Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Sleeping Dogs

• Start Topic

A surprise encounter with Howard leaves Kanan rattled. Raq tries to expand into new territory, but when an associate and valuables go missing, she is reunited with an old adversary. Lou continues to butt heads with Crown.

Air date: August 28, 2022

• Love 1

Juliana's neighborhood is so nice and safe that she is not always alert at work and didn't see Nique walk in to be concerned. She was so focused on her novela that she can't bother look up to her customers or make sure she wasn't passed a fake bill.

At least preventing theft of the "Penthouse" magazine was more of her concern. She is lucky the security tapes were taken for Raq to not see her slacking.

The "Sleeping Dog" is Raq. Nique should have taken his loss, laid low but now he had to go and mess with her money. It was his girl that got him in this predicament with her fear. Raq would have left him alone. But now he had to push!

I know the writers are trying to find an excuse to keep Joey on the show but Raq, Marvin and Lou can make Nique disappear easily so the police would never find the body. No way he should be kept alive after this.

Nique was holding a gun to Juliana all that time? Must have been at least two days. I can see him being dumb enough to stand in that position all that time waiting for Raq to show up.

The  "Luke Kanan! I'm your father" scene was anti-climactic. What was Howard expecting?

Howard had creepy stalker action this episode! Kanan leaves his house, turns around and there he is out of nowhere! Kanan turns the corner after getting off the bus and there he is (as if he memorized the bus schedule). I can now see where adult Kanan got that from.

Kanan and Juke were talking about if he should confront Raq about Howard, Juke pretty much said it wasn't a good idea and a few minutes later Kanan asked anyway.

Kanan should have known Raq was lying when she laughed at first. When has Raq ever laughed?!!!!

Raq better work on her customer service, now Nique's old customers are complaining about her product.

Raq and Marvin went to New Jersey and didn't bring Lou was curious. Good luck Damon!

Camacho is cold to tell Juke about her look and want her to look like a Hoochie (and Lou agreed). Made me laugh when he said "who is this girl, looking like she is in New Edition. 

Will Camacho and/or Lou be bold to have the "virtuoso and an artiste" Zisa provide "the look" and lip sync over Juke's song?

I'll give Cartier credit for thinking his line would impress Raq. He tried!

Renee already breaking for Marvin. It's just a matter of time for those two. 

Demo in the wheelchair is bitchin about the elevator usage but once he rolls on, he got it all to himself while the other residents had to wait. He could have at least told Marvin to let them on too. So selfish!!!!!

This breathing technique on "Open and Aggressive" Marvin will not last long! Good luck to the person on the receiving end when Marvin finally can't take it anymore!

Famous' mom is wrong to put word to the other relatives to not let him stay with them. What is she going to do them if they lent him money? Is his mom a gangsta?

There are about 7 - 10 soldiers in the room and not one noticed Kanan taking the drugs. Lack of Internal Control!

Cops can't be that stupid to roll up to see Kanan and Famous selling "mix tapes" to crackheads and believe there are tapes are in there. I guess Kanan can sell there again as the cops "should have" a clue by then.

If someone happens to OD in the alley, the cops will see all those empty containers with Famous' name on it and go straight to him.

All that selling and Famous still doesn't have enough for an apartment.

Poor Burke! Her loyalty to dirty Howard is going to get her killed. 

Good grief. Burke and Adina have the same look!

Burke can see Howard's memory is not all lost that he could remember the hooker to call. Her son must be really stupid to think she is a barber making house calls day and night with no barber shop! And Detective Adina is wrong! Howard didn't have any trouble with this woman helping him that night.

Howard is so miserable a hooker can't leave his place happy!

Worrell gets recruited to work for Raq and when shit goes sideways, they show their true colors to him with distrusts, threatens his life and points a gun to him. And Worell thought this was an upgrade over Nique.

Juke's mom recognized her immediately. I hope we get a good explanation from her why she left and never looked her up. 

When Crown took off his glasses in front of Raq, you know it was "Serious Crown" time.

The Metro North train hits harder than the "sometimes late" J Train. Thanks for that tidbit 50! I'm sure there is a better chance to survive a hit from the J.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Unique has no kind of manners, making Juliana miss her shows!

