Type keyword(s) to search

S03:E07 World Pacific Wrestling

AgentRXS
  • Start Topic

Hawaii, 1985: Ata and Rocky try to outmatch Lia's promotion with a stable of new big-name wrestlers. Left behind at the after-school program, Dewey falls in with a crowd of latchkey kids.

Original Air Date: January 6, 2023

Show was fine but this only appeals to hardcore wrestling fans and you're putting it head to head against the highest rated wrestling show there is SmackDown on FOX I don't see any logic to it. I have both on my DVR so watch both I dunno how the ratings actually work but looking for a live audience just doesn't make any sense.

Even weirder since SmackDown was originally built as The Rock's show and he's speculated to be headlining WrestleMania this year. 

Edited by StewieGriffin
19 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Show was fine but this only appeals to hardcore wrestling fans and you're putting it head to head against the highest rated wrestling show there is SmackDown on FOX I don't see any logic to it.

I wouldn't say this show only appeals to wrestling fans, but you're right, scheduling it against Smackdown seems a little odd.  There's wrestling on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays though, so that cuts down the options.  

Sad to see how cutthroat Rock's family became over the wrestling business, you'd think they'd get further working together.  But at least they tried to keep Dewey out of it. 

Yeesh, is every kid a petty thief on this show?

• Like 3
On 1/7/2023 at 12:38 AM, StewieGriffin said:

Show was fine but this only appeals to hardcore wrestling fans and you're putting it head to head against the highest rated wrestling show there is SmackDown on FOX I don't see any logic to it. I have both on my DVR so watch both I dunno how the ratings actually work but looking for a live audience just doesn't make any sense.

Even weirder since SmackDown was originally built as The Rock's show and he's speculated to be headlining WrestleMania this year. 

I have zero interest in wrestling but I enjoy this show a lot. Because I was alive in the 1980s, I have an idea who many of the really famous wrestlers were, but it doesn't distract or reduce my enjoyment. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

With the elder Dwayne just reaching The Rock status on the previous episode we are just reaching the point where Dwayne Johnson goes beyond the WWE and us normies start seeing him. And that is where many of the fans come from. How many of them continue to watch current stars or just  among those who come around and pay attention when a past star from their generation  shows up for yet another last match is questionable. 

Could we see Young Rock as a replay of the Raw versus Nitro Monday Night War for a percentage of current wrestling fans?

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1

I'm guessing the whole "Dewey stealing Snickers from a 7-11" plot for this one is why there was that recent news story about the real Dwayne going back to the 7-11 last year and "paying it back."  Wouldn't be surprised if that was the idea all along when they decided to make this particular episode.

At this point, I've mainly accepted that not all of the wrestlers here are going to look like their real life counterparts, but I still just can't buy this show's version of Ric Flair.  Doesn't look or sound anything like him.

The family will no doubt come to realize that their feud will end up causing a lot of harm and damage that will not be worth the fuss.  Especially with them failing to see Young Dwayne going down the juvenile delinquent path.

Inside voice, Randall!

The latest episode takes place in a later timeline, and the grandmother is there with the family and everything seems hunky dory.  Of course, when you think about it, she's been in a lot of the later timeline scenes already, so obviously things get ironed out somehow.  

The big question to come out of this one was who was Chad Frost?  I bet there are hard core wrestling fans who could make a pretty good guess as to who he was supposed to be.  They said he and Stone Cold were the top WWE stars at the time, and the ladder match shown took place in 1998.  My guess is Shawn Michaels.  He was a big star then, and even now he admits his behavior and attitude was questionable at the time.  In fact, Young Rock hasn't depicted Shawn Michaels much (if at all), he seems conspicuous by his absence.