Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: I Thought the Bed Was Gonna Fly

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

zs4yrpzAbNfwOmtPw56Q6TiF73O.jpg
Bottom Dollar hosts the west coast premiere of the controversial and illegal adult film, “Deep Throat.” Doug tries to dazzle their new publisher while Joyce sets out to get a famed writer to contribute a piece for Minx.

Premiere Date: July 28, 2023       Starz        9pm

I liked this episode a bit more than the premiere. My issue with this season is that I'm not quite sure what it's about.  Last season was clearly about getting the magazine up and running in spite of the competition, Doug's challenges and the puritanical mob trying to get them shut down.

Now that Joyce has gone back to Doug, is the struggle to get the magazine published over?  Are they established?  The star-studded premiere and afterparty kind of felt like it was moving the show into an established workplace comedy but that's a bit different than last year. 

If there's an overall driving question this season, I don't think they've introduced it yet.

And this show isn't quite put together enough this season to pull off the collision that sent the Deep Throat reels flying which created an inexplicable mound of film.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I liked this episode a bit more than the premiere. My issue with this season is that I'm not quite sure what it's about.  Last season was clearly about getting the magazine up and running in spite of the competition, Doug's challenges and the puritanical mob trying to get them shut down.

I suspect it will be about the price of success. Already Bambi, Tina and Richie are less than impressed by their gopher roles, and Constance will probably cause a divide between Joyce and Doug sometime through the season. 

The highlight of this episode was the quick glimpse of the girls at the slumber party not watching 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks". Oh, and the projectionist's spirited defence of Angela Lansbury.

• Like 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

The highlight of this episode was the quick glimpse of the girls at the slumber party not watching 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks". Oh, and the projectionist's spirited defence of Angela Lansbury.

Agreed. That was really the only laugh I got out of this one.

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah - as I recall, Season 1 ended in a way that sort of wrapped up the whole story. I think they wanted to tell a self-contained story in one season without relying on getting another. Much as I like these characters I'm not sure another season is warranted. 

Speaking of unwarranted, the gratuitous shot of the streaker at the beginning of this episode seems to suggest there's some sort of quota for full frontal male nudity in every episode. 

Edited by iMonrey

Who knows Deep Throat can stimulate Joyce into some deep-thinking. She came to the premiere with reluctance and personal biases. But with an open mind, she recognized things that are (or could be) important.

A silly mishap that turned out to be a blessing in disguise - wrong canisters were confiscated.

The sequence of Richie carrying the film canisters, colliding with Joyce in the theatre and Doug falling down the stairs - that was well done. Love it! 😂

Am glad Tina reminded Doug that she’s no longer his secretary. The mutual respect and trust between these two are evident but Doug doesn’t embrace that dynamic change yet.

We can sense that Constance doesn’t like Doug and we know she will create some frictions between Joyce and him. Am not looking forward to this arc. I like them working together harmoniously, solving other types of conflict and crisis.

I really don’t care about how conflicted Shelly is about Bambi/Lenny. Boring subplot, enough already. Bambi is a fun character, give her some uplifting materials, get her away from unhappy Shelly. Please.

• Like 2