10. Ali Stoner (Fans)
  11. Matt Landmark (Fans)
  12. Harry Tomlinson (Fans)
  13. Steph Woon (Fans)
  14. Michael Weldon (Faves)
  15. Tommy Pham (Faves)
  16. Montana Hughes (Fans)

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Yes, it was a tad emotional, but at least it felt genuine.  Maybe I'm getting to be a softie in my old age but it's hard not to like the friendship between a younger straight guy and an older gay man where they just love and respect one another like brothers.  I very much doubt Tommy would call Alvin "girl" (are you reading this, MINDY - I heard you at it again tonight and felt like slapping you).  It definitely got a bit dusty in my lounge room. 

Now I REALLY want to try this Drunken Chicken, either version.  

Also on my hit list tonight is whatever idiot gave away in the previews that Alvin was going to be in the final two (because they had him saying he was making Drunken Chicken 2.0 and when he didn't do this in round 1 or 2, it was extremely obvious).

Here is the recap.

Meanwhile, Keyma is going all-in: cooking all of the fish in the first round and if worse comes to worst, making a dish based on the snapper's personality in round two.

It seems to be a day for experimentation; just as Sarah is pushing herself to try new things by making an Indian dish, Aldo is taking himself out of his comfort zone by cooking Italian. He explains to the judges that he is going to wrap a small piece of fish in paper and bake it. They ask him why. He doesn't know: he just feels it's something a man has to do at some time in his life.

😂

Montana is baffling the observers on the balcony by removing the skin from her chicken and fashioning it into a crude facemask. She explains to Andy that she is making a dessert using chicken, causing Andy to laugh like a man who has looked into the mouth of madness.

That really sounded truly disgusting - maybe they felt they had to reward her for doing something so batshit crazy?

Tasting time. Aldo's fish is fantastic, Alvin's chicken is great, Montana's dessert is utterly baffling, and Tommy's broth is full of scales. In the end, Aldo is safe because he cooked a good dish and Montana is safe because there's some kind of clause in her contract that says she can only be eliminated via a High Court decision.

Actually, that would be Daniel. 🙄

Time is up. The music has become very sad. There is a powerful sense that a beloved family pet is about to be shot. It's all the more tragic because of all the people up on the balcony that we all really want to go home. You know who I mean. Yep. Them.

Out there somewhere, I can hear @Aerobicidal starting to cheer!

• Wink 1

I never thought it would happen, but I actually felt bad for Tommy, and not just because he was eliminated. He seemed to have really bad luck. Of course, this all might be editorial manipulation, but I will say for certain that I would rather have seen Montana eliminated.

So, I felt bad for Tommy, but I didn't need to put on the soundtrack to Sophie's Choice and cry myself into a state of dehydration. I'm ready for someone else to go home ASAP.

• Mind Blown 1

Tommy shouldn’t be in round 2 to begin with. Was Sarah’s dish a bit similar to what Minoli made before, cured fish with curry leaves? And who eats papadom with raw fish? 🤦🏻‍♀️

The judges preferred Montana’s parfait with chicken fat caramel and chicken crumb over Alvin’s ayam percik. And they think they have sophisticated palates? Nobody can convince me that the chickeny dessert was yummier than ayam percik. What a joke! 🙄

Did the production team amplify Tommy and Alvin’s heartbeat sound when they hugged and their mics pressed against each other for dramatic purposes? It worked because I cried, and I don’t even like Tommy. The emotional drama was fine but why it has to be Julie as the narrator? I have enough of her. Ugh.😖

I can’t believe Daniel and Montana are still in the competition while good cooks like Michael, Sashi, Minoli and Tommy are gone. 😠😤😡🤬

• Like 1

Aldo, Mindy and Montana? That's a bottom three I can get on board with. Talk about spoilt for choice! 🤣 Seriously, it should be Montana who goes but it won't be. They are so determined to keep a couple of Fans there way past their use-by date and she's been the beneficiary. Well, one of them. Was Daniel trying to squeeze out a few sympathy tears tonight? 😒 I don't think you'll find many on this forum, mate. We entirely agree when you say, "I don't even know why I'm here!"

