Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: Long Lost

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A shocking ambush at a funeral leads the team into a heated investigation to find the shooters. Much to Atwater's surprise, he must rely on someone from his past to help in the investigation, dredging up old memories and revealing new truths.

Airdate: 01/11/2023

• Like 1

As Atwater episodes are amongst the best. This time they went personal with Atwater and highlighted his backstory. His father came off as kind of cold, he had no intention of contacting Kev at all let alone having a conversation. I mean I sought of understood his examination at the end but damn that's still your kid I would think he would at least make the attempt. Poor kev spent the episode trying to play it off but you could tell how much it affected him as t was written all over his face. Laroyce is a great actor. I love that Kev was still the bigger man and offered his father a place to stay because at the end of the day that's still his father. I also like how both Burgess and Ruzek was there for Kev which is not the norm but it was a nice change of pace. 

• Like 1

Really Chicago PD?  Are there so few Black actors in Hollywood that you had to recycle a former guest star as Atwater’s father?  And I’m terrible at remembering faces.  For those who don’t remember, the actor was “Big Homie” (as Atwater called him) in the episode where he and Ruzek went undercover in prison to catch the uncle who ordered the killing of the little girl witness who was going to testify against his basketball star nephew.  One of my least favorite episodes.  Maybe that’s why I recognized him right away 😂. Anyway, that kind of took me right out of the story.

1 hour ago, jalady said:

Really Chicago PD?  Are there so few Black actors in Hollywood that you had to recycle a former guest star as Atwater’s father?  And I’m terrible at remembering faces.  For those who don’t remember, the actor was “Big Homie” (as Atwater called him) in the episode where he and Ruzek went undercover in prison to catch the uncle who ordered the killing of the little girl witness who was going to testify against his basketball star nephew.  One of my least favorite episodes.  Maybe that’s why I recognized him right away 😂. Anyway, that kind of took me right out of the story.

These show long running shows do this a lot. Law and Order has a long history of recycling actors. 

• Like 1

Maybe my standards are very high because it's an Atwater episode, but this one did not touch me as all his others have. 

The case was so clearly an afterthought. Since when do you know Intelligence to not solve a case? And to just be so okay with it? Reed mowed down dozens of people and... nothing? On that note, Voight recommending a DTO was just nonsense. What person would confess to murder/attempted murder because they were caught selling dope? I'd take the drug charge. There was really nothing tying Reed to the 3 murders. So he walks on an unregistered gun. 

The scenes between Kevin and his dad was great when it was shrouded in mystery. But that final scene did not move me. Idk if it was the loud swelling music (telling me what to feel) or the dad's acting. But it was a little mechanical. I didn't feel it. 

LaRoyce was great in showing Kev's conflicted feelings. But Kevin's response to Adam's support was weird. No one said it was just like your father, but he was trying to relate to having a bum for a dad. It was nice to see Adam and Kim be there for him though. Loved Kim and Kevin's scenes especially. 

It was nice to see the team mixed up a bit. Kevin and Hailey at the front of the house was cool. Torres did great in his role. 

It was an okay episode. Just wish this wasn't the last main episode we'd see of Atwater this season, but it probably will be. 

Damar (boy witness in the beginning) was adorable. 

6 hours ago, Nintra16 said:

Maybe my standards are very high because it's an Atwater episode, but this one did not touch me as all his others have. 

The case was so clearly an afterthought. Since when do you know Intelligence to not solve a case? And to just be so okay with it? Reed mowed down dozens of people and... nothing? On that note, Voight recommending a DTO was just nonsense. What person would confess to murder/attempted murder because they were caught selling dope? I'd take the drug charge. There was really nothing tying Reed to the 3 murders. So he walks on an unregistered gun. 

The scenes between Kevin and his dad was great when it was shrouded in mystery. But that final scene did not move me. Idk if it was the loud swelling music (telling me what to feel) or the dad's acting. But it was a little mechanical. I didn't feel it. 

LaRoyce was great in showing Kev's conflicted feelings. But Kevin's response to Adam's support was weird. No one said it was just like your father, but he was trying to relate to having a bum for a dad. It was nice to see Adam and Kim be there for him though. Loved Kim and Kevin's scenes especially. 

It was nice to see the team mixed up a bit. Kevin and Hailey at the front of the house was cool. Torres did great in his role. 

It was an okay episode. Just wish this wasn't the last main episode we'd see of Atwater this season, but it probably will be. 

Kev was letting Ruzek know that he didn't have the luxury of wallowing in anger because at a young age he had two kids to raise. Not to mention being an angry Black man in America could end in tragedy. 

• Like 2
On 1/13/2023 at 6:54 AM, Nintra16 said:

I have to agree, I've tried to put me finger on what just didn't work in this & I can't. Something just felt off. I certainly didn't hate it, or not even not like it, because I did & I LOVED that finally we found out about Kevin's past, at least 7 seasons too late, & all that part was great & LaRoyce did a fantastic job as always but it lacked something.... maybe you are right, the case felt like an after thought. I also was distracted by the actor playing his Dad, not because he had been on the show before, hell even Torres played a crim previously, but I was distracted because he didn't look old enough to be Atwater's father... I'm sure that's just me though.

I did appreciate that it wasn't the usual black v blue trope that they always give Kevin.

Still it was a vast improvement on the woe is me misery fest we've had to endure lately. Here is a guy who's had a lot of shit to deal with, to fight against & to navigate & he just does it. Others.... hubby takes a job overseas for a couple of months & they cease to function & live in their car. The disparity was glaring.

The Atwater/Ruzek interaction felt a little off right at the end, it felt un-them like but I assume Kevin had bigger things on his mind & honestly I didn't get that he 'wasn't angry' more that it was buried deep & for a very good reason, he didn't have the luxury doesn't mean it's not still within him & god knows this show never allows these characters to actually explore anything beneath the surface The delivery of the scene just fell a little flat at the end.

And low and behold, they remembered that Kim had known him for 10 years & they were once partners. That relationship was a joy to revist.... and what's this, Kim's PTSD was miraculously not forgotten. (Although I do find it amusing that whenever she is exhibiting this sudden PTSD guess who is never around to witness it? Yep, can't have audience linking her PTSD to Upton.)

It was nice that Kim was his support in this one, moreso than the usual Ruzek & nobody else.... So he had 2 people watching his back, nice.

Like last week with the dirty cop & Ruzek's line of "not yet" I really hope this is revisited before the end of the season.

And uggghhhhh.. that promo.... week 456 of whiny woe is me Hailey Upton.... talk about going from Rump Steak to boiled liver.

Edited by Guildford
  • Like 1