Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Human Enigma

jenrising
  • Start Topic

Mason Kane and Nadia Sinh – top agents of the independent spy organization Citadel – collide with a nefarious, new syndicate – Manticore – leading to catastrophe. Eight years later, Mason Kane is living a quiet life as “Kyle Conroy,” with no memory of his past. Until one day an old colleague enlists his help to stop a now powerful Manticore from creating a new world order.

If the twin brother Manticore agents can find and recover the Xbox just from being told it's in a CIA black site in Miami, I'm surprised Manticore couldn't find the King of the North recuperating in an Italian hospital given that one of Manticore's founders is from Italy and given that stories like "American Survivor of Huge Italian Train Explosion Suffers Amnesia" tend to show up in n the news.

I mean Manticore couldn't even track Robb Stark down in 8 years when there's probably 1 person on Earth named Kyle Conroy who is American, who survived the train explosion and for whom there's no records of prior to the train explosion (according to the doctor in the Italian hospital, helpfully passing along what the American consulate said). Yet somehow Manticore wiped out Citadel (thousands of agents).

Speaking of Citadel, if they've been around for a hundred years fighting the good fight, they need to up their game because they really sucked. 

It was a little much when Stanley Tucci said nefarious unironically, and his obvious exposition dump was obvious. And please, no more therapy scenes.

That said, I appreciate that the show isn't taking things too seriously. It makes it easier to enjoy in contrast to something like The Diplomat, which is equally implausible but wants to veer back and forth between serious and snarky. One is enjoyably stupid, the other is just stupid.

• Like 3

Watched the first episode, and I really enjoyed it.  It started off great from the start with that beautiful train.  Is that an actual train or was it made for the show?  Looked very futuristic.  I loved the floor to roof windows giving views of the alps.  Loved the fight on the train.

I'll admit that I was skeptical about Priyanka Chopra Jonas being in this, but I determined that is because I thoroughly hated her Mary Sue special snowflake character on "Quantico".  

Richard Madden is great in everything he does.  I do wish he had been able to keep his natural Scottish accent, which I heard slip through at least once.  His American accent sounds off.  If Priyanka is allowed to keep her natural accent, why couldn't he keep his?  Isn't Citadel supposed to be a global network with agents from all over the world?  Why did his character necessarily have to be American?  

On 4/28/2023 at 11:37 PM, Constantinople said:

If the twin brother Manticore agents can find and recover the Xbox just from being told it's in a CIA black site in Miami, I'm surprised Manticore couldn't find the King of the North recuperating in an Italian hospital given that one of Manticore's founders is from Italy and given that stories like "American Survivor of Huge Italian Train Explosion Suffers Amnesia" tend to show up in n the news.

I mean Manticore couldn't even track Robb Stark down in 8 years when there's probably 1 person on Earth named Kyle Conroy who is American, who survived the train explosion and for whom there's no records of prior to the train explosion (according to the doctor in the Italian hospital, helpfully passing along what the American consulate said). Yet somehow Manticore wiped out Citadel (thousands of agents).

Kyle Conroy is the alias that Stanely Tucci gave him.  His real name is Mason Kane.  I don't think anyone is looking for him.  I would think that Citadel scrubbed any mention in the media of survivors, so it's quite possible that Manticore doesn't even know that he is alive.  And even Stanley doesn't know that Nadia is alive.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Kyle Conroy is the alias that Stanely Tucci gave him.  His real name is Mason Kane.  I don't think anyone is looking for him.  I would think that Citadel scrubbed any mention in the media of survivors, so it's quite possible that Manticore doesn't even know that he is alive.  And even Stanley doesn't know that Nadia is alive.

Kyle Conroy is the name he was called in the hospital and the name that he's been living under for 8 years. He looks exactly like Mason Kane, who Manticore knows was on the train, is known to be a survivor of the train and is in a hospital near the train explosion. Yet for some reason Manticore can't figure it out?

I think it would be difficult for Citadel to scrub the media of survivors since the entire network was destroyed and now consists of one guy in Wyoming. Moreover, there's nothing preventing Manticore from checking hospitals for recent admissions.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Richard Madden is great in everything he does.  I do wish he had been able to keep his natural Scottish accent, which I heard slip through at least once.  His American accent sounds off.  If Priyanka is allowed to keep her natural accent, why couldn't he keep his?  Isn't Citadel supposed to be a global network with agents from all over the world?  Why did his character necessarily have to be American?  

My guess is that they thought a primarily American audience would relate better to an American lead character. This way, you get the Brits to watch because he’s Richard Madden and a lot of Americans watch because he’s playing an American.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:23 PM, blackwing said:

I'll admit that I was skeptical about Priyanka Chopra Jonas being in this, but I determined that is because I thoroughly hated her Mary Sue special snowflake character on "Quantico".  

See to me this is feels very much like Quantico - the sequel. In her initial scenes she still feels to be falling into the cocky special snowflake, standout agent, pick me, I’m not like the other girls character.

I thought it odd that it was "eight years later" and his daughter looked AT LEAST 8 yrs old. So he either met and impregnated his wife RIGHT after his accident or maybe she is his stepdaughter?

Since the Kyle/Mason is married with a kid, I REALLY hope the two leads do NOT get together. Which will probably happen since that is a common trope. But I'll feel bad for his wife when it happens. Unless his wife is evil, since that is another common trope.