Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E27: Trace Adkins; Jula Ioffe; Jon Meacham

• Start Topic

Okay. Bill has proven that he is a sharp guy and has a quick wit, but he went too far in his first few moments with Trace Adkins. Yes, Trace started off by ribbing Bill on how Bill got off a few good jokes in the monologue. Real Time is supposed to be a political/comedy show and Trace was being game. But for Bill to shoot back with how Trace has shit on his shoes, mocking a stereotype of country music folk was IMO, being ugly and going too far. Shades of "But I'm a house n*****!" from a few years ago. Thank God Trace managed to maintain equanimity and no, I am not of the country music demographic. But having someone on your show is the same as inviting them to your house and Bill acted horribly in the first few moments of the interview. Just sayin'... Good for Bill for having one of his aides provide background on Trace's body of work, but his seeming familiarity with Mr. Adkins' ouvre did not make make up for the rudeness of the shit on shoes remark. Sigh.

I guess I do not understand the pressure of being a stand up. But Bill is both a stand up AND a show host and he needs to strike a better balance. Bill is quick to take others to task: he should have figured this out after all of his years on TV.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, FaginZorro said:

But having someone on your show is the same as inviting them to your house and Bill acted horribly in the first few moments of the interview. Just sayin'... Good for Bill for having one of his aides provide background on Trace's body of work, but his seeming familiarity with Mr. Adkins' ouvre did not make make up for the rudeness of the shit on shoes remark. Sigh.

I thought Bill was so rude. That comment was mean spirited and totally uncalled for. I really like the comparison that having someone on your show is kind of like having them be a guest in your home. Trace handled it really well all things considered. I guess Bill thought he was being funny but I don't believe for a second that he wouldn't have been annoyed if he went onto some show and the host started out the segment "joking" about how he had shit on his nose from constantly having it up blank person's ass.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

So Bill calls millennials and Gen Z'ers a bunch of woke, lazy, and spoiled brats. He claims that Americans in general are a bunch of idiots who don't know anything. "America is a stupid country" as he always says. 

Yet somehow, we need to watch what we say about Trump voters and not insult them? We somehow need to get along? If anyone deserves the type of scorn that Bill gives to the woke mob, it's actually Trump voters. Bill really needs to try harder to find more consistency within all the claims he makes on his show.

That being said I enjoyed this episode. My favorite part was Ioffe calling out Adkins during Overtime and he had no response. You can see he was really trying to hold back whatever he wanted to say. And credit to Bill for at least calling out Adkins with his "Well, Trump was nice to me" nonsense by comparing that to people saying OJ was nice to them back in the 90s. 

• Love 2
On 9/18/2022 at 4:26 PM, heatherchandler said:

He was rude to Trace and Ioffe.  
I love how Jon Meacham knows literally everything, including dates.

Ehh, Trace deserved it and should have known better. If you smack talk a comedian on their show, you will get it back much worse.

3 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Ehh, Trace deserved it and should have known better. If you smack talk a comedian on their show, you will get it back much worse.

If anyone deserves to be smack talked on their own show, it’s Bill Maher. He’s long overdue getting his!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2022 at 12:14 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Both of them could have been ripping each other (the good side of trash talk) in the green room before the show and kept it going live. So we only saw one part of a larger context. I mean, I told someone in a meeting that no one likes them because they couldn't read. 

• Like 1