• LOL 2
(edited)

If I took a drink every time the judges used a word meaning "large" or "small," I would be drunken chicken 50.0. I also might not have noticed how Andy and Jock acted like Daniel not having a technical name for his sauce was a crime against beautiful dainty little foods but then Melissa said the opposite during the judging.

"The Existence of Humanity Depends on this Creme Caramel" is not my favorite song from this season, but I appreciated the percussive elements in it.

Aldo says it's the first time he's felt unsure about what he's cooked. When in the previous episode he intentionally cooked fish in a way that  its doneness wouldn't be testable until the judging. And yet, I think that was a smarter choice than deciding to make a panzanella in an hour with no pre-made bread element.

The bottom three today are the three I'm most interesting in going (I know Daniel would be a more popular choice, but I find both Aldo and Mindy more annoying even if they're better cooks). I think Aldo and Montana are both more likely boots than Mindy, but let's see the show prove me wrong yet again.

ETA: Billie's dish looked amazing and I'm not even a big dessert person. She really seems unbeatable, and I definitely hope she wins the whole season.

Edited by Aerobicidal
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The producers have weaponised Andy and “Barry” to make Daniel more relatable and likeable. It worked. Sympathy for Daniel is pouring in, the judges have been called bullies and A-holes. Mission accomplished! Get ready to see Daniel in the finale! I don’t understand why people keep falling for the obvious trick. 🤦🏻‍♀️😏

I cannot wait for Montana or Aldo to be gone tomorrow, both overstay and undeserving to be in Top 10. I think Mindy will be okay despite the 99 ingredients. You go girlfriend!!! 🤣

Billie’s cookies & cream choux buns are soooooo mouth watering! 😍🤤

55E329BD-77D0-4FD1-9B63-6B68724B3480.jpeg

• Love 1

OMG, I am finally catching up! This whole time I'm watching and thinking... I wonder if everyone else is over Aldo crying his stupid "nonna love family heart tears" all the damn time! And, why are Montana and Daniel still there?!?! They are clearly dragging some fans to the end. I want Billie to win again. She's no nonsense and no drama. They will try to stop her, but she is just good enough to make it impossible! Glad you guys are still bringing the snark.

@CrinkleCutCat MasterChef UK Professionals is also my favorite cookery show ever hands down! Love the regular seasons too. There is a forum here for it, but not too many watch. I am going to miss Monica terribly.  

• Love 3

Whilst some/many viewers might want to see a ‘fan’ reach the final stages of this ‘competition’, I’d say most would prefer it to only happen with decent judging not producer-induced DRAHMA. I wish there was blind tasting sometimes!

I’m a passenger on the Send Montana and Daniel Home Train. Choo Choo!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

So far, Montana has survived these eliminations:

1. Great Aussie Jaffle Elimination
  2. 90-Minutes, 2-Rounds Elimination Challenge 
  3. Pressure Test: Donato Toce’s Honey
  4. All-In Elimination: Marco Pierre White's Pantry
  5. Melissa Cryptic Pressure Test: Andreas Papadakis' Tipomisu
  6. Rick Stein's All-In Postcard Elimination 
  7. Three Rounds, One Ingredient Elimination

Impressive huh!!! 😱

giphy.gif

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Mind Blown 2
14 minutes ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

I just had a look at the official MasterChef FB page. I know it’s a moderated page, but there are absolutely NO negative comments to be seen!

Same goes with IG, negative comments are quickly deleted…

• Mind Blown 1

Well, that was a satisfying result.  It doesn't make it any better that Montana outlasted Michael, which should never have happened in any universe, but tonight it was the only fair decision (even though she put in a good effort for someone who doesn't cook dishes like that very much).  I did wonder if the editors were setting us up for a surprise Mindy boot i.e. the pressure test was almost tailor made for her skills, yet she still went home - that would have been so much more dramatic!  And yes, Aldo made mistakes too but Montana definitely made more.

