Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Broken Glass

• Start Topic

Upon learning that Naomi is a homicide detective, Mark covers the tracks of his most recent crime. Eleanor discovers that Isaiah is being bullied at school and seeks revenge. Naomi and her partner Ben make a massive discovery in their case, but it comes at a cost. Claire is on the brink of a major breakthrough in her own right.

I'm enjoying this show so far. Last episode we had Elanor mostly being a lonely little girl who finally had a friend and in this episode we get some big reminders that she's still a vampire who can easily hurt people. I'd still like some more backstory on her. I feel like she should be old enough by now (based on the picture in a previous episode) that being treated like a child should be thoroughly annoying to her.

Angry scientist lady immediately became a better character once she stopped being mad at everyone and everything and actually started working the problem.

My theory thus far is that the scientist dad created the vampire virus by accident and was somehow responsible for Elanor and the son becoming infected. We saw the addict jonesing for the pill that makes people strong but sensitive to sunlight. So after the opioid failure did science dad try something new and ended up creating something much worse?

I like Nick Stahl's character in this but I am also one of the few who liked his take on John Connor. He's basically playing the same role here, a tough and capable dude who has seen some shit.

I appreciate the detail of the bully running off screaming and crying. I only saw the movie with Chloe Moretz but based on that I know a much worse fate is in store for all of these kids.

Did Ben the detective get vamped? Now that would be interesting. And I am 100% certain that vampire they shot won't be there when they go back to look for the body. But it is good to know head shots will slow them down.

The final shot of Elanor looking in on Isaiah through the window was beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What I want to know is why Peter isn't regenerating. Typically a vampire will simply regenerate if it gets cut or burned or otherwise damaged in any physical way. He's had plenty of feedings and plenty of time but shows no improvement. So in this universe vampires apparently do not self-heal. Which suggests the show is treating vampirism more like some kind of virus. Except viruses don't typically give people super speed or super strength. They seem to want to have their cake and eat it too.

• Like 2
On 10/25/2022 at 10:31 AM, iMonrey said:

What I want to know is why Peter isn't regenerating. Typically a vampire will simply regenerate if it gets cut or burned or otherwise damaged in any physical way. He's had plenty of feedings and plenty of time but shows no improvement. So in this universe vampires apparently do not self-heal. Which suggests the show is treating vampirism more like some kind of virus. Except viruses don't typically give people super speed or super strength. They seem to want to have their cake and eat it too.

Maybe it's not part of this "Vampire lore" ??? Seems they are blaming being a vampire on having some kind of virus/bacteria. Like it's a disease. They deff ignored the "vampires can't see their own reflection" thingy because we saw Ellie see herself in the mirror before she smashed her fist into the glass.

I've never read the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist -- I have only seen the original Swedish movie. In the movie Eli's father wasn't really her father but in this show he is. And of course in the novel/original movie -- Eli isn't even a real girl. She isn't even a girl at all.

So obviously this show has changed some things.

I really like the take of the detective living right next door. I see many hijinks ensuing in the future. 

Which leads me to wonder if this show will be more than one season? I ask because if they stick to basic vampire lore-- Elenore (Ellie) shouldn't age. Like she should be stuck in the age she was when she became a vampire. And that is really hard to do in a show when the child actors will naturally age.

Edited by taanja
Edited to say -- I should have read your ENTIRE post iMonrey!
  • Like 1

I saw the original movie, and vaguely remember what happened. 

I hate it when people say they aren't going to talk about something, because it's usually between those who should be talking, and they act like they don't care, when we DO. That said, she's a cop, so she can't talk about it. It makes sense. 

• Like 1