Type keyword(s) to search

The Jennifer Hudson Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't think this has a topic already; I couldn't find one when searching.

I think she's doing really well so far. The first episode was probably the weakest episode although I loved the interview with Simon, but I've enjoyed the rest of the episodes this week a lot more than I expected! Clearly she's imitating Ellen's show to degrees, dancing with the audience to begin with and channeling good vibes. Her theme song definitely nails that feeling, really fun to listen to. I imagine a lot of people thought she might imitate The Kelly Clarkson Show simply because of the Idol connection, but she's doing her own thing. So far, I think she's a better interviewer than Kelly simply because she lets the guest do most of the talking. The Viola Davis interview today was pretty fun, especially since I usually find Davis a little reserved in interviews, she seemed more open here than I expected. And the Yvonne Orji interview was straight up hilarious.

I like the little stories we're getting about her and her family--seeing her sister who's a bus driver on the premiere, hearing about her job at Burger King, etc. The story where she named her pets different awards and the chipmunk named Tony gave me a good laugh.

• Love 1

The audience-member's story yesterday of stealing her co-worker's lunch every day for two months straight had me rolling. Particularly the ending when she said she went up to the woman on the woman's last day (I assume she left voluntarily??) and told her she was glad she was finally leaving because she was getting tired of eating goat cheese and crackers. 🤣

• Sad 1
On 9/19/2022 at 3:03 PM, SHERMDOG said:

For some reason she grates ony ever lasting nerve! Lol. I'm sure she will do great!! And that's awesome!!! Just not for me! She's got alot of fans so she will be successful!

I thought her demeanor was the same as when she played Carries helper in Sex and the City, but she’s a little too loud.  Maybe she’s nervous.  I was surprised to hear she’s 41 and has a Son.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2022 at 7:27 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

The audience-member's story yesterday of stealing her co-worker's lunch every day for two months straight had me rolling. Particularly the ending when she said she went up to the woman on the woman's last day (I assume she left voluntarily??) and told her she was glad she was finally leaving because she was getting tired of eating goat cheese and crackers. 🤣

Well...to be fair. I didn't like her on The Voice either. It always seemed to be about her..

• Love 1

I love Leslie Jordan on a normal day, but, man, he was on fire during the interview today. I LOLed at least five different times, from when he was talking about first hearing his own voice on a recorder to the first job he had playing a genie and then recounting stories of his father, I'm glad she gave him three segments. Very sorry to hear his mother and sister passed. :(

On 9/24/2022 at 9:45 AM, SHERMDOG said:

Well...to be fair. I didn't like her on The Voice either. It always seemed to be about her..

I liked her on The Voice, but I knew that I was sort of a minority having already been a fan of her prior to the show. I think her personality is sort of an acquired taste and that's why I didn't really think the show would be that good going into it. I was merely tuning in as a fan of her as an artist, but I thought it would end up being a mess.

I've been very pleasantly surprised! She's much better when telling stories and talking with the audience than I expected--now I'm just wondering if that'll last or if she might run out of interesting stories after a while--and she tries not to draw attention away from the guests in the interviews. I actually think she's been bringing out the best in the guests, tbh, between Viola Davis, Orji, Jordan, and the Bachelor guy yesterday.

• Love 1

Her show is rated second for first-year shows so far behind Sherri.  There are a bunch of talk shows that are higher, but this article mentions that she is doing much better than Nick Cannon did on similar stations:

https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/article/jeopardy-wins-overall-while-sherri-leads-the-rookies/

Jennifer came in 7th on American Idol in season 3 (2004).  It was considered shocking because she'd had some really good performances, but she had also been in the bottom two or three in votes several times before that because she is polarizing (plus she was a Wild Card into the top 12 in the first place).  I like her overall.  I don't know if I would have watched her show regularly, but it doesn't matter because it's not on in my area. Nick Cannon's show was on the national version of the CW here, but that station replaced him with Karamo.

• Love 1

So awful, I don't  know where to start, but I'll  manage.

WTH is it with JHud's, how shall I put it, FAKE PATOIS?? She is waaaay too straight outta Compton,  gurrrrrl! 

My second show this morning. So execrable.

She pretended she didn't  remember  that Adam Lambert finished Runner-up. She put him on the vocal spot such that he actually  had to say that the key for their "Nessun Dorma" (which, what? Try starting in a recognizable place, JHud) was too high for him. She sang wrong notes for the 2-note "We Will Rock You." 

Just now, LennieBriscoe said:

So awful, I don't  know where to start, but I'll  manage.

WTH is it with JHud's, how shall I put it, FAKE PATOIS?? She is waaaay too straight outta Compton,  gurrrrrl! 

My second show this morning. So execrable.

She pretended she didn't  remember  that Adam Lambert finished Runner-up. She put him on the vocal spot such that he actually  had to say that the key for their "Nessun Dorma" (which, what? Try starting in a recognizable place, JHud) was too high for him. She sang wrong notes for the 2-note "We Will Rock You." 

Edit symbol still too close to the Quote one. Oh, well.

Wanted to add that I won't  make the mistake of watching this show a third time. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I haven't seen the show, does she sing like Kelly does?

I never watched Kelly but what happens when she runs out of family stories?  I can see her as a guest, but her own show .. no.  She gives me a headache.   I tune in here n there as there’s nothing else on.

8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I haven't seen the show, does she sing like Kelly does?

Not a full cover every day or anything like that. There's really just her theme song that plays as she comes out and then occasionally she'll sing with a guest when it's appropriate (such as with Adam Lambert and Cheyenne Jackson). There was a segment last where she and Babyface tried to make R&B songs out of random phrases from the audience.