Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Left Behind

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

The talk of morals, and doing anything to survive, reminded me of a movie I almost watched, and chose to read about instead. Just checked out wikipedia. In the movie, a family is in danger, and one of them has to die, in order for the rest of them to live. A mother tells her husband to kill one of the kids, because she can always have more kids.

I remember an author dealing with a lot of backlash, years ago, after she said that she would save her husband, before the kids, if they were drowning, because they could always have more kids, but she couldn't find another him. WTF. I don't even have kids, but I thought it was just the right thing to do, to protect the kids first. 

• Like 1

Yikes! What was the name of the movie? I'd say most of our instincts are to save the kids; I think there are moral quandaries around some scenarios, though. But let's face it - in the midst of an emergency not too many people would have the time to sort out the ethical nuances of their options.

On 2/18/2023 at 7:19 AM, maystone said:

Yikes! What was the name of the movie? I'd say most of our instincts are to save the kids; I think there are moral quandaries around some scenarios, though. But let's face it - in the midst of an emergency not too many people would have the time to sort out the ethical nuances of their options.

The thing is, it only works in a practical, detached sort of way, when between a fertile mother and a child someone would chose mother, as she would be able to give birth again. Choosing between what's essentially a sperm donor (which is not a rare commodity in our world) and your own children seems really sketchy to me.

• Like 2

It almost sounds like Sophie’s Choice.

In the abstract, it would be easy enough to say that a mother would choose her partner over her kids because they could always have more kids. Realistically, though, I don’t know any mother who wouldn’t sacrifice herself to save her children.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Happy 20th Anniversary of Outbreak Day!

I'd like to say I remembered, but "Max" sent an email to remind people.

But that also reminded me that the first scene after Outbreak Day takes place 20 years later in Boston. And here I am 20 years later...in Boston.

And only Fenway is a desolate post-apocalyptic wasteland...

• Like 1