Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Ritz

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Stick to discussion of the episode, please. Discussion or mention of future events is NOT ALLOWED in episode topics, including mention of individuals who have not yet appeared or events that occur in future decades; this also includes links to articles or discussion of 'how it really happened'. Posts will be removed without notice that violate forum rules. Repeated violations may incur further sanctions.

• Start Topic

On 12/16/2023 at 9:33 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I still couldn’t help shaking my head at her blatant refusal to stop smoking, drinking and partying.

Yes, but maybe the smoking, the drinking, and the partying (and the candies, and the rich food, and the stylish high heels, and all of the other indulgences) were integral to who she thought she was.  If she dropped them all -- even after the strokes -- she might as well be dead, because she wouldn't be Princess Margaret anymore.

I mean, is Princess Margaret Confined To A Wheelchair really Princess Margaret, especially to her?

On 12/27/2023 at 9:04 AM, pasdetrois said:

The sisters had knockout 50s-style bombshell figures when young.

If you wore the sort of undergarments women were forced into in the 1950s, you'd also have a knockout bombshell figure.

You'd also be uncomfortable in the extreme, and you'd probably wish you were dead.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 12/15/2023 at 6:08 PM, Helena Dax said:

At some points I wondered if the actress playing young Elizabeth was Claire Foy de-aged through CGI!

Me too! Fantastic casting. 

I struggled with the scenes of Margaret during and after the strokes. I took care of my father for six years until he passed away. He had dementia, but the similarities of seeing the wheelchair, sickness, his decline, etc. It brought back sad memories.

I expect LM to get an Emmy nomination. She was wonderful. 

Edited by Sweet-tea

Okay, I just got this. Margaret had her first stroke while she was reciting naughty limericks. Part of her recovery was speech exercise: reciting children's limericks. That would be rather discouraging. 

Not much more I can say. Lesley Manville was remarkable. Like others, I was confused at young Elizabeth looking so much like Claire Foy. With all its faults they’ve done some excellent casting on this show and none better than this season but this was, by a mile, the best episode in a long time.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Lesley Manville was superb. The only thing that took me out of the episode was the queen mother actress. Goodness, that was bad casting. But the young Elizabeth and Margaret? Fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1