Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Something Different / S01.E02: Charger

• Start Topic

To reverse her fate, Mrs. Mahabir hatches a plan to kidnap celebrity chef Jeff McCusker's grandson Jared.

and

As the McCuskers scramble to meet Aked's demands, things come to a head at Washington Square Park.

Dropping Thursday, July 13, 2023.

Enjoyed the hell out of this.  I like the way Soderberg doesn't spoonfeed the audience and just thrusts you into the narrative. Loving the fact that it's actually filmed in NYC and even though it features amazing actors it also feels like it's got a guerilla aspect to the filmmaking.  I have a few theories/observations...

Spoiler

The Olyphant/dad character is the father of the actual kidnapping victim and the monther-in-law also knows about that connection.  There were too many knowing glances between the two and Olyphant possessed the same emotional investment when he thought it was his son as he did when it was the random boy. Speaking of which, it didn't seem like that boy was randomly trying to assimilate parts of the sons life as his own.  He had been stealing items of clothing for a while and stalking the boys life. Not random.  

Looking forward to finding out more about the circles and whatever voodoo is associated with them.  

I was initially a Soderbergh fan (Out of Sight is still one of my favorite films).  However, I have had mixed feelings on Soderbergh's more recent work, these episodes included.

Still, I am still intrigued because we were dropped in the middle of the story and I want the beginning and end (although... presumably Clarence's ep 1 beginning voiceover was a bit dubious). This isn't a "multitask while having the TV on in the background" kind of mini-series. 

Spoilers ahead:

Agreed with the theory on Nick(y) being Derek's son.  Once the name "Cherise" was mentioned, Derek's demeanor changed and he was super quick to deny knowing the name. I wonder about Nicky's story - he looks close in age to Jared.  His living arrangements appear dodgy yet he has a MacBook? Maybe he got it from school...I assumed Jared attends public.  Would be an easy way to stalk and steal from him.

I'm not sure the MIL is in the know - she seemed to be the only person genuinely concerned for the other boy despite him being a stranger. 

I would be surprised if Xavier and Louis make it out alive by the end of this. 

Speaking of sons, I wonder if Derek is Jared's biological father? He's giving me "reluctant stepfather" energy, but it could be "I don't actually like my kid" energy.  We shall see.     

Also interested in the Guyana crime syndicate angle.  Clarence flew to NY just to connect with Jeff, so whatever this vengeance was about, Clarence had a long(ish) game in mind. But he's dead (not yet convinced it was natural causes), and Savi thinks balance has been restored to the universe.  Oh honey, if only you knew. 

I'm not clear why Harmony and USPS would be investigating - I assume there is some kind of mail fraud involved with the insurance scam?

When the camera work gets dodgy, it gives me motion sickness.  I’ve only just started the second episode.  

I think I’m going to have to watch the first episode again, because I was confused, and definitely didn’t give it my full attention. 

• Like 1
On 7/20/2023 at 11:56 PM, Anela said:

I think I’m going to have to watch the first episode again, because I was confused, and definitely didn’t give it my full attention. 

I'm not going to lie - I paid attention and I was still confused. Honestly, I made it to the end and then read a recap and there were things I STILL had not understood until the recap.

• Like 2