Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: Genesis

• Start Topic

Always great seeing Debbie Allen. Though it wasn’t made clear what made Charice just take the baby for a walk and not tell anyone and not take her phone with her. It’s suggesting to me something could be wrong with her

• Like 1
(edited)

letter-d.jpg

Well that was...an episode.

I mean, the case was slightly interesting in that the criminals had a bigger motivation than the usual gang-bangers and drug runners that are on this show, and good on the show to acknowledge that, sometimes, criminals may actually have good intentions.

Oh, and I guess props to the writer for not having the usual hostage situation with the jeweler's apprentice.

Still doesn't help elevate this episode much beyond what was a rudimentary case. At this stage, it doesn't feel like the writers are even trying anymore- they've settled in to a "plug and play" formula except that they're just a little too comfortable in this setup.

As for the baby storyline...they sound like they resolved everything with that final chat (and good on Hondo for seeing that he was being too hard on his own mother) but they left behind that gaping plot hole about what, exactly, Charice was doing with the baby. I mean, Hondo and Nichelle didn't even ask. Was a scene cut or something?

The few positives were Hicks finally getting the courage to ask Maggie out on a date and Tan having Street's back concerning his old high school buddy, which was nicely woven into the episode.

Still...ho hum.

Edited by Danielg342
(edited)

Debbie Allen returns with a better wig! And we get a STRIS mention too, a treat to their fans.

Logically, Hondo Sr is supposed to come and meet baby V as well since both Charice and him were on a trip together.

I have no idea why the writers decided to name Hondo’s baby based on Debbie Allen’s mom. Coincidence??

Street and Tan strengthen their bromance, good for them! Street is so vanilla since S4 onwards, I don’t really pay attention to him anymore.

Ehh, I thought Hicks is dating Rebecca Cates, the lab lady from the stolen DNA kits episode (S02•E10).

I love nosy and shamelessly poised Deacon! 😆

“Look, I may have overstepped earlier. So, why not go all in, and overstep again.”

One thing that I don’t really understand re the COTW. Juliet removes all the 5 precious stones from the Koran’s cover and simply gives all to Mr. Harris for him to launch the Five Senses Collection? Street’s theory about Juliet wanting to impress her boss doesn’t make sense to me. If she sells those jewels to him, with all the money, why is she still working as an apprentice?

Zoe Powell has the best line:

“Your ex is dead, your boss is dead. Your choices matter. Remember that.”

Again, where’s Luca? With one man down, why Alexis Cabrera isn’t covering his shift?

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
On 4/7/2023 at 9:07 PM, DanaK said:

Always great seeing Debbie Allen. Though it wasn’t made clear what made Charice just take the baby for a walk and not tell anyone and not take her phone with her. It’s suggesting to me something could be wrong with her

And she was gone long enough for Nichelle to worry, call Hondo, he worried for a while and then goes home.  Exactly how long was she gone with no phone, no stroller and no diaper bag?  Yet Hondo and Nichelle are in the wrong for questioning her?   I suppose he could have been quieter about yelling at her, but she deserved it. 

Street's story with his old friend was probably the most interesting part of this episode. 

On another note, I live in L.A. and always like to figure out where they filmed something. I saw a business in the background and thought it looked familiar. It's in the San Fernando Valley, far away from Beverly Hills.

I guess Mom taking the baby out for a long walk was totally normal, and they were supposed to be seen as overreacting, which is interesting. 

On 5/29/2023 at 12:31 AM, Sweet Tooth said:

I guess Mom taking the baby out for a long walk was totally normal, and they were supposed to be seen as overreacting, which is interesting. 

Spoiler

Weird that there was no resolution to that if it was supposed to be something other than an overreaction 

I honestly believe someone made a mistake in the editing room, because everything resolved without an explanation. Without warning, Hondo and Nichelle go from being absolutely terrified out of their minds about what is happening to both Charice and Vivian to Hondo being extremely apologetic with Charice over how strong his tone was with her. If what Charice was doing was "normal", the characters had an odd way of showing that. I mean, Hondo and Nichelle reacted like Charice had kidnapped Vivian, but then, later that day everyone's offering only the most basic of apologies and everything is OK?

Something is missing.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:30 PM, Danielg342 said:

I honestly believe someone made a mistake in the editing room, because everything resolved without an explanation. Without warning, Hondo and Nichelle go from being absolutely terrified out of their minds about what is happening to both Charice and Vivian to Hondo being extremely apologetic with Charice over how strong his tone was with her. If what Charice was doing was "normal", the characters had an odd way of showing that. I mean, Hondo and Nichelle reacted like Charice had kidnapped Vivian, but then, later that day everyone's offering only the most basic of apologies and everything is OK?

Something is missing.

I really believe that this was a mistake in the writing.

They honestly tried to depict Hondo and Nichelle as nervous new parents, completely overreacting to Grandma just taking her grandbaby for a walk. 

The problem is, they had her going out without her phone, completely incommunicado. The fact that nobody mentioned the length of time she was gone or that she left without any way for people to get in touch with her, tells me that the writers hadn't even considered just how bananas that was.

They could have had a much more innocuous situation, but instead they chose this. I firmly believe that the reason her behavior wasn't addressed, is because the writers were convinced this was normal behavior, and Hondo and Nichelle needed to calm down.