular note to the missing copy of her bloodstained book suddenly reappearing, unbagged; or that all of Bill's stuff was conveniently still there and not with the Iceland police or returned to his relatives. Her modus operandi seems to be blurt out anything to anyone she happens to be with. The only way she rules out a suspect is if they're dead.

I do not have high hopes for this all wrapping up in a satisfying, let alone surprising, way in only 40 or 45 minutes.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, violet and green said:

Was amused to see Darby had time to reapply her pink hair colour in between almost drowning and getting her hair blowdryed by Lee and then meeting up with Lee and Oliver in Bill's room.

I didn't really pay attention to her hair in previous episodes but in this one it was extremely obvious. In the scene where Lee is brushing her hair its somewhat of a pale peach shade but in the next scene when they are in Bill's room, her hair is like bright bubblegum pink. 

• Like 1

First, no chance Andy would let his kid go to school with other kids. None. Private schooling all the way. 
And for whatever reason that made me decide that Zoomer is the killer. Maybe not directly, but when he’s got the vr set on and Ray controls him. Ray “cares” about Zoomer. His brother. I don’t know. This is reminding me of when Lost was ending and my Charlie Day wall of conspiracies was way more interesting than how the show ended. Hope it’s at least somewhat surprising.

• Like 2

i assumed the reference to the faulty programming is a clear hint that THE AI DID IT. (ie Ray)

as to the door opening and no one there - the wheelchair user would be under the door monitor thing i assume.but could also stand up (occasionally) to be the man who held the phone to Darby's face a few episodes ago - the kid wouldn't.

So one more episode to go.

i wish derby would be killed, her style is just to blurt out whatever she is thinking/just discovered. thats just daft.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dex87 said:

First, no chance Andy would let his kid go to school with other kids. None. Private schooling all the way. 
And for whatever reason that made me decide that Zoomer is the killer. Maybe not directly, but when he’s got the vr set on and Ray controls him. Ray “cares” about Zoomer. His brother. I don’t know. This is reminding me of when Lost was ending and my Charlie Day wall of conspiracies was way more interesting than how the show ended. Hope it’s at least somewhat surprising.

The showrunners apparently said the ending is straightforward, so if you have formulated byzantine theories I suspect you will be disappointed. This may even be part of the fabric of the story.  The answer to Darby and Bill’s original mystery was simpler than you might think. 

Zoomer’s school may have been a private school, but also Andy would know he would need socialization, especially if he was likely to be totally isolated in an adult enclave in a fee years. 

i agree the AI is a prime suspect. 

Edited by Affogato
Typo
  • Like 2