I have this insane urge to cut Crown’s hair. I want slap it off. It’s annoying me.

How was the disabled guy in the wheelchair able to get up and down the stairs? With that rude ass attitude, I can't see anyone helping him.

Marvin hearing Juke and asking about her... 😢

LeToya! Sang it girl!

dance-god.gif

7 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Nique was holding a gun to Juliana all that time? Must have been at least two days. I can see him being dumb enough to stand in that position all that time waiting for Raq to show up.

I said the same thing 🤣

So he was just waiting there just like that for any moment they were gonna show up?

• LOL 2
12 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Kanan and Juke were talking about if he should confront Raq about Howard, Juke pretty much said it wasn't a good idea and a few minutes later Kanan asked anyway.

Well Kanan has always been a great listener.

14 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Kanan should have known Raq was lying when she laughed at first. When has Raq ever laughed?!!!!

That... is a great question.

16 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Will Camacho and/or Lou be bold to have the "virtuoso and an artiste" Zisa provide "the look" and lip sync over Juke's song?

I thought they were gonna give Zisa Juke's song. They probably still will.

18 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Burke can see Howard's memory is not all lost that he could remember the hooker to call. Her son must be really stupid to think she is a barber making house calls day and night with no barber shop! And Detective Adina is wrong! Howard didn't have any trouble with this woman helping him that night.

Howard is so miserable a hooker can't leave his place happy!

😂🤣🤣

Also, her visit didn't seem to make him any happier.

19 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Juke's mom recognized her immediately. I hope we get a good explanation from her why she left and never looked her up.

My guess is she got hooked on drugs, found Jesus and got clean.

20 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Worrell gets recruited to work for Raq and when shit goes sideways, they show their true colors to him with distrusts, threatens his life and points a gun to him. And Worell thought this was an upgrade over Nique.

Money vs. no money and always getting snatching by the cops on the corners.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I said the same thing 🤣

So he was just waiting there just like that for any moment they were gonna show up?

The gun should have been stuck to Nique's hand and his arm should be cramped from standing in that position all that time.

And did Nique tell his girl he would be away for a while, kidnapping the owner of her favorite corner store. Don't bother pack a lunch, they have plenty of Twinkies, Pudding and Cereal to snack on as they wait for Raq.

Poor Juliana! She is taken away and has no family to notice she is missing??! Only Raq noticed but it was for her greedy needs.

Edited by mxc90
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I thought they were gonna give Zisa Juke's song. They probably still will.

They can go that route, but will Zisa have the same effect on the song? Juke is the better singer.

7 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

My guess is she got hooked on drugs, found Jesus and got clean.

Yes. She and Burke may be her influence to get away from Raq and Marvin.

10 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Also, her visit didn't seem to make him any happier.

Nope. He got crankier when the cigarette came out. As if he paid her for sex and to care about his health. "Compassion" costs extra!

• LOL 2
13 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

And did Nique tell his girl he would be away for a while, kidnapping the owner of her favorite corner store. Don't bother pack a lunch, they have plenty of Twinkies, Pudding and Cereal to snack on as they wait for Raq.

Could've took some magazines for Juliana since she missed her shows because Unique play too much! No hospitality at all.

16 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Poor Juliana! She is taken away and has no family to notice she is missing??! Only Raq noticed but it was for her greedy needs.

The only family she had was her ain't-shit husband???

• LOL 1
6 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Could've took some magazines for Juliana since she missed her shows because Unique play too much! No hospitality at all.

Nique has plenty of long-winded boring ass stories that would have kept Juliana awake for days. The look on her face was not from the gun but from Nique's non-stop talking!

7 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

The only family she had was her ain't-shit husband???

I guess. I am going by no one answering the door when Raq came by. I don't think she has anyone else. 

• LOL 1
21 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Yes. She and Burke may be her influence to get away from Raq and Marvin.

Is it a stretch to think that Marvin may have been abusive toward Juke's mom?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Is it a stretch to think that Marvin may have been abusive toward Juke's mom?

