Type keyword(s) to search

Summer School (1987)

Laurie4H
  • Start Topic

I revisited this movie lately and I think it is one of the most overlooked comedy of the 80’s.  Anyone else agree?

None of the kids are really mean spirited in it.  They are portrayed as smart.  Just not school motivated or book smart.  
The chemistry of the actors is also great. 

• Like 8

I can recite this movie verbatim when I watch it, I have seen it so many times.

I always wanted to do the "Tension breaker, had to be done" scream before a test, but never did.

I like that they skipped the tired, sexist storyline of the other girls in the class being intimidated by Anna-Maria.

Denise's driving lesson cracks me up every time:

Why'd you do that [pull over]?
A car was coming.
Well, that'll happen from time to time.

We just got lapped by an old lady with a walker.

And when Gills asks what in the world they're watching; it's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Shoop says "New film from the school district:  Safe Use of Power Tools".

The movie is silly fun, but the kids are great together, and great with Shoop.  And, while pretty cheesy on paper, they really sell the scene at the end when the kids and their parents all come in to speak on Shoop's behalf.  (I love Kelban's delivery on "It always has been" when Rhonda's mom asks "Isn't childbirth grounds for a make-up test?")

• Like 3

So many great lines and moments

During Denise’s driving lesson when she keeps checking if it’s clear and then Chainsaw checks a few times also.

Chainsaws little dance when Shoop is granted Tenor.  

Shoop ”They’re as smart as you and me”
Gills “You and I”
Shoop ”All of us”

Chainsaw “You passed and I failed how can you do this to me you asshole”
Dave “I’ll take it again I know I can fail”

Shoop “That guy who spent 6 weeks in the bathroom got a 91”

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 9/19/2023 at 1:18 PM, Laurie4H said:

“That guy who spent 6 weeks in the bathroom got a 91”

I love when Shoop tries to stop him from going into the testing room, and Jerome tells him "I know, I'm in your class":

-I remember you.  Where've you been?
-Bathroom.
-For six weeks?
-My zipper got stuck.

And I love his introduction, too:

-The computer said I failed that test.  The computer made an error.  I recommend this time, I pass.
-You're going to do well, Jerome, I can feel it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

Fabulous -- Denise's driving lesson is available online:

I love Denise.  Especially her excuse for why she has no essay - about the person she admires least, not most, her ex-boyfriend Andre - to turn in:  "I had to memorize my essay due to the fact that I was mugged by a gang looking for money and homework."

Another of my favorites, this exchange when Gills tells Shoop he's been chosen to teach summer school:

"That's alright, these aren't real students.  They're unmotivated, irresponsible, not too bright.  They'll relate to you."  LOL!  Gills is such an asshole, but Robin Thomas plays those characters perfectly.  "Well, I'll let you return to your rigorous pursuit of academic excellence" is another favorite.

The kids send the replacement teacher running for the hills:

It always makes me laugh how the guy with the hand has been missing for most of the movie (in the bathroom with Jerome?) but they need an extra person to pull out Kevin's tongue, so they bring him back.

I like when they find Shoop on the beach to beg him to return, and he looks at all their gore and asks, "Tough day at school?"

I wish there was a clip of this one, when Robin walks into the classroom during the swear-fest as Shoop is declaring "jizzumhead" a good one and writing it on the board:

Robin: One of my personal faves.
Shoop: Psychology.  You give a child a license to swear, they lose all interest in it.
Chainsaw: I certainly did.
Robin: I think you're full of bull.
Rhonda: It's okay, you can say bullshit in here.
Robin: I'm grateful.

Kirstie Alley's line delivery on "I'm grateful" is perfect.

I also wish the courtroom scene was available.  The judge, looking at the ID Dave showed to buy vodka:  "You were a Black Marine in 1968?"  His response:  "Vietnam.  War puts a man through many, many changes."

But here's part of the great scene in the principal's office at the end:

"Now that's teaching."

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Rhonda: It's okay, you can say bullshit in here.
Robin: I'm grateful.

Kirstie Alley's line delivery on "I'm grateful" is perfect.

I thought it was funny when she suggested rude hand gestures because it was quieter, then backed out of the room while demonstrating. 

• LOL 1

Love this movie. Another of my 80s favorites. The mom of my best friend took him and me to see this when it came out, thinking it would be a nice, tame comedy suitable for kids (we were 9!!!). She INSTANTLY regretted it once the movie got going and kept saying she thought we should leave and see something different. But my friend and i kept convincing her it wasn't that inappropriate for us and eventually she just gave up, lol. 

• Like 1

This was a great feel good comedy of the 80s.  It had comedy, heart felt moments, and great lines and characters.

You had the rapport between Harmon and Alley, plus all the students had actually characters to play.  Denise was my favorite of the students.

• Like 1