Recap!

The dish is Khanh's seafood plate, which consists on a plate, on which is some seafood. To go into more detail, the dish has 99 ingredients, 143 steps and 13 pages in the recipe. The winner of the challenge will be the first contestant to recognise that it is not worth the effort and give up.

😂

Meanwhile Montana sets the kitchen on fire just because she can. "I just want to do this dish justice because I think in the last few cooks I've started to find my feet and my confidence," she says, which is awkward because we've seen her last few cooks and…well…

Which episode was that?

"Come on Mindy, the world is your oyster!" yells Sarah, fully believing that this is an acceptable thing for an adult human to say. "Give me the pearl!" Mindy replies with a bizarre body movement. Everyone laughs instead of throwing up because MasterChef does weird things to people. Dan follows up with "don't be skimpy with that scampi", triggering an Australian Federal Police investigation into the entire show for hate crimes.

With fifteen minutes to go, it's time to start plating up and adding those little finishing touches that transform a huge heap of revolting ocean muck into something truly overpriced. 

Pretty much! 🤣

Thus the judges are left with a difficult choice: Aldo or Montana? Does inconsistent crab beat shellful shellfish? In the end it's an upset: despite her and the producers' best efforts, Montana is going home. Aldo gives her a big "thank god it's you and not me" hug, and off she goes to the land of TikTok, where dreams really do come true.

I think Ben has as much of a problem with Montana's "occupation" as I do!

• Love 1

Thinking more about the outcome the producers want…. Whilst they need to ensure a fan or two makes it through to the end, I predict they would prefer a fave to win: that then demonstrates the positive impact this show has had on their cooking ‘journey’.

• Like 1
(edited)

Since Montana is so good at eliminating favorites, I somehow wish that she could've done one last favor for us by eliminating Aldo. Then she can go. Am I crazy? 😂

But hey, am not complaining, it's way overdue. Yeah, am still bitter over what happened to Michael.

The protected pet is now gone, finally‼️👍🏻

giphy.gif

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Between the punny balcony and Aldo's narration, I would only agree to visit the set of this show if I could wear noise-canceling headphones the entire time.

So the end of Montana's story arc was "I want to transcend (or, as Melissa might say, traverse) TikTok and do fine dining." Well, not quite the greatest narrative in history, but she was pretty classy in this episode.

That dish! It was like five courses of a tasting menu at the same time. Definitely not something I would order even if I could eat shellfish, but I looked up the chef's restaurants and both have menus that sound much more appealing than how that dish looked.

I feel like this pressure test would have resulted in epic disasters and meltdowns in some previous seasons of the show (hello, year of Emma Dean) so good for everyone for not doing that, I guess? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Secret ingredient for tonite’s service challenge is…💖

22B541F3-404D-4CD0-90E9-6FDA00C057CD.jpeg

Wow, this will be a tear-fest of an episode.  I reckon Aldo will personally flood out the kitchen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, katisha said:

Wow, this will be a tear-fest of an episode.  I reckon Aldo will personally flood out the kitchen.

🤣🤣🤣

I hope we get to see Alvin’s half Italian partner (is he as charming as Aldo?) and Sarah’s handsome son. 😘

ETA:

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
Added a tweet!
  • Like 1

The TV ad preview being advertised on the Masterchef Facebook page suggests Aldo won't just have his husband taking part in this episode.  I have a feeling someone from Italy will be there too - just not sure if it's his lucky charm magic Nonna!

(edited)

E48:  Loved Ones Service Challenge

Hay fever? Peeling onions? Dust in my eyes? Nah… I was teary watching the family reunions, especially Aldo who hasn’t seen his mum and sisters for soooo long. I have a French daughter-in-law who lives with my son here in Australia and she hasn’t seen her mum since then so I can relate to how hard it is.