Not at all. I can see they will tie Marvin's anger management sessions into this plot. He will tell Juke's mom he is getting help for his issues and apologize for what he had done.

Wow, Juke was putting her whole body into that song. She has a fantastic voice. (The song didn't really sound like something from the 90s though.)

Juke: so y'all want me out here lookin' like a hoochie.
Crown: pretty much. 🥳

I wonder if anger management classes like the one Marvin attends were effective in the long run. Seemed to me like a bunch of woo-woo that doesn't really make any practical sense.

Uh oh, looks like trouble in the trap house. Loud, unsatisfied customers are usually bad for business.

Raq is telling Kanan lie after lie after lie. Guess she thinks he's going to stay a gullible child forever. Probably not.

Det. Burke and her ex-girlfriend looked like mirror images of each other. That must've been weird.

Whoa, Juke's mother recognized her immediately. And it looks like Juke's singing ability is in the genes. (Also, if anyone had asked me, I would've swapped Mary J Blige and LeToya Luckett's roles in the Power books.)

That's all it took to convince Kanan? Pshht, Howard could still be lying. Guess Kanan doesn't know about paternity tests. (Though those could be faked too, especially back then.)

Zisa can actually sing so I don't why they'd do that. It's not like JLo and Christina Milian or Ashanti.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Zisa can actually sing so I don't why they'd do that. It's not like JLo and Christina Milian or Ashanti.

Whoa! The blasphemy!

J-Lo? Ok.

Christina Milian? Fine.

ASHANTI? Those are fighting words 😂

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Whoa! The blasphemy!

J-Lo? Ok.

Christina Milian? Fine.

ASHANTI? Those are fighting words 😂

Lol! I think they meant Christina and Ashanti were providing vocals for JLo (including writing a good number of her early hits). 

Raq stays lying about everything. 

And the one time Marvin makes sense about knowing the players in Jersey before trying to move in, of course she doesn't listen. She really thinks she can go up against the Mafia with no damn intel?!?!? This will certainly be interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

Lol! I think they meant Christina and Ashanti were providing vocals for JLo (including writing a good number of her early hits).

Ok that makes a lot more sense.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ok that makes a lot more sense.

Sorry for the confusion. Yeah, I meant JLo had to have a lot of help in those early years, and initially vocals performed by others were passed off as her own. Since then, technology has improved significantly and they're able to enhance her singing digitally to cover her flaws. Plus it appears she's gotten some training to help her sound better when she's performing live. Throughout her career though, her dancing has arguably been her main talent and it's been used to distract from other weaknesses.

She really thinks she can go up against the Mafia with no damn intel?!?!?

From watching shows like The Sopranos I know not all the mafia families were into selling drugs so maybe she thought she'd find a safe opening? Still, it was an incredibly dumb move. The Italian crime families had hundreds of years of experience and a very broad multi-state network. Raq's got a relatively small portion of NYC, she's a woman, and she's Black. We'll see how far she gets on their turf.

• Love 2

Another good episode though it is starting to be a bit of a problem that a show called Raising Kanan is best when the story isn’t involving Kanan. 

Juke is just taken shot after shot. She sings her heart out but gets criticized for not looking sexy enough by not only Crown but her uncle Now if they have Zisa sing her song only to have some kind of let down by her mother it will just keep pushing her down a dark path. Slowly but surely they are painting the picture of how a sweet young girl becomes the monster she was in the original series. 

So which couple hits the sheets first: Marvin and the anger management lady or Burke and her oddly similar looking ex?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 8/29/2022 at 4:00 AM, ybrik said:

Another good episode though it is starting to be a bit of a problem that a show called Raising Kanan is best when the story isn’t involving Kanan. 

Juke is just taken shot after shot. She sings her heart out but gets criticized for not looking sexy enough by not only Crown but her uncle Now if they have Zisa sing her song only to have some kind of let down by her mother it will just keep pushing her down a dark path. Slowly but surely they are painting the picture of how a sweet young girl becomes the monster she was in the original series. 

So which couple hits the sheets first: Marvin and the anger management lady or Burke and her oddly similar looking ex?

Burke and her ex for sure. 

i thought that too- they looked SO MUCH ALIKE.