Type keyword(s) to search

Compare and Contrast: Book vs Show vs Movies

• Start Topic

I got a kick out of the use of old horror movie themes and names like The Pit and The Pendulum, The Masque of the Red Death, Murder in the Rue Morgue. Reminded me of my early teens watching old (even then) re-runs of those, and especially Hammer House of Horror movies, at night with all the lights off and being on the edge of our seats.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

re-runs of those, and especially Hammer House of Horror movies, at night with all the lights off and being on the edge of our seats.

I used to watch those when I was a kid, and up too late, as usual. One of the four channels would show them late at night. When my mum was painting her room, she moved her bed in with our bunkbeds, and we snuggled up to watch one of those movies, set in a hotel. 

• Like 1
On 10/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

As gruesome as the deaths were,  I am loving how Mike Flanagan had adapted both "The Masque of Red Death" and "The Tale-Tale Heart."  The spirit of the story is there while also fitting into the overall narrative.  

Same!  As with probably most casual Poe readers (of which I am one), those are 2 of my favorites along with The Cask of Amontillado which got good treatment here as well although not a full episode.  I guess because they wanted to have funerals?  

I was also very worried for Lenore from the moment I heard her name.  I guess she was meant to be the suspense?