Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: We Light the Way

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Daemon visits his wife in the Vale. Viserys and Rhaenyra broker agreements with the Velaryons. Alicent seeks the truth about the princess.

Reminder: 

There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into any book talk you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read any of the related books to date. 

Unless the show has a really good explanation next week, the change to the Cole/Lonmouth fight is the dumbest thing I've seen on the show by a wide margin. There is no way that that wouldn't lead to Cole being immediately executed.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Unless the show has a really good explanation next week, the change to the Cole/Lonmouth fight is the dumbest thing I've seen on the show by a wide margin. There is no way that that wouldn't lead to Cole being immediately executed.

It was much more intense/shocking than a melee, but it is hard to imagine how Alicent manages to wash it all away. I suppose he’ll have to claim Joffrey was threatening the princess? 

I’m enjoying the show but I do miss the unreliable narrator/dueling viewpoints of the book. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/18/2022 at 11:08 PM, SeanC said:

Agreed. I bet they will have Alicent saving him, but that is insane. He should be dead.

• Like 1

Ser Criston could have a trial by combat. Not to determine if he killed Ser Joffrey but if he was justified in doing so, just as the Hound had a trial by combat in Game of Thrones to determine if he was justified in killing Mycah.

That said, I'm skeptical the show will do that.

Another oddity in the show is that Viserys proposed to Corlys that the law of succession to the Iron Throne go Full Dorne

Viserys: Upon their birth, Ser Laenor and Rhaenyra's children shall take their father's name, Velaryon... in keeping with our traditions. However, at such time when their firstborn ascends the Iron Throne, he or she will do so bearing the name Targaryen. Dragons will rule the Seven Kingdoms for the next hundred years, just as they did the last.

Corlys: This is an equitable compromise.

You never go Full Dorne.

Many people will reject that idea merely because it's Dornish, and a lot of lords who have older sisters, or daughters older than their sons, won't care for it either.

One reason Lady Jeyne Arryn, the ruler of the Vale, supported Rhaenyra was that if Rhaenyra's claim wasn't upheld, that could be used to argue that Lady Jeyne shouldn't rule either. Lords might feel the same way. Viserys's new law of succession could be used to question their status or their succession plans.