I’m Julie: I have now-adult children with their own busy lives and I too LOVE spending time with them. Cooking a meal for them is one way I maintain my bond with them and show my love. Bonus is for Julie to show them another side of her ‘just mum’ role. We become so less important and relevant in our kids lives as they get older and independent so an opportunity for Julie to show her true self to her kids is important.

After this episode, I’m probably going down the relatable and sentimental path of barracking for Julie must-say-her-whole-name-out-loud-Goodwin! I’m Julie after all 🤷‍♀️!

ps/ I didn’t even mention anything about the food 🤦‍♀️
I’m not a fan of desserts that are too clever for their own good and aren’t sweet enough! If the judges are saying your dessert isn’t sweet enough that means it’s really not sweet at all! Would sweetness have cancelled out the herb flavour?

Edited by CrinkleCutCat
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Yeah, even this old cynic was getting a bit teary over some of those reunions!  It was certainly very nice of Masterchef to reunite Aldo with his family members like that.  It was interesting to see how different some families are in regards to expressing emotions.  Billie is a very cool, calm person in the kitchen and doesn't display a great deal of emotion and her family are also low-key and not especially demonstrative!  If it was me on Masterchef, my family reunion would have been like Billie's as we don't tend to be overly-emotional.  Everyone shows love in different ways. :)  But Alvin giving his partner a huge hug, Julie with her hubby and sons...yes, dust in my living room too!

I found Mindy incredibly overbearing and bossy in the early part of this season but she's mellowed out and tonight I felt she worked well WITH Daniel rather than just ordering him around like a sous chef, and as a result they made a really good dish.  

1 hour ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

I’m not a fan of desserts that are too clever for their own good and aren’t sweet enough! If the judges are saying your dessert isn’t sweet enough that means it’s really not sweet at all!

I'm with you on that.  I get that savoury sweet is a thing now but if I wanted a savoury last course of a meal, I'd order another entree.  I want my sweets to be, well, sweet!  But Billie did work with Heston Blumenthal for a while, didn't she, and it seems some of his more out there ideas rubbed off on her.  As for Keyma, if there had to be only two Fans left at this stage I'm glad she's one of them.  She's a genuinely lovely soul and has some excellent skills too.  

I thought tonight's episode might not be recapped but it was!

• Love 2

If “everyone was shellshocked” by Montana’s elimination, I’m really excited to see what “the biggest surprise yet” will be. Andy wearing dress shoes? Mel not using the word “traverse”? Aldo cooking something Italian?

Anyway, I don't have much to say about this episode. I like seeing the friends/family and I'm happy the contestants get that opportunity. I'm glad the judges were actually somewhat critical, but I am feeling like the critiques are trying to justify a narrative that Keyma and Daniel are potential winners, and I don't think they should be (I also don't think either of them will actually win, either). It's very typical of this show.

I feel like Aldo and Alvin are getting persona non-finalist edits the most of anyone, which is half disappointing for me because I do like Alvin quite a bit.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ahaaa! Now we know why they didn’t eliminate Aldo. His mom and sister were already OTW. 🤣

I wonder who decided on the “Herbs” theme - the producers or Coles? You invited some kids and you chose this theme? It’s silly.

It’s lovely to see the Top 8 reunited with their families. It’s emotional definitely but I didn’t cry. I am so so sick and tired of seeing Julie and Aldo being front and centre of almost every episodes. Enough already‼️ Other contestants deserve some extra screen times as well. 🙄

If Keyma didn’t make the dessert by herself, I bet she won’t be featured that much and kept in the background as usual.

OMG! Doofus Andy didn’t find any bone in his dishes tonite. Shocking! 😱

For a second, I thought Daniel is related to Pete Campbell from S13.

I wonder why Mindy’s wife couldn’t make it. She works with EndemolShine/Ch10 that produces this show right?

Mr. Billie and her family are as zen as she is, cool as cucumber!

