Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: I See You

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Is this an original idea or does it have source material (story, book?).  I think this is better than the general consensus. While I realize that if shows are largely going to be binged the 22 episode format is hard and long and you need a really good reason to persist in watching it, and also it is cheaper (even criminally cheap) to hire people to work on 8 episodes at a time, because you can avoid benefits and things sometimes. But this might have needed the momentum of all the episodes being seen closer together.

I'm glad this came to a satisfactory ending and people got to complete their character arcs. I could even see a next season where we skip ahead a generation and see what is happening. Are the seeing, in fact, becoming more numerous and reproducing? How does Kofun feel, or felt about his decisison at the end? Does No find a girl dog and get to be a father to his own brood?

I doubt New York would be standing and livable at any level, at this time, I bet that what is preserved would be small town libraries and so on, but it was a good visual.

The physical reactions and the use of sound and touch by the blind populace was consistent and well thought out, it must have been an exhausting role for some of them.

Since it has come up with a lot of shows, this is a naturally diverse cast and show, that also showed that prejudice and fear of different people is a problem for societies, even if you can't see the people.

• Like 1

So I binged the whole thing and can now add “See” to the list of High-Concept Expensive Apple Shows with a seemingly tiny audience.

This show was a...lot.  I know Jason Momoa mostly from Game of Thrones and Dune and he is absolutely magnetic here. His blind fighting style was voilent yet elegant. Sylvia Hoeks is fantastically deranged from start to finish. (I would have been totally fine with Baba killing Sibeth in a fit of rage after what she did to Paris). Tom Mison was one my favourites. It was way too obvious that all the lead actors were sighted so I do trust that they had some blind or low-sighted people in the writing room.

Kofun was an idiot, I think Maghra should keep her son in chains rather that allow him to engage is some an extreme form of self-harm. YMMV. Appeasing your future subject's prejudices can only end badly. Baba didn’t experience the world the way his children did but he was still a fantastic dad, except for that time he burned down the library.

The knot system of writing must have been based on the Inca system of quipu. Weird how braille wasn’t used more widely. Don’t really get why everybody had such nice colour-coordinated outfits, but whatever. The wedding cloaks in particular were gorgeous.

And those are my random thoughts.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
On 9/26/2023 at 5:30 PM, marinw said:

Don’t really get why everybody had such nice colour-coordinated outfits, but whatever. The wedding cloaks in particular were gorgeous.

A little eye candy for us sighted folk? Most of it was suitably drab so I suppose they wanted to throw in a bit of colour for us. Agree they were gorgeous  

I watched it as it was put up and enjoyed it. Yes, Tom Mison was fun. Different to his more smoldering role in Sleepy Hollow with his British accent and it took me a whole to realize it was the same actor. Jason Momoa was good in it (loved his growls of disagreement 😄 ) and Sylvia Hoeks was the highlight. Maghra was a bit meh, character and actress, but I guess we needed her to fill out the story. The teenage kids I could have done without (teenagers… awful people! Me included, at the time. 😄). 

• Applause 1
2 hours ago, ferjy said:

Maghra was a bit meh, character and actress, but I guess we needed her to fill out the story. The teenage kids I could have done without

I agree that those actors were just...there. They were balanced out by Alfre Woodard and the actors who played Toad and Charlotte. Chief WhichFinder guy was good too.

The costumes make me think that sighted people might have been around longer than previously thought, they were just keeping quiet about it while literally hiding in plain sight and amusing themselves by dyeing cloth pretty colors. Or else people remembered what plants produce what colored dyes.

• Like 1
On 9/28/2023 at 3:01 PM, ferjy said:

A little eye candy for us sighted folk? Most of it was suitably drab so I suppose they wanted to throw in a bit of colour for us. Agree they were gorgeous  

I just never appreciated how this show wanted it both ways.

”Why is everything so drab & colorless?”

”Because everyone is blind. It doesn’t need to look good, it needs to work.”

”Then what’s up with all the intricate jewelry, and clothes?”

”Don’t overthink it.  It’s there for us.”

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, revbfc said:

”Then what’s up with all the intricate jewelry, and clothes?”

”Don’t overthink it.  It’s there for us.”

Texture, sound and even smell were factors is clothing and jewelry. I would like to know where Baba sourced his Samurai Armor.

Edited by marinw