Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Jackson

• Start Topic

Its good to see Lil’Murda recovering. I like him with Grandma and with Uncle Clifford. I liked him with Big Teak too. Lil’Murda has a real sweetness to him.  

Seeing history repeat itself with Terricka and Mercedes was heart wrenching though I don’t think Mercedes has ever been as mean as her mother. Truly. Mercedes has been a victim of circumstances. 

I knew Hall wouldn’t let me down. I was sad and glad to see Terricka break the pattern so that she could at least grow up. Also that Hall tangentially addressed that women of color have the highest number of terminations in this country, a fact that I haven’t seen anywhere in the recent rhetoric. I know this was written and filmed before the Supreme Court decision but you know Hall is well aware of all of the facts. 

I adored Clifford detailing his family history in the Pynk. Americans have become a rootless people in many ways and seeing people still connected to the land they live on was a very nice touch. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

Its good to see Lil’Murda recovering. I like him with Grandma and with Uncle Clifford. I liked him with Big Teak too. Lil’Murda has a real sweetness to him.

He does. I wasn’t in love with the “no condom use” thing, but I buy he and Clifford’s love story. I also like how vulnerable they are with each other. LaMarcus and his frank discussion of being able to “pass” and be gender conforming was well done but not preachy.

Regarding Uncle Clifford and the Pynk- I think his ancestors would be glad for him to have millions of dollars to leave a better legacy for those that come after him.

13 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

Seeing history repeat itself with Terricka and Mercedes was heart wrenching though I don’t think Mercedes has ever been as mean as her mother. Truly. Mercedes has been a victim of circumstances. 

I knew Hall wouldn’t let me down. I was sad and glad to see Terricka break the pattern so that she could at least grow up. Also that Hall tangentially addressed that women of color have the highest number of terminations in this country, a fact that I haven’t seen anywhere in the recent rhetoric. I know this was written and filmed before the Supreme Court decision but you know Hall is well aware of all of the facts. 

I agree (my thoughts are going to jump around a bit). I cannot stand Patrice- she is evil through and through. She wanted to pimp out her daughter to a stranger to pay for dinner (in the flashback), but then was beating her for using having a condom, HYPOCRITE much. Mercedes isn’t evil, mean, not a hypocrite. Terricka’s little behind deserved that smack for her rude statements about Mercedes not having anyone- child who do you think you’re talking to??? But on a small note, at least she conceived with a boy her own age, and it wasn’t a rape/assault situation by a grown ass man.

Like I thought, Shelle had no idea she said those things to Mercedes when she was drunk. Shelle needs rehab, AA and a JOB, but I don’t believe she doesn’t care about Terricka. I think if Shelle had been on her normal game (and not drunk off her ass) she would’ve been parenting and realized Terricka had a boyfriend and gotten her some contraception. Terricka also needs a parent right now, and I’m glad Mercedes was there for her- not that I thought she wouldn’t be, but I’m glad Terricka now knows she is always in her corner. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I agree (my thoughts are going to jump around a bit). I cannot stand Patrice- she is evil through and through. She wanted to pimp out her daughter to a stranger to pay for dinner (in the flashback), but then was beating her for using having a condom, HYPOCRITE much. Mercedes isn’t evil, mean, not a hypocrite. Terricka’s little behind deserved that smack for her rude statements about Mercedes not having anyone- child who do you think you’re talking to??? But on a small note, at least she conceived with a boy her own age, and it wasn’t a rape/assault situation by a grown ass man.

Like I thought, Shelle had no idea she said those things to Mercedes when she was drunk. Shelle needs rehab, AA and a JOB, but I don’t believe she doesn’t care about Terricka. I think if Shelle had been on her normal game (and not drunk off her ass) she would’ve been parenting and realized Terricka had a boyfriend and gotten her some contraception. Terricka also needs a parent right now, and I’m glad Mercedes was there for her- not that I thought she wouldn’t be, but I’m glad Terricka now knows she is always in her corner. 

Fun statistic: the overwhelming majority of teen pregnancies are a teenage girl and as you put it, a “grown ass man.” The stereotype of high school sweethearts is just that, a stereotype and doesn’t represent the norm or majority. For most (all?) of history the grown ass man has skated and the teenage girl has suffered some sort (or several sorts) of life altering, soul destroying punishment. I’m so glad that Terricka is getting a second chance to grow up and let her hips come in. 

I don’t like Shelle. I wouldn’t like her sanctimonious, self righteous ass if she was sober as a judge and talking to god with Patrice. I don’t like that Mercedes had her child taken from her based on what everyone else thought was right. I don’t like that Shelle gleefully participates in damaging a mother child relationship while she masturbates herself with visions of her own suffering goodness. In her own way she’s every bit as evil as Patrice. Shelle blamed a fifteen year old girl for her grown ass husband’s adultery and continues to punish Mercedes and Terricka for sins not theirs rather than fully face the truth, the truth that would remove her narrative of sainthood and make her just another suffering woman. She’s doing incalculable damage, middle class veneer notwithstanding. I don’t like Shelle.

