Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Or at the High School Dance...

• Start Topic

It's crazy that Susan was right and her mother should have listened to her. Part of her pitch to the adults was that if the "bad kids" are at the dance, they will not be causing bigger problems elsewhere. The fight at the Frosty Palace quickly escalated, drew in more people, and just became massive. It started off about one thing but turned into being about almost everything, and would not have happened if the Pink Ladies and T-Birds had been allowed inside the gym from the start.  

This episode was also all about romance/relationships, and so many love triangles. The way Richie and Jane looked at each at the Frosty Palace, and the brief conversation they had before Johnny Va-Voom showed up convinved me they are end game and there is no question in my mind they are meant to be together.

I am also rooting for Nancy and Potato. They make a cute couple. I'm not sure how I feel about Hazel and Wally, but I really enjoyed "The Land Don’t Look So Bad." The music was wonderful and the dancing reminded me of "Singin' In the Rain" and "A Lovely Night" (from La La Land, and I know that song and dance number was referencing an earlier movie, I'm just blanking on what, but I think it was something with Fred Astaire). 

I am not sure how I feel about Gil and Olivia. He has a real crush on her, but I don't think she feels the same away about him. She likes him, but not nearly as much as he likes her. I can understand Olivia having a crush on Mr. Daniels, but acting on it is wrong. I know it's the 50s, but I can't believe Mr. Daniels doesn't have the sense to know better and realize this is a horrible idea in so many ways on so many levels.

Until this episode, I thought there was a slim sliver chance that Cynthia might be bisexual and that there was hope for Shy Guy and Cynthia, but after this episode that ship is totally sunk. Lydia was just awful to Cynthia. Cynthia was mad at herself which makes sense because it is the 50s. She could get away with being a tomboy. The adults would think "It's a phase/she'll grow out it/it's probably harmless" but she knows that being a lesbian crosses a line and if the wrong people knew, would mark her and place her outside society. She tries to prove to herself and to Lydia that she isn't a lesbian, and deeply hurt Shy Guy in the process. It was clear there was nothing when she kissed him, and Shy Guy knew something was wrong/off, but didn't a have clue what it was. She was angry and in pain and clearly took out on Shy Guy when he rejected her very definitely unwanted advances with her comment about "if you were a real man, you'd like it." It's projecting/deflecting. 

Cynthia's yellow dress was awful, but I think that was by design.

Also, are we ever going to see or hear anything about Cynthia's parents or the relatives she lives with? I'm not sure if we've seen Shy Guy's parents yet, but at least we have some idea of who they are. We know that both are still alive, that his mother is Mexican, his father is Jewish, and his father is forcing him to box. Cynthia's home life is an almost complete unknown, other than the fact we have never seen another adult at her apartment or heard her mention parents or an adult she lives with. 

• Like 1
(edited)

So, it looks like Susan had an abortion.  What a great mom to hold it over her head.  Poor buddy is just spiraling.

we’ve seen an adult at Cynthia’s house, one of the first episodes. They were both sitting on the couch drinking. I think her dad, he was in like a mechanics shirt.  Also noticed she doesn’t shave

No Olivia!!! She looked so happy with Gil.  Did buddy get arrested too?

Edited by Riplet68

SEND. MR. DANIELS. TO. JAIL. 

jail for predator! Jail for predator for 100 years! 

I really loved Hazel and Wally’s duet! I’ve loved all of her songs. I laughed at her creating the hand jive, too! What an icon! 

Nancy and Cynthia’s duet was very cute too. Nancy has had the least songs so far, but she’s my favourite character. She’s so weird and I genuinely see myself in her a little bit  

I love how they do the frosty palace scenes, like they’re all one shot, and everything moves so well, its like a dance scene in itself. 

Olivia giving up her jacket was heartbreaking: she was the one who was convinced they’d stay together after the election, and I think she needs them more than she realizes. 

More and more, i feel bad for Susan.

• Like 3
On 5/18/2023 at 11:07 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Until this episode, I thought there was a slim sliver chance that Cynthia might be bisexual and that there was hope for Shy Guy and Cynthia, but after this episode that ship is totally sunk. Lydia was just awful to Cynthia. Cynthia was mad at herself which makes sense because it is the 50s. She could get away with being a tomboy. The adults would think "It's a phase/she'll grow out it/it's probably harmless" but she knows that being a lesbian crosses a line and if the wrong people knew, would mark her and place her outside society. She tries to prove to herself and to Lydia that she isn't a lesbian, and deeply hurt Shy Guy in the process. It was clear there was nothing when she kissed him, and Shy Guy knew something was wrong/off, but didn't a have clue what it was. She was angry and in pain and clearly took out on Shy Guy when he rejected her very definitely unwanted advances with her comment about "if you were a real man, you'd like it." It's projecting/deflecting. 

I’m wondering if Shy Guy is also gay. He seemed interested in Cynthia early on, but that’s when she was still dressing very tomboyish and trying to act/look like one of the T-Birds. He may not even have figured it out himself yet.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Irish Mermaid said:

I’m wondering if Shy Guy is also gay. He seemed interested in Cynthia early on, but that’s when she was still dressing very tomboyish and trying to act/look like one of the T-Birds. He may not even have figured it out himself yet.

Until you mentioned this, it had never occured to me that Shy Guy might be gay. You brought up an excellent point/possibility. In that time and place, people became aware of thier sexuality and came out (at least to themselves) much later than they do today, so the idea that Shy Guy (if he is gay) hadn't figured it out yet makes perfect sense. Yes, he was attracted to a girl (which would be proof to himself that he isn't gay, because he was attracted to a girl), but the fact that the girl is a tomboy who wants more than anything to be one of the guys and looks and acts like it is some evidence for your theory. 

• Like 1
On 5/20/2023 at 11:34 PM, Irish Mermaid said:

As soon they showed him looking bewildered/not exactly happy about her in a dress, I figured that's where they would end up going. I wanted them to do Shy Guy/Cynthia because it would have been a little different.