Type keyword(s) to search

The Super Mario Bros Movie (2023)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

It looks really good. Mario didn't talk in the games I played,  the only Mario voices I know are Bob Hoskins Working Class NY Italian accent and the one they use on Robot Chicken.

To me Pratt sounded too much like Emmet from The Lego Movie. I would have preferred something closer to Hoskins voice but, that's just me.

(edited)

Excellent. I give it a 10/10.  Stay for the mid credit and post credit scene (we missed the post credit one).

I have not enjoyed a movie in a long time.  

Keep an eye out for the Easter Eggs (Punch out pizza, someone playing Donkey Kong, the music, etc).

And the song..... Jack Black is awesome: 

Edited by greekmom
  • Like 2
(edited)

I loved this movie and all the choices it made so much. A lot of people complained about cranky kong, but man I loved that choice. Certainly not what I expected and I was a bit taken aback at first, but after like two seconds I thought it was amazing.

I thought Chris Pratt would distract me a lot, but he was a lot better than in the trailers. I wonder if they called him back to rerecord his lines, after the initial backlash. Otherwise it seems like a weird choice to put all his worst lines in the trailer.

A lot of people seem to be over Seth Rogan, I kinda am too most days, but here he was the perfect casting in my opinion. Jack Black of course outstanding. Keegan-Michael Key really captured the essence of Captain Toad, without getting into annoying-territory. Everybody else was good too. Imo there was no obvious super weak link. I mean for Peach, Mario and Luigi you might as well have gotten professional voice actors for way cheaper, who would have given the same or better performances, but it was perfectly fine.

This might have been a simple story, but again, great. I'm not sure what the critics are on about. I might not be the best to judge this, since I have a lot of prior knowledge, but I thought it was a great introduction to the world. From here you can build some more complex stories, if you want to and if you don't, that's fine, too. Not everything needs to be Citizen Kane. Some movies can just be a fun ride.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 2
On 4/10/2023 at 8:47 PM, Sara2009 said:

I thought this was a lot of fun.

It was fun! Chris Pratt doing the Italian accent in the commercial made me cringe super hard, and the fact that they had the real Mario voice Charles Martinet right there yet reduced him to a cameo still infuriated me, but he was not terrible. He still has no business doing Garfield though.

I don’t hate Seth Rogen, but sorry, he was a big misfire as DK.

Obviously, Jack Black was the MVP (with Charlie Day as a close second). The Peach song is gonna be in my head.

So many Easter eggs took me back to the days when my brother and I rented the video games from the library…and I loved hearing Yoshi at the credits.

I wonder if the success means we’re going get a Zelda movie at some point.

• Like 1
(edited)

I really, really enjoyed this movie and wish I would have seen it in the theater. It was probably awesome on the big screen. I think I had a smile on my face the entire movie that got bigger and bigger with each little nod to the game. Made me remember when my brothers and I would play all day. 

SR's voice kind of grates to me so I didn't really care for him as DK but otherwise I really had no issues.

"Sit, jam with me." Loved it.

Edited by Grumpymonkey
  • Like 1