Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Tim & Te Jay

• Start Topic

I remember liking Nary & Jaime (as usual, I tend to like the underdogs)... I do think overall, they were more competent than T&T, though.  I don't remember them getting lost as often (not that I can remember any specifics), and they seemed to have the smarts going for them.

The only way T&T could survive is if they really luck out, or there is a task that really plays to their skills (but as we have discussed, I'm not sure there's anything that would fall into that category).  In most seasons, there are strong teams which have major conflict issues which end up costing them, and allowing middling teams to squeak through, but this is definitely not the case with the teams that are left.  The Bikers, the Dentists and the Surfers almost never argue with their teammates.  Even the Wrestlers, with Brooke's constant whining and being frustrated, would power through a muscular challenge while T&T limp their way through.  I'll still root for them, but it's not looking good.  

I can't agree with Nary & Jamie being more competent than Tim & Te Jay.  For one thing, Nary & Jamie's highest finish was fourth (on the first leg of TAR20).  Tim & Te Jay have at least cracked the top three twice (second on leg one, third on leg five).  Nary & Jamie didn't do it even once.

As for the other teams . . . interesting how Amy & Maya never got mentioned in there, Camera One.

• Love 6

I don't remember that season too well... I don't know why Nary and Jaime gave me the impression of being stronger than they were.

Why didn't I mention Amy & Maya?  I really like them but I was mostly discussing the powerhouse teams this season, The Bikers, the Dentists and the Surfers... the ones who are always contenders for #1, and how in most seasons, some of those top contenders tend to bicker and it's not the case for those top teams this year. 

• Love 3

Aw.  Too bad.  They really did have a shot at keeping up when they finished the trays quickly and got in the first group heading out to the Roadblock, and Tim even finished it fast.  But they missed their Speed Bump and the Detour clue, probably struggled with trying to find their Speed Bump, and stubbornly stayed at what was clearly the wrong Detour for them.  They should've switched quickly and gone to Shine.  If they had, they'd probably still be in, and Brooke & Robbie would be gone.

But this is just what I thought.  They had no real benefits to help them get through the race.  No huge edges to help them.  They merely had no flaws, making them a middling team, at best, and cannon fodder, at worst.

Sorry to see you go, boys, but you brought this one on yourselves.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 6

I do think they'd hit their particular wall, though I did hope they could take better advantage of Brooke and Robbie's cab luck. I agree with your evaluation, Donny, in that they were decent racers but had no particular strength or advantage they could look to. They were nice, warm, enthusiastic young men who didn't seem to make any enemies and enjoyed the experience, for the most part. I also thought their exit was classy.

• Love 7

It was one of those cases where stubbornly sticking with a task and continuing to try didn't help, and switching was necessary (especially since Tim was clearly scared to run fast for the end... I wonder if Te Jay could have done it, but of course, it's easier to say what needs to be done than doing it).  Unfortunately, it was telling that no one was successful on Flag, not even the competent Bikers.  The main cause of the loss was due to detour choice, and failure on a virtually impossible task, so I wouldn't say it was one of those legs where the losing team blatantly caused it themselves.  If there hadn't been an overnight break between the Knights task and the Boats/Grotto, they could possibly have stayed in it, and ditto had they taken the 50/50 and gone for Shine instead of Flag.  Although they made the mistake of going directly to the detour, they did figure it out before the Dentists.  

Still, I didn't expect them to stay much longer on the race, and sadly at this point, it was either them, the Scientists or the Wrestlers.  I hope the Scientists stay on it for a few more weeks, since I was mainly watching for them and T&T.  I like most of the other teams as well, but I tend to cheer for the underdogs, and it's usually at this point in the season when it becomes disappointing to watch.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
I wonder if Te Jay could have done it, but of course, it's easier to say what needs to be done than doing it

The instructions said that each teammate had to get one flag. That's why Kym had to run over and over to try for the red flag as well. I wonder if anyone would have been capable of getting that red flag so far out on the pole.

Still, sorry to see this team go. They weren't the strongest team, but they were cute and likeable and nice to each other. Te Jay's little "ouch" at their elimination was heartbreaking.

Edited by Chyna
  • Love 3

And, neither of the teams thought about getting the further flag first. I'm not saying anyone could have done it but both teams just automatically grabbed the nearest flag. Personally, I would have gave up after the first try. LOL!!!

But this is just what I thought.  They had no real benefits to help them get through the race.  No huge edges to help them.  They merely had no flaws, making them a middling team, at best, and cannon fodder, at worst.

Yeah, they had very little chance of winning unless the race magically started playing to strengths that only they had (e.g. languages, knowledge) or they got extremely lucky (e.g. finding something in a maze that everyone else struggled with). They seemed relatively nice but I'm not torn up about them leaving aside from my growing dislike of Brooke and Robbie.

It was one of those cases where stubbornly sticking with a task and continuing to try didn't help, and switching was necessary (especially since Tim was clearly scared to run fast for the end... I wonder if Te Jay could have done it, but of course, it's easier to say what needs to be done than doing it).  Unfortunately, it was telling that no one was successful on Flag, not even the competent Bikers.

That was frustrating to watch. I think he might have been physically capable of the task as he got close a couple of times but there was always that hesitation, plus his growing fatigue. I think the cyclists might have managed it if they'd switched things around and not made the one afraid of heights go for the red flag.

• Love 1

From both the Cyclist and T&T's exit interviews, it looks like they both made the same error, with the first person trying the task thinking they might as well grab a closer flag as they were falling.  Then realizing that they would not have the chance to try at the other flag.  

If T&T had switched to Shine earlier, the Wrestlers would have been out instead.  I wonder how Leg 9 would have changed.  Amy and Maya would be less likely to be screwed over, but due to the FF, probably the same result would have occurred in terms of who was eliminated, assuming T&T also caught the earlier flight.  But who knows, since one little change could have resulted in events which could have changed the whole outcome!

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1