Type keyword(s) to search

The Celebrities: Cherry Picking from the BBC Schedule

We have some confirmed names:

1) Judy Murray -- Mother of Scottish Tennis player Andy Murray.

2) Frankie Bridge -- from the girl group The Saturdays.

3) Alison Hammond -- TV presenter.

4) Thom Evans -- Rugby player (and model, naturally).

Any other rumours out there?

Also confirmed:  Simon Webbe from boyband Blue (were very big a while back).  Took part in Strictly Christmas Special

Rumored:  

Jake Wood - Soap actor

Helen Skelton - TV presenter (has also done the Xmas Special, so maybe less likely now Simon is in)

Gregg Wallace - TV presenter (was strongly rumored, not so much recently)

Jenny Jones - Snowboarder

Mark Wright - reality TV 'star', TV presenter and boyfriend of a soap actress (also rumored, but unlikely)

Michael Owen - retired soccer player 

Dave Berry - radio presenter 

Kelly Hoppen - interior designer and TV personality

Michelle Collins - soap actress

Ross Kemp - actor/presenter

Shona McGarty - another soapie!

Tyger Drew-Honey - actor

Angelica Bell - presenter

Carole Cleveland - part of Monty Python

Edited by ceebee

Mark Wright is confirmed.  I'm a bit disappointed Strictly have signed someone from reality TV (albeit one with a slender presenting career beyond that) and hope it isn't a sign of things to come.  

It's nothing new to us Americans.  We've been getting Bachelor/Bachelorette castoffs on our version for years (and we've also had to endure two Osbournes, two Kardashians, Bristol Palin, and Kate Gosselin), so I figure that if we have to suffer, it's only fair that the UK have to suffer once in a while.

Edited by legaleagle53

Updated list:

5) Mark Wright -- Reality TV star

6) Sunetra Sarker-- television actress.

7) Caroline Flack --TV Presenter/Professional Short Wearer

8) Simon Webbe -- Former Blue member

Edited by oakgal

BBC are confirming one a day.... today's offering is Jake Wood - EastEnders actor.  

I'd say Caroline was in as per newspapers (but not yet the BBC).  

Rumors not mentioned above: Pixie Lott (singer and ringer), Alan Hansen (ex-soccer player and pundit), Paul Hollywood (tv baker and silver fox) and Michelle Collins (soap actress)

Edited by ceebee

So far, not one of the rumored names has panned out.  

We're at eleven now, right?  There are fifteen pros announced (I just counted them), which means that we only have four slots left.

Edited by legaleagle53

6) Sunetra Sarker-- television actress.

9) Steve Backshall -- Snake wrangler, wildlife presenter, adventurer and daredevil.  Apparently.

10) Scott Mills --Radio DJ

11) Jake Wood -- EastEnders actor

We're at 11, if you include Caroline Flack who isn't technically announced yet but I bet she's on. 

Edited by oakgal

So far, not one of the rumored names has panned out.  

Just Mark Wright so far.  The BBC have done well keeping so many under wraps.  

I think the cast so far looks promising.  No really big stars, but most have solid 'credentials'  with the exception of the reality guy - in my opinion of course -  but I'll concede he's popular with a certain crowd and will look nice.  I guess Judy Murray is a bit marginal in the celebrity stakes, but people in the UK who follow tennis will know her as a commentator, pundit, coach, captain of the British Fed Cup team and promoter of the women's game.  To everyone else, she's just Andy's Mum.

A  Strictly Wednesday welcome to .... pop singer Pixie Lott

Pixie being an Italia Conti graduate (the same performing arts school attended by Mark, Derek and Julianne), plus a few mutterings of specific ballroom and latin training, will mark her out as candidate for principle ringer...

No surprises today but confirmation of Caroline Flack.

Caroline should be fun.  She used to work on X Factor which airs against Strictly for most of the season, and her casting, alongside Pixie, Frankie, Mark and even Scott could be seen as a statement of intent regarding Cowell and co....

The final three celebrities were announced this evening.  Did they save the best till last????  

Er.  No. 

Tim Wonnacott - TV antiques expert.  

Jennifer Gibney - comedy actress (unknown to me)

Gregg Wallace - judge on Masterchef.  A 'love or loathe'  type.