PS - This is not against anything you wrote, just my own strong dislike of the character and situation.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
On 7/25/2022 at 8:04 AM, AuntieMame said:

Fun statistic: the overwhelming majority of teen pregnancies are a teenage girl and as you put it, a “grown ass man.” The stereotype of high school sweethearts is just that, a stereotype and doesn’t represent the norm or majority. For most (all?) of history the grown ass man has skated and the teenage girl has suffered some sort (or several sorts) of life altering, soul destroying punishment. I’m so glad that Terricka is getting a second chance to grow up and let her hips come in. 

Yup! I’m aware. Makes it all the more awful. Two teens getting wrapped up in their hormones and not using contraception, but it being consensual (free from coercion or something like that) is one thing. Stupid, but a part of human development (coming into your sexuality and all)

Adult men preying on teen girls is criminal and morally disgusting. You are so right, most often the adult male (the person with the most social power and resources) skates by, and the teenage girl has the most to lose. Damn shame. In that way, I get why Patrice said Cortez had to raise Terricka- he was an adult, with resources, Mercedes was a child herself. And EVEN IF Mercedes had been 18, it would still be gross and morally wrong even if it wasn’t criminal, Cortez was not 21/22 thinking he was hooking up with an 18yrs old. He was likely in his mid 30s by the looks of Shelle, preying on a TEENAGER. (Yes I’m outraged, where these people that think it’s “okay” for this to happen??)

On 7/25/2022 at 8:04 AM, AuntieMame said:

I don’t like Shelle. I wouldn’t like her sanctimonious, self righteous ass if she was sober as a judge and talking to god with Patrice. I don’t like that Mercedes had her child taken from her based on what everyone else thought was right. I don’t like that Shelle gleefully participates in damaging a mother child relationship while she masturbates herself with visions of her own suffering goodness. In her own way she’s every bit as evil as Patrice. Shelle blamed a fifteen year old girl for her grown ass husband’s adultery and continues to punish Mercedes and Terricka for sins not theirs rather than fully face the truth, the truth that would remove her narrative of sainthood and make her just another suffering woman. She’s doing incalculable damage, middle class veneer notwithstanding. I don’t like Shelle.

PS - This is not against anything you wrote, just my own strong dislike of the character and situation.

No I wouldn’t think this against anything I wrote. 

I get where you’re coming from with Shelle- I wish we had gotten more from her last season when she was sober. I don’t hate her. I think she’s fucked up and an addict and needs to fix herself, but I don’t see her as a Patrice. Patrice willfully hurts her own daughter (stealing, beating, condemning) not under the manipulation of a substance but just because she’s an asshole. And she knows Mercedes will keep coming back for more. (Until she lost her gym, I think that was the end)

Shelle seems to have worked to keep Mercedes in Terricka’s life, for Terricka even though she didn’t like Mercedes. That shows me that there’s genuine care and concern for the girl. I don’t think Mercedes was in any position to be anyone’s primary caregiver for the first decade of the girl’s life. (I think even Mercedes admits this- yes she would visit her sometimes and stay in her life, but that’s different than being a primary caretaker)

I’ve never seen Shelle say or do mean things willfully TO Terricka (although yes she’s been neglectful in her drinking, but nothing has indicated she was neglectful before that). 

I think every adult in this situation is flawed, and Terricka is caught in the middle which is wrong, none of the situation is her fault. But I too am super glad she chose to terminate her pregnancy. Nothing wrong with her having a boyfriend she likes, but she needs some contraception so it doesn’t happen again. And she needs to think is she having sex because she wants to or because she is seeking (non sexual) affection and affirmation with what’s going on at home (they don’t have to be mutually exclusive). 

So how is KeyShawn going to get away from Derrick? Best case I think she could have Autumn take the babies to Uncle Clifford’s house, and Diamond should kill him. Derek just needs to die now. I don’t think he’s capable of redemption and I’m scared for the babies who can’t fight back at all. Domestic violence can touch anyone or any situation- but Derek’s insecurities, the money concerns, his lack of self esteem and alcohol is a powder keg. And now he’s hurt his own baby, who’s THREE. I understand how the sweet teenage boy who was so thoughtful and considerate of KeyShawn, turned into this abuser, but I just mourn the guy he was.

Yup, he needs to die. 

• Love 5
On 7/25/2022 at 10:10 AM, Scarlett45 said:

So how is KeyShawn going to get away from Derrick? Best case I think she could have Autumn take the babies to Uncle Clifford’s house, and Diamond should kill him. Derek just needs to die now. I don’t think he’s capable of redemption and I’m scared for the babies who can’t fight back at all. Domestic violence can touch anyone or any situation- but Derek’s insecurities, the money concerns, his lack of self esteem and alcohol is a powder keg. And now he’s hurt his own baby, who’s THREE. I understand how the sweet teenage boy who was so thoughtful and considerate of KeyShawn, turned into this abuser, but I just mourn the guy he was.

Yup, he needs to die. 

I want Woddy to take out Derrick the way he took out Rome. Then he can process the body.

• Fire 1
  • Love 2

I don't think Shelle is evil a la Patrice, but I think she raised Terricka for the wrong reasons, and resents her. And I think the show is pushing the idea that Mercedes is the one who truly cares about her, which I'm not thrilled about.

Mercedes and Terricka have a lot more self control than I do, because a white protester yelling "Black lives matter!" at me in that situation would get a deeply unpleasant reaction indeed.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1