Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Part 3: Lantern Bush

• Start Topic

61GOH5WcaaL._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
When Alice finally releases her voice, she demands answers about her family. Instead, June continues weaving a web of deceit to hide the painful and shame-filled past.

Premiere Date: August 3, 2023      Prime Video       

I binged all 3 episodes so they are kind of a blur.  All in all it's been well done.

I have to say it is interesting the 'nature vs nurture' concept.  Was Clem showing signs at an early age that he will become an abusive person? Why did he become abusive since he grew up basically on a farm that shielded women from abusive partners.

I don't understand how Agnes didn't run away with Alice at the first signs of abuse since she knew that Thornfield was a safe place.

I felt mostly for Sally. Alice should have gone to her just because it would have been a cleaner break from her abusive past instead of the 'ghosts' at Thornfield. June and Sally could have come up with an arrangement where Sally had her and then Alice spent school holidays with June.

Sad that they took Twig's children because she was an Indigenous Person.  I get the conflict with Twig and Candy Blue in mourning Clem but disliking his actions at the same time.

June still has a shit load of secrets she is keeping from Alice and from Twig and Candy Blue. 

Lantern Bush   
Meaning: Hope may blind

A letter from June to Alice, asking her to try to find her voice so that they could both explain themselves. This is sweet and encouraging. Wait until Alice finds out that her grandma still not telling the whole truth.

Alyla Browne has displayed quite an impressive emotional range in all her scenes in the first 3 episodes. Her interpretation of how young Alice processing the fire tragedy, dealing with the traumas and starting to heal in Thornfield - great casting! 👍🏻

Let’s see whether Alycia Debnam-Carey can deliver the same. The actress can’t pull it off in Saint X - the emotional weight.

Candy’s feeling towards Clem, was it more than sibling’s love?

The final scene - will June be giving her blessing for John/Sally to adopt Alice’s brother??!

ETA:

June’s love story with Robber Baron is too magical to be true. What truly happened must be the opposite of it. We’ll have to wait and see.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
Moved some comments from E02 to E03.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Candy’s feeling towards Clem, was it more than sibling’s love?

The final scene - will June be giving her blessing for John/Sally to adopt Alice’s brother??!

I was thinking the same thing. Which is odd because June was ok with Oggi being at the farm and the little boy - Joshie. I get the feeling that June isn't very good with men/boys but it's sad that she will be separating the siblings.  They both should have gone to Sally and John.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, greekmom said:

I was thinking the same thing. Which is odd because June was ok with Oggi being at the farm and the little boy - Joshie.

She is not against men in general, just that the farm should always be owned by the females in the family. The trauma of her son leaving was caused by his not accepting this fact and she is afraid this may repeat itself when Alice and her brother grow up, so she wants to kill it in the bud. I expect the drama in the rest of the series will arise when a grown up Alice finds out her brother did not die and their separation was caused by June.

Not knowing that there were more episodes to come, we assumed this episode was the finale, and when it culminated in June's secret phone call, both of us literally cried out at the TV, "That was a terrible ending!" We couldn't believe it! The show had been so good; how could it let down the audience like that?

As Emily LItella once said, never mind.

• Like 1