Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E17: Live Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

The top five artists perform a ballad and an up-tempo song in front of coaches Chance the Rapper, Kelly Clarkson, Niall Horan and Blake Shelton to compete for the title of The Voice.

Airs May 22 at 8pm on NBC

Favorite performances:

Noivas - 1st song

D. Smooth - 2nd song

Gina - 2nd song

Guest artist Alex Newell was incredible. I’ve liked him since Glee. I’ve been hearing good things about him in “Shucked”

Tonight’s performances were pretty mixed for me. Some were good, some really good, some meh. Noivas’ 2nd song felt like the music overpowered his voice and I usually like his performances

I’m rooting for Gina or D. Smooth for the win. D. Smooth wasn’t even on my radar at first but he’s won me over. He seems very professional and natural up there. 
Nothing Compares 2 U was a great song choice for Gina. She’s good at those slow moody songs. 

• Like 1

Everyone sounded terrible. The inclusion of the professionals just made them all even worse in comparison.

Alex Newell actually first appeared in the Glee Project. Ryan Murphy just cast anyone he liked onto Glee regardless of the official winners and several went on to be more successful than the winners, including Ali Stroker. I didn't watch Glee but the two seasons of the Glee Project may be the finest reality talent competition ever produced by American television. 

• Like 1

I thought both Grace, & D Smooth probably saved their best two performances (each!) for the finale. Particularly each of their second songs. If you would've based your opinion on Grace solely on her blind and battle performances you would've never realized what a strong/powerful voice she has. As for D Smooth he lived up to his moniker and then some. And this wasn't the first time Kelly wanted to point out that he had a strong hand in the arrangement/production of what we got to see on stage.

I thought NOIVAS did his NOIVAS thing on his first song, but he got overwhelmed on the 2nd song. Partially by Bandzilla, but partially because his voice just failed him when he went for a few spectacular moments throughout that song (Chris Stapleton's Cold).

Sorelle was good to very good on each song, but I'm not sure they quite matched a couple of their high's from earlier in the season. Certain times, when it's just one of the two blond sisters singing by herself the sound gets kind of reedy. Moving forward, I believe the Brunette sister (Bella?) should carry a lot of the heavy lifting outside of them singing in unison/harmony..

Gina, IMO has a real chance to be the first non-country person (depending on your perspective of Jordan Smith's "success") who won't instantly disappear once the show is over. She was really good on Style, & pretty spectacular on Nothing Compares 2 U. She absolutely has that thing where if you heard a song of hers coming on the radio you would be able to identify it's her in less than 5 seconds. I just don't know whether Niall is in a leverage-able position to advocate strongly for her career with a music label of his own or a music label that he has some sort of "in" with.

I do also wonder if Blake taking two into the finale this season might actually work against him, in this final season of his. Because again IMO, I don't think NOIVAS can realistically win & simultaneously I feel like Grace needs all the votes she can get to potentially take down Sorelle or Gina..

• Like 1

First of all, why is Reba getting the credit for "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" when singer/actress Vicky Lawrence released this song in the 70's?  I know Reba did the "cover" back in 1991, but still they should give credit where credit is due.

Gina sings well is a very attractive young woman.  I think her looks alone will get her the win.  However, one thing I don't like about Gina's singing is her "voice thing" she does.  I guess it's her falsetto voice?  In fact, Blake had suggested to Grace West to use your regular voice in "TNTLWOIGeorgia" and not her falsetto.

I see Gina, Sorelle and Smooth making the top 3

• Like 2
13 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I thought NOIVAS did his NOIVAS thing on his first song, but he got overwhelmed on the 2nd song. Partially by Bandzilla, but partially because his voice just failed him when he went for a few spectacular moments throughout that song (Chris Stapleton's Cold).

NOIVAS may have gotten a little overwhelmed, but on second watch, he sounded better (To me), but I’ve been pushing for him from the start, and when the guitar player went “wheedly, wheedly, wee!” it was a winner in my book.

Blake said it best, <Probable misquote> “It took an hour, but the finale finally got started…”

• Like 1