Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E16: The Voice Live Semi-Final Top 8 Performances

• Start Topic

The top 8 artists perform live for the first time in front of coaches Chance, Kelly, Niall and Blake for their chance at a spot in the finale; viewers vote for their favorite artist in real time with the results revealed at the end of the show.

Airs May 15 at 8pm on NBC

Well all the coaches got a finalist and Blake gets two. Pretty typical spread. I do love the trio but I can’t get beyond how that seems an unfair advantage. And still at this point in the show I cannot remember any of their names. 

• Like 3

I may be the only one, but I just didn't enjoy the sound of the trio last night.  Their voices/harmonies seemed sharp to me.  I still maintain the title is The Voice NOT The Voices so it should only feature solo acts.  I think groups have that advantage of being able to harmonize and take advantage of more than one range, melodic part, etc.  

Interesting that Reba will be replacing Blake (at least for next season)-I'm surprised that they got such a big name to take his place.

• Like 3

The trio wasn't that great tonight but their performance last week was really good. So perhaps it's the type of song or arrangement.

Hoping people don't just vote for Blake's team because it's his last season.

I think Reba McEntire was available for several reasons.  First, her primetime ABC show called Big Sky was just cancelled.  Second, she and in November 2022 that she had to cancel her upcoming concert tour scheduled for this year due to vocal chord problems.  She needed vocal rest (a common occurrence among singers who work constantly) but I haven't found any information on when/if her tour is set to resume anytime this year.  Third,  The Voice needed a coach specializing in country music to take up the mantel from Blake.  The popularity of country music is evident due to the number of singers who have either won The Voice or finished in the top five.  I believe that Grace from team Blake will probably win this year's contest, although I don't know how much of the audience vote reflects admiration for Blake and wanting him to be victorious in his final season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Favorite performances:

Holly

Noivas

Gina

Sorelle

D. Smooth

Grace

I thought it was a pretty good night and I felt there were no bad performances. Noivas is my favorite to win or get Top 2

Made the Finals: Grace, D. Smooth, Gina, Sorelle, Noivas

I too don’t think groups should compete with solos. I also don’t like how the public voting was done. There should have been a night of voting allowed but the shows seems to really be rushing to the end. I hope they don’t repeat this kind of voting 

Edited by DanaK