Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Episode Six

• Start Topic

(Season Finale)
6482817c-165d-4b69-b690-880d1cc1c1c2?bas
As Pip and Jaggers’ plans come to a head, Miss Havisham finally comes face to face with her demons and Estella at last tries to break free after a family revelation.

Airdate: April 23, 2023       Hulu   

While I've watched the entire series and found - for the most part - that it refreshed my high school memories of reading this novel.  But, in total, I think the vagaries of this adaptation necessitate calling it,  "Great Expectationsish."

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I think I liked the South Park adaptation of this more and from what people are saying, it was more accurate to the books. "He's 17 and has a car!"

I'd watch Olivia Coleman act out a newspaper (please god let her be the next next doctor) and there were some other great actors with great performances in this, but the story or how it was presented, was rather "meh".  Maybe it would have been better as 4 episodes rather than 6. The first 5 episodes dragged pretty hard, only for everything to happen in the last one.

Who could have seen that Jaggers letting Compeyson go would end up biting them in the ass? He doesn't seem that dumb. He should have shot him right there.

Speaking of Jaggers, making him gay and at least kind of a good man is nice and all, but you really need to work a little harder for the representation brownie points there, than a half sentence hinting at something, if you really want them.

They really didn't plan for the ship sinking before it took on illegal cargo? What an asinine kind of plan was that?

So is it supposed to be a happy ending that Pip married somebody he doesn't love? Seems weird. I mean with everything else, the simple life being enough, fine. But a marriage of convenience? Seems like the one luxury that would be afforded to you in these circumstances would be marrying for love.

Are all these coincidences, where everybody is somehow coincidentally entangled with everybody else, also in the book? I hope not, because that turned me off quite a bit.

• Like 2
On 4/28/2023 at 11:38 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

So is it supposed to be a happy ending that Pip married somebody he doesn't love? Seems weird. I mean with everything else, the simple life being enough, fine. But a marriage of convenience? Seems like the one luxury that would be afforded to you in these circumstances would be marrying for love.

Spoiler

Pip doesn't marry Biddy in the book...she actually marries Joe after his wife (Pip's sister) dies. He goes off to work abroad and leads a life and eventually, in the end, after Estella has also gone through some stuff (she really does marry someone else, who abuses her), they wind up back in the same place at the end and it's left a bit open whether they get together, but they probably do.

*Spoiler tagged since we don't have a book thread.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 4/28/2023 at 8:38 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

No, Pip married for love. I think once he accepted that Estella was never going to love him, he was able to move on and really appreciate Biddy. Biddy had made clear that she wasn't going to just be the second choice, so her agreeing to marry him shows that he was in love with her by then. I think the way he looks at her, and kisses her, and what he says to her in French all support that.

Book spoiler of sorts: 

Spoiler

Dickens wrote two endings, actually - the published ending where Pip gets Estella, and one where he does not. I had a feeling, as the series went on, that the writers were going to choose the second ending.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:38 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Are all these coincidences, where everybody is somehow coincidentally entangled with everybody else, also in the book? I hope not, because that turned me off quite a bit.

Yes. It's very Dickensian. So his novels may not be for you!

• Like 3

So Pip leaves Mordor behind, goes back to the shire and marries Rosie Cotton.   Why not.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:38 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Speaking of Jaggers, making him gay and at least kind of a good man is nice and all, but you really need to work a little harder for the representation brownie points there, than a half sentence hinting at something, if you really want them.

Jaggers was gay?

In the final scene I got the impression he might hook up with Estella.   Pip told her, "You need to marry your equal.  Another exile from the human race."   Jaggers is all that.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, millennium said:

Jaggers was gay?

Yes, blink and you miss it suggestions.

Jaggers to Pip: "And as for me going to Molly's bed at night... Well... As an innocent boy from the marshes, you have not realized the truth about me. And never shall you hear it from my lips."

Also earlier there was a bit of a suggestion, that he might know the ship captain, who tried to rape Pip a bit more personally. Though I didn't get the impression that he knew that the captain would go that far.

1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Jaggers to Pip: "And as for me going to Molly's bed at night... Well... As an innocent boy from the marshes, you have not realized the truth about me. And never shall you hear it from my lips."

You're probably right.   I thought he was just being enigmatic.  But in retrospect, it does seem the dialogue was shoehorned in there for a reason.   It seemed inappropriate for Pip to introduce that question in the first place, but if it was to tee up Jaggers' answer then it makes sense.

1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Also earlier there was a bit of a suggestion, that he might know the ship captain, who tried to rape Pip a bit more personally.

In this instance, I thought they were implying that Jaggers knew everyone's secret vices because he has finger on the pulse of the London underground.

• Like 1