ETA : Apparently these come from a newspaper not the BBC - who will be confirming tomorrow - but I think it's reliable

Edited by ceebee

6) Sunetra Sarker-- television actress.
9) Steve Backshall -- Snake wrangler, wildlife presenter, adventurer and daredevil.  Apparently.
10) Scott Mills --Radio DJ
11) Jake Wood -- EastEnders actor

12) Pixie Lott

So, we have 4 more?

• Love 1

Jennifer Gibney is from Dublin and is married to another Dubliner Brendan Carroll and they did a BBC series where Brendan played foul-mouthed Irish matriarch Agnes Brown (Mrs. Brown's Boys) and his wife Jennifer plays his - well, Agnes' daughter.  A movie based on it just came out in late June.  I'm expecting Tristan to be with her, due to the Dublin connection.  She's pretty, she's tall (or maybe just looks it in pix because her hubby's 5'5"), and she's 49...  Maybe I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if they didn't put the new Irish pro with the Irish comedienne.  They paired him with Kristina Rihanoff and I'm pretty sure she's the oldest female pro - unless it's Natalie Lowe (who's 5'10" but I digress...)

Sure wish we could see this thing without needing hacker skills but what can you do...  They don't even let people in Ireland vote for Strictly couples!! (unless they're in Northern Ireland)  Ain't that a shame?

Edited by Morrigan

I've seen Jennifer's husband on various chat shows, but don't watch Mrs Brown's Boys so her name meant nothing to me.  I've seen her age reported anywhere from late forties to late fifties! Can't find any info on her height.  I really hope they don't give Jennifer to Tristan. It's time he got to partner a young fittie.  I wouldn't be surprised if Jennifer went to Anton. 

• Love 1

These are the women in order of age: 

Pixie Lott, 23, Singer (5'7 or 5'8)

Frankie Sandford/Bridge, 25, The Saturdays Singer (5'3 or 5'5)

Caroline Flack, 34, TV Presenter (5'4)

Alison Hammond, 39, This Morning Presenter (5'10)

Sunetra Sarker, 41, Casualty Actress (5'0 or 5'1)
Judy Murray, 55, Tennis Coach & Fed Cup Captain (5'6 -ish)

Jennifer Gibney, 58 (or 49??), Mrs Brown's Boys Actress (height?)

I think there's a good chance Tristan will get Pixie (Or perhaps I just hope...)  

Saw  Frankie singing with her band on a TV show the other day and they were doing the girl-band 'wiggle, strut, pout and point' thing that passes for dancing.  I have to say, she wasn't that great at it!!

Caroline can dance and is fun and would probably get on with Tristan.  Or drive him mad....

Of the older women, Alison is very overweight, although I think she can move a bit, Sunetra seems perky, Judy will likely be cursed with a tennis player's aptitude for dancing (ie none) but she's fit, slim, hardworking....  Jennifer???

It's probably rare that the younger age reported for an actress turns out to be the correct one, ahemm.  Oh dear - but whatever will be will be.  It's hard not to be overly worried about Tristan, considering his assignments on DWTS.  But Strictly doesn't have a "star" based system among the pros, and they get paid for entire seasons, not just how many weeks they last - all reasons not to be too worried, I guess.  Also, there are several other female Strictly pros around Kristina's age, so the Tristan/Kristina pro pairing probably means nothing.  One of them said they'd be switching up, at least somewhat, and with 8 women and 7 men, they'd have to.

Speaking of the lack of a star system, it even seems like they're likely to dismiss a pro after they win!  Karen Hardy, Matthew Cutler, Camilla Dallerup, Flavia Cacace, Lilia Kopylova, Darren Bennett - I think they were all basically "let go" despite winning.  Maybe some were even given a win as a reward for years of faithful service (while being eased out the door.)  They may have said differently but I don't believe them (with the exception of Artem - he probably did have reasons for wanting the transfer.)  A couple former winners remain - Brendan and Ola, and new guy Aljaz - but it seems to be the exception, not the rule.

Edited by Morrigan

Matthew, Lilia and Darren were definitely given the heave-ho.  Karen, I can't remember.  I believe Camilla wanted to go but have a feeling she probably wouldn't have been kept much longer.  I'm as certain (as I can be) that it was Flavia's choice.  Nobody has won twice ;-)

Here are the final 3, via the BBC:

Masterchef judge Gregg Wallace, Bargain Hunt's Tim Wonnacott and Mrs Brown's Boys actress Jennifer Gibney join 12 other celebrities previously announced.

I live in the US and I've only heard of Pixie Lott although I can't really name more than 1 of her songs. One of the things I like about Strictly is that I don't come in with a bunch of preconceived notions about the celebrities. I can just enjoy what the couples bring to the floor.

