Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Rob Riggle and Michelle William

• Start Topic

All-new game show "Snake Oil" is hosted and produced by Emmy and Golden Globe Award-nominated comedian David Spade ("Saturday Night Live," "Just Shoot Me") and executive-produced by Emmy nominee Will Arnett ("LEGO Masters," "Arrested Development"), through his Electric Avenue Productions. In the show's all-new original format, contestants are pitched unique products by convincing entrepreneurs - some of whom are showcasing real business ventures, while the others are "Snake Oil Salesmen," whose products are fake.

With the help of guest celebrity advisors, contestants must determine which products are real and which are a sham, for a chance to win life-changing money. In each round of Snake Oil, contestants choose a pair of entrepreneurs and learn about their extremely unique (and often bizarre) products through visuals, a custom-made infomercial exclusively produced for Snake Oil, and by quizzing the business representative themselves. With the help of their celebrity advisors, the contestants must then decide who is selling an authentic product and who is hawking a sham. Will they make the right choice or be duped by snake oil?!

Rob Riggle seemed subdued, and Michelle Williams annoyed me. I immediately recognized almost all of the items that were fake, though. I mean, really, you thought bracelets made from baby teeth and hair was real? Some regulatory agency would label that as biohazard materials! 

The fake commercials were the best part, but I also wondered how this show managed to get created without a WGA writer on staff. Clearly there's a lot of writing going on to create those things, they were almost like little comedy sketches (The "Polar Opposite" dating app was the funniest one). 

In the final segment, the sign under the inflatable trunks said they were "by EKAF".  Anvilicious clue there.  Also, you would never find a flotation device for the lower half of your body (given the potential for it to keep your upper half underwater).

19 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

The fake commercials were the best part, but I also wondered how this show managed to get created without a WGA writer on staff. Clearly there's a lot of writing going on to create those things, they were almost like little comedy sketches (The "Polar Opposite" dating app was the funniest one). 

It could have been done before the writers strike

• Like 2
On 9/29/2023 at 8:41 AM, GenerationX said:

In the final segment, the sign under the inflatable trunks said they were "by EKAF".  Anvilicious clue there.

Similarly, baby bracelet lady, purported mom of several, had bare wrists.

• Useful 2
On 9/28/2023 at 1:32 PM, Gharlane said:

Rob Riggle seemed subdued

I agree. I think he probably took his role of advisor somewhat seriously, which is in line with what I know about him.

So he dialed it down a bit.