The stars of this episode are definitely Jackson and Phoenix, cheeky little spies! 😍

I still remember little Seraphina (Kishwar’s daughter). She stole last year’s episode with her cheekiness! 😘

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I still remember little Seraphina (Kishwar’s daughter). She stole last year’s episode with her cheekiness! 😘

Some of the contestants have had very memorable children.  One of Sashi's sons was very cool too :)

• Wink 1

Well, that was a pretty lame episode.  I far prefer it when a cooking show features at least A dish I might actually want to try.  I particularly felt for Julie getting stuck with trying to make something tasty out of noxious weeds.  Sarah said she'd cooked with chestnuts before - shouldn't she have realised they are very labour intensive and she'd need to make sure she left enough time to not serve raw chicken? Maybe she didn't want to ruin her fine dining/French training reputation by admitting she'd only used canned ones (which Julie was happy to do!) The challenge should have been a no-brainer for Alvin to win but again, he said he had experience cooking sea urchin, so why didn't he realise that cooking the noodles over heat wasn't the right way to prepare that dish?  So on balance, Keyma deserved to win and she probably got lucky in having first choice of those awful ingredients.  That sorbet did end up a beautiful colour and looked appetising.  

• Like 2

Can someone tell me why Keymar’s idea of donuts was not a good idea to pair with her prickly pear sorbet but Jock’s suggestion of cake was a good idea?! To me anything cakey (including a donut, which is just a fried cake, right?!) just doesn’t work with a frozen icy sorbet element!

• Applause 1

I think Sarah said she'd worked with nettles & sea urchins before, not chestnuts. I suppose she chose them because the flavor is probably the easiest to work with. 

• Useful 1

OMG, that’s the worst immunity challenge ever! 🤣

When many of us are struggling to make ends meet, the food wastage on this episode is unbelievable. Julie wasted a beautiful fish and the judges thought it looked funny in the oven. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I saw some comments online about Sarah’s band-aid touching her chicken. Euwww! I didn’t notice this and lazy to rewatch.

Looking forward to see the Disney Prince with his bouncy locks on Sunday’s elimination. Woohoo! 😍😘🥰

• Like 1
On 6/22/2022 at 10:20 PM, katisha said:

Some of the contestants have had very memorable children.  One of Sashi's sons was very cool too :)

I misread this as "memorable chicken" and was thinking I need to start a jam band with that as its name.

The prickly challenge was one of the worst episodes I can remember in a long time. Serves me right for wishing the challenges were harder. I have eaten all four of the featured ingredients and cooked with one (chestnuts) and--while I still have nightmares about burning my hands trying to peel roasted chestnuts--I really like nettles, chestnuts, and uni. Prickly pears . . . are boring. Keyma wouldn't have been eliminated next anyway, in my opinion, as they're desperate to keep her and Daniel at the expense of Aldo and Alvin. 

That being said, I don't doubt that Keyma deserved the win considering Alvin totally squandered what should have been a couple of major advantages and the other two made comic relief errors. 

Emma Dean still would have finished fifth if she had been competing in this episode!

• LOL 1

RECAP:

An eventful week that ended with the sh!tt!est immunity challenge ever, it's embarrassing!

Mel was on sick leave for several episodes when Barry & Andy decided to eliminate her pet. Bye Tommy!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Alvin has to bring out the big gun to save himself from being eliminated. He lost to Montana's chickeny dessert in round 2, can you believe it? The judges were clearly having foodgasm over Alvin's Drunken Chicken 2.0, giggling like little girls..

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Khanh Nguyen brought another challenging pressure test (99 ingredients seafoods platter) that made Aldo sweating heavily and Mindy dancing happily.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

After surviving 7 various elimination rounds, Montana can no longer avoid the inevitable. Her dream to be in the Top 10 of MCAU finally came true. Bye bye TikTok girl!

giphy.gif

Family reunion time!!! 8 families, more tears, more drama...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Keyma won an immunity from Sunday's elimination by default, she screwed-up the least.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif