Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: 2022, The Year of Glass

• Start Topic

The kiss of death again: reference to seeing things like this "in a gift shop." I agree.

I noticed at the presentation, and the judging discussion, that the floor had a lot of water on it. Wonder if that was just an artistic choice?

• Love 1

I noticed the wet floor too (sorry, I'm just now watching this season).  

I'm not artistic, but I honestly find most of these pieces indecipherable.  I'm glad I'm not a judge because I would probably go for the pretty instead of the "artistic."  LOL!  I actually thought the telescope was one of the coolest pieces and the corning ware one of the least appealing.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

The judges do get write ups describing what the artist wants to be read into the piece. 

I suspect judging tends to be based on:

* First impressions, knowing just the theme for the week and/or maybe the artist's theme (like which sin for the 7 deadly sins)

* Second impressions after reading the write up and looking closer.

* Final impressions, formed after talking to the artist and asking some questions. 

And generally, if you can nail the first impression then  you've got a good chance of going forward. If the judges need to talk to you to better understand what's going on, unless it's a major Eureka! moment, you're probably on the bottom and/or going home. 

• Love 4
On 7/27/2022 at 10:00 AM, RoxiP said:

I noticed the wet floor too (sorry, I'm just now watching this season).  

I'm not artistic, but I honestly find most of these pieces indecipherable.  I'm glad I'm not a judge because I would probably go for the pretty instead of the "artistic."  LOL!  I actually thought the telescope was one of the coolest pieces and the corning ware one of the least appealing.  

I'm with you. I will like a piece that apparently is derivative / gift shop / surface meaning only, and I will like a piece left that is innovative /really says something / i see the feelings.....

eh? whatever! I guess I could quote the old canard " I don't know art but I know what I like".

• Love 1