Type keyword(s) to search

Arnold

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Netflix 4-part docuseries on Arnold Schwarzenegger. It follows Schwarzenegger's multifaceted life and career, from bodybuilding champ to Hollywood icon to politician. Premieres June 7

• Like 1

Just watched part one. Better than I thought.  I find it amazing how some people are so very driven even having awful childhoods. And some of us wind up with cptsd. Very interesting how the deaths of his brother & father (didn’t) affect him and his attitude toward it. While I don’t like how he doesn’t seem to understand trauma or depression, I can see that he was born with a certain mindset. The brain & mental health is fascinating.  
He explains his life journey well. Looking forward to part 2. 

• Like 3

Actually binged-watched the entire series today.  Surprisingly, I liked it.  Im 56 and I admit I neither like or dislike him.  I was never into body building (his body was sick - in a good way) and his movies weren't my thing back in the day, BUT I admire anyone who had the self discipline and worked hard to make something of himself.   He definitely is not a stupid guy.  He did not have a happy childhood and was physically abused. I think he was/is cocky and arrogant but he came to new country, educated himself and became governor of CA!    He really embarrassed his wife and children, but seems to regret that immensely.  But I agree with the post above, he seems to lack empathy and can easily block things out.   

• Like 3

I binged watched this while finishing up some work last night. I wouldn’t say I am a fan of Arnold’s but I’ve enjoyed many of his movies mainly because of the genres and the plots were good.

Never was a fan of his body. Yes his body was amazing, but at the same time too much.  I was surprised he didn’t talk about his steroid usage during his body building days. It was obvious that he was using as all serious bodybuilders use. That’s the only way they can obtain so much muscle mass and perfect bodies. As I understand he admitted his usage in the past. So again, surprising he didn’t mention it here unless I missed it  

I thought it was obvious how much he loves America. His approach to politics was refreshing.

Interesting though how the sexual harassment and assault accusations against him were a scandal but didn’t tank his campaign, maybe because there was such a short period between campaigning and the election. I believe the story officially came out only a month before the election. Also, it was a different time. #Me Too had not happened. Perhaps if he ran a few years later there would have been issues but then again maybe not considering other elected officials have been elected with those types of allegations hanging over their heads. I do find it kind of surprising that he hasn’t been cancelled due to those past allegations. 

Observation, did I see Grace Jones at his wedding reception? Grace partying with the Kennedys is an interesting combination. 😂 

I can see why Maria was suspicious about Joseph being Arnold’s son. He looks EXACTLY like a young Arnold. 

My take away, Arnold is an extremely driven guy who has the natural ability to lock away what many would deem as trauma and focus on the positive and being successful. Perhaps his motto of keep moving forward, keep busy, be useful is his way of dealing with the abuse he suffered as a child without even realizing it.  I got the impression that he was not close to his brother or dad which is why their deaths seemed to have minimal impact on him. He is an intelligent man who seems to admit his mistakes and strives to be a good person. He has certainly had an extraordinary life. I liked how he didn’t take credit for being self made and pointed out that he had a lot of help in reaching success.

I enjoyed this.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 6/15/2023 at 5:27 AM, Enero said:

As I understand he admitted his usage in the past. So again, surprising he didn’t mention it here unless I missed it  

He did mention it very briefly.  He said something to the effect of using it up until 3 months before a competition and that everyone did this at the time.

I agree with the rest of your thoughts on the show, although I haven't watched the third episode yet.  I found him to be extremely likable and enjoyed the show way more than I thought I would.  He has a great work ethic.

• Like 4

Always had a soft spot in my heart for the guy. Saw him skiing a few times at Aspen I especially liked him because he was waiting in the regular lift line mid way up Ajax. Another time he walked by and our eyes connected and we both smiled at each other.

• Like 1

I also enjoyed this.  The funniest line in the whole show was when he was talking about how the lead role in The Terminator came down to him and OJ Simpson. Arnold got it because he said the producers didn't see OJ as a killer!😁

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
On 6/20/2023 at 5:58 AM, HerkyJerky said:

I also enjoyed this.  The funniest line in the whole show was when he was talking about how the lead role in The Terminator came down to him and OJ Simpson. Arnold got it because he said the producers didn't see OJ as a killer!😁

And for just about all the other Terminators on TV and the movies even OJ would have been a bigger more athletic seeming killing machine than what came 

• Like 1