Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Out Of This World

• Start Topic

I agree. The Skull and the Planet Collision were my top two favorites. I  think the skull looked a bit better in person than the camera could show, and that probably tipped it over for the win.  That, and the 'cartoonish' satellite on the planetary collision piece probably also affected scoring. A better, more realistic sat would probably have worked. 

The other two were bottom two, but Dan's did have the crack and just didn't seem to fit the overall challenge as well. (And I doubt they would've sent the last woman away before Top 3 at the earliest). 

I wish we saw more about what happens post-annealing, since it looks like there's a lot of work done assembling at that stage. I suspect Dan didn't realize his rondelle cracked until after annealing, so the extra time he had wouldn't really have saved him. 

• Love 2

Something about the guest evaluator just bugged me. Partly it was the lack of a real professor position mentioned. I looked her up and she has a very "look at me" bio page (which is very un-real-scientist-like). She seems to do a lot of speaking, judging, and other not-real-research. I'm just a grump I guess. Full disclosure, I actually got my PhD working on the Voyager project, so I know/knew lots of real space scientists. 

• Love 3
On 7/23/2022 at 1:58 PM, Door County Cherry said:

While the Skeleton was cool, I loved the exploding planet more and would have chosen that

Me too. I was very surprised when the judges chose the skull. They'd seemed way more excited about the other John's work during their evaluation.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:21 AM, dleighg said:

Partly it was the lack of a real professor position mentioned.

Calling her a "space scientist" was so stupid. And then Glasses John was super excited. Isn't he some kind of engineer? It was nice to see a female scientist and I liked how excited she was about space and getting to participate in this which is probably very different than her day-to-day.

• Love 3

I liked the skull cuz it looked like a Neanderthal skull and with the planet inside, it was just kind of saying something deeper. I don't know what exactly, but something. : D

In general, I am liking both John's a lot. 

The wilting tulip giving birth to a baby tulip in pastel colors I do not even associate with space did not do anything for me. 

• Love 1