Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Jay’s Friends

Neptune
  • Start Topic

On 10/16/2022 at 6:01 PM, Check Sanity said:

Oh definitely, especially considering how the critic, Sam and Flower behave when the wave of being stoned freshly hits. I think Flower may have built up a bit of a tolerance and/or possibly sobered up while dying, because she does still have her lucid moments.

Flower has probably had a LOT more experience compensating for being stoned to remain somewhat functional than any of the other characters on the show. Or any potential future characters unless someone from Fleetwood Mac guest stars.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

This episode wasn't as interesting or funny to me as most of the others, maybe because the cult leader and followers did not seem very cult-like. Also, I thought the problem was resolved too easily by Sam claiming she slept with the leader. If he was a "good" (effective) cult leader, he could have talked his way out of it--not denying it, but justifying it.

I did find the end with Flower touching, though it's unlikely that a soldier who went MIA in Vietnam would have come home. But I could be wrong--I don't know the statistics on MIAs being found.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

How does Woodstone ever expect to make a profit as a bed-and-breakfast if there are only nine bedrooms and five of them are occupied by Sam/Jay and invisible ghosts? Or maybe Jay meant nine rooms that are free for renters.

Man, poor Jay. As time goes on he's getting more and more frustrated at not being able to see/hear/communicate with the ghosts and the first Living friends he makes that we know of turn out to be a cult. And a pyramid scheme. Trevor willing to forego his Heaven's Gate/hot girl ghosts scenario to find Sam and explain why Jay's new friends are totally bad for him says everything about how much the ghosts appreciate Jay and are protective of him like they are Sam, even though he can't see them. Sam really needs to sit Jay down one day and make sure he understands the ghosts do like him and want him to be involved and part of the conversation(s). It might make him more frustrated or sad to hear, but I think it would do him good to hear it.

"Welcome to another day in hell, bitch." Isaac would be proud of my dramatic gasp when I heard that out of Pete's mouth, lol. From the man that had to spell out heck when he was chastising Stephanie last season? I love that eventually even cynical Sass wanted the old Pete back, and I might have choked up a little at Pete's line about how every so often a sunset comes around that makes it all worth it. 

When Sam/Mooncow read the email from Flower's brother to her and Flower got emotional about it, I loved that the sunset line came back, with Pete telling Sass, "That's why I still look for/watch the sunsets." How does this show get it so right in making the emotional moments so perfect?

*Seriously. Trevor was so kind to Flower when he explained to her what MIA really meant and that her brother might not be dead after all. And he and Alberta went to Sam to see what she could do to help find him to help Flower get closure. He really is a good dude despite the lack of pants and douchebro tendencies he can't shake entirely.

Thor constantly referencing "Friends" (Marcel the monkey living with Ross! the eighteen page letter front and back!) was the best part of the episode for me. Bar none. How wonderful that Sam and Jay transformed the ghosts' lives so much that a centuries-old Viking ghosts that didn't even know what a TV was in the pilot now unabashedly loves '90s sitcoms and trashy reality TV :)

On 10/13/2022 at 8:12 PM, ams1001 said:

Guess Ross Jay should have read the letter contract.

I love you for that. You are my new best friend XD. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

How does Woodstone ever expect to make a profit as a bed-and-breakfast if there are only nine bedrooms and five of them are occupied by Sam/Jay and invisible ghosts? Or maybe Jay meant nine rooms that are free for renters.

I recall many of us likewise wondering about the viability of the financial plan for the Woodstone. I (and others?) decided to handwave the question by chalking it up to Sitcom Economics, with perhaps the most notoriously referenced example being the spacious Friends apartments.

But I like your theory that Jay meant 9 rooms free for renters.

I think also discussed here and elsewhere was the reality of sky-high short-term rents (and all housing prices) everywhere these days. Plus, Sam and Jay are only paying property taxes, not a mortgage. But heating that humongous, no-doubt drafty, cavernous structure in the winter can’t be cheap either. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Trevor willing to forego his Heaven's Gate/hot girl ghosts scenario to find Sam and explain why Jay's new friends are totally bad for him says everything about how much the ghosts appreciate Jay and are protective of him like they are Sam, even though he can't see them. 

Aw, this is a really nice way to look at it :). Yeah, between this and Trevor genuinely trying to help Flower find her brother, he had some really good supportive moments this episode. 

"Welcome to another day in hell, bitch." Isaac would be proud of my dramatic gasp when I heard that out of Pete's mouth, lol. From the man that had to spell out heck when he was chastising Stephanie last season? I love that eventually even cynical Sass wanted the old Pete back, and I might have choked up a little at Pete's line about how every so often a sunset comes around that makes it all worth it. 

When Sam/Mooncow read the email from Flower's brother to her and Flower got emotional about it, I loved that the sunset line came back, with Pete telling Sass, "That's why I still look for/watch the sunsets." How does this show get it so right in making the emotional moments so perfect?

Right? Between those three, my eyes were definitely getting a little misty by the end of the episode :').

(LOL at your comment about an Isaac-worthy dramatic gasp XD. I kinda hope we get to see Dark Pete again someday. I don't care what the reason is, I'd just be curious to see that side of him pop up once more :p.)

*Seriously. Trevor was so kind to Flower when he explained to her what MIA really meant and that her brother might not be dead after all. And he and Alberta went to Sam to see what she could do to help find him to help Flower get closure. He really is a good dude despite the lack of pants and douchebro tendencies he can't shake entirely.

Yeah, I really liked him helping like he did. And I loved Alberta's sneaky method she used to get Flower to open up more about her brother, too. Considering Trevor would've been born at the tail end of the 1960s, he would've been a very young boy when the Vietnam War ended, but even so, it has me wondering if his family had a relative who fought in Vietnam, or if someone he knew had a loved one who'd fought in that war or something. His knowledge seemed to imply that maybe he or someone he knew had some personal experience with that kind of situation. 

Thor constantly referencing "Friends" (Marcel the monkey living with Ross! the eighteen page letter front and back!) was the best part of the episode for me. Bar none. How wonderful that Sam and Jay transformed the ghosts' lives so much that a centuries-old Viking ghosts that didn't even know what a TV was in the pilot now unabashedly loves '90s sitcoms and trashy reality TV :)

Thor loving '90s TV is one of my favorite running gags. I wonder what other '90s sitcoms he's gotten into :D?