Maybe I'm just fed up with Dancing with the Derek, but I think the Strictly lineup sounds better than the American one.  I've heard of Chong, of Cheech and Chong, but he's 74 I think -- and I've heard of the race car driver but wouldn't recognize him in person if I fell over him.  And I think that's it.  A Youtube sensation?  Though she's paired with Derek so she's probably our new winner.  Oh, I've heard of Antonio Sabato, 1990's General  Hospital star, but I think that basically sums him up.  Talk about D-listers.

Via Digital Spy--the pairings:  

(which I hope are wrong in some cases)

Gregg Wallace & Aliona Vilani
Jake Wood & Janette Manrara
Mark Wright & Karen Hauer
Scott Mills & Joanne Clifton
Simon Webbe & Kristina Rihanoff
Steve Backshall & Ola Jordan
Thom Evans & Iveta Lukosiute
Tim Wonnacott & Natalie Lowe
Alison Hammond & Aljaz Skorjanec
Caroline Flack & Pasha Kovalev
Frankie Bridge & Kevin Clifton
Jennifer Gibney & Tristan MacManus
Judy Murray & Anton du Beke
Pixie Lott & Trent Whiddon
Sunetra Sarker & Brendan Cole

Tristan gets screwed again. I am irate about that pairing. C'mon!

Edited by oakgal

I wonder if there was some sort of wardrobe disaster and that's why Caroline has on shorts.  Oh well, I've seen far worse for promo pix.  Lovely girl.

And oakgal I know what you mean! We see a sexy hunky dancer who could be so popular, with a decent chance - and I guess they see the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I'll never get it!!

• Love 1

Thanks for doing this, Occasional Hope.  It might turn out to be a good year for me to watch. I don't know ANY of the contestants. Surprisingly, that's usually ends up being a good thing.

Questions:

- We've had a member of the Saturday's on before didn't we? I just forget who it was and who her partner was.

- more poor memory. Did we have 6 females and 5 males last year? Because it's the opposite this time. I don't remember if they alternate.

Frankie was a Saturday, and she was very good, so I have hopes for Mollie.

Yes, I think the gender balance does alternate if they can.

Final names:
Susan Calman ( missed her before, can't remember what she does but I think another presenter)

Paralympian Jonnnie Peacock

Singer Alexandra Burke

Debbie McGee - famous for being married to Paul, and not merely a trained dancer but a former pro (admittely not ballroom, but still... - but as an older woman she's got a handicap in the votes)

• Love 1

For the first time since I started watching I have not heard of a single celebrity. I live in the US so I usually haven't heard of most of the celebrities. It would be nice to have a few familiar faces in the mix outside of the pros, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards this time.

Thoughts/predictions

Susannah Constantine - obv there for Anton

Charles Venn - Casualty star, could do well, appears very fit (and hot,) and has done at least one musical

Lauren Steadman - Paralympian, but not one I'd heard of

Lee Ryan - boyband alumni usually do well

Seann Walsh - comedian, predict will be tiresomely "funny" rather than learning to dance properly

Joe Sugg - youtube star known for stupid pranks, ditto

Kate Silverton - newsreader, prob mid-pack, but has one of the better recognition factors this year

Ashley Roberts from Pussycat Dolls - predict early shock boot - she may well be good, but ringer status will count against her with the public

Stacey Dooley - documentary maker, not an obvious choice for this show

Dr Ranj Singh - TV doctor, I somehow foresee a medical theme to every single dance he does - might do well though

Graeme Swann - cricketer, probably a disaster

Vick Hope - radio DJ, my dark horse to win

Danny John Jules - will probably be good but won't win

Faye Tozer - ex steps, ditto

Katie Piper - suspect she will do well in votes

18 minutes ago, Occasional Hope said:

2018 lineup:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006m8dq

Not a very starry list this year imo.

(PS, I was so wrong about Debbie last year.)

Hmm.  Nice eye candy on the men's side (nobody I'd recognize, but there's no reason that I would, of course).  And three new pros?  Who's out from the old lineup?

Never mind. I see that it's Brendan and Chloe who are out.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Trent Whiddon has been around, during training. His wife said well-done to him (and Anya Garnis) in connection to the promotion advert now airing on BBC (with empty dancing shoes - I wonder if Trent and Anya danced in those shoes and then were erased out for the video?